What would be considered a successful season?

What would you consider a successful season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not becoming a playoff team would be a disaster. In that event, I would favor trading Eichel in a Pierre Turgeon like blockbuster.

We all would love it if they can make the playoffs. And that is a big hill to climb with a number of smaller needle-mover acquisitions needing mostly to work out and internal development to happen. The baseline of "just stop being a laughing stock" is just a smidge below "be competitive almost every night" for me and sadly that seems like a bar that should be easy to get over yet here we are, wondering... They have a lot of teams to get over, not really any that look like they've taken marked steps back and a couple in the conference (and one in the division) who have taken steps forward.

Also, for a Turgeon-LaFontaine type deal, they would need to find a team that wants to make that sort of shuffle. And is Jack the Pete in that deal or the Patty?

Reactions: jd1970

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
NHL Power Rankings: Separating optimism from the real...

26. Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres will need to show they have more than one line that can score. Last season, they relied entirely upon the trio of Jeff Skinner-Jack Eichel-Sam Reinhart. Buffalo plans to split them up to balance the offense, and they’ll need to carry their own lines if the team wants to move up. – John Vogl

It’s cliché, but goaltending is the main focus. There are so many new things that will happen with the Sabres so things will be a bit in flux. That puts the onus on the goalies to be steady and to keep things in check while the rest of the players finds their way. The goalies need bounce-back seasons themselves, so it’s vital for them to come out strong. – Joe Yerdon

Buffalo is the team I’m most interested in watching due to how much high-end young talent is on that roster. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect the Sabres to be a playoff team, but to see if they can take significant positive steps toward what I think that group of players could become. – Corey Pronman

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I also don't think you realize that the Islanders weren't in a great position at all...they had just grabbed our former starter in Lehner and lost Tavares after making the playoffs like once this decade....they weren't in a spot that was necessarily better than the Sabres its hard to say that they even have better players overall.

The thing is that the system that Trotz implemented and the one that Krueger is implementing are almost polar opposites.

I doubt that you will see the very structured defensive play that Trotz & Korn implemented with the Isles here.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Best- and worst-case scenario for each team in the NHL’s Atlantic Division - Sportsnet.ca

Buffalo
Sabres

2018-19 finish: 33-39-10, missed playoffs

Major additions: Colin Miller, Marcus Johansson, Jimmy Vesey, Henri Jokiharju, head coach Ralph Krueger

Major subtractions: Alex Nylander

Best-case scenario: Buffalo’s first post-season berth since 2011 is never in doubt. Krueger completely changes the culture and galvanizes this burgeoning roster similar to when he led a Team Europe with low expectations to the final at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. Victor Olofsson earns a spot on the top line and is a surprise producer for a team that is a buyer at the trade deadline, not a seller like usual. Captain Jack Eichel cements himself as a superstar with his first 30-goal/100-point effort and Rasmus Dahlin wonders what’s this sophomore slump people speak of as he reminds everyone that, just like Connor McDavid, he is a generational talent that opposing teams have to specifically plan for. They’re still a year and a franchise goalie away from being a Cup contender, but they win their first playoff series since 2007.

Worst-case scenario: It’s same old, same old in Western New York. Eichel is frequently heard venting his frustration during post-game scrums as his teammates don’t perform up to his standards. Rasmus Ristolainen puts GM Jason Botterill in a tough spot by demanding a trade mid-season. Carter Hutton and Linus Ullmark are nothing more than a Swiss cheese goalie tandem and by the time the Christmas break rolls around half the roster looks like nothing more than rental players.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I believe there is a difference between improvement and successful. Being in playoff contention until the last week or two of the season is an improvement and may make the board just happy enough so that we don't kill each other next off season. Making the playoffs is the cellar to a successful season. It would show a marked improvement from the previous season and truly give hope that the franchise is headed in a positive direction. Winning one or more rounds would be the icing on the cake. That said, the realistic expectations for the current roster may be different than what constitutes a successful season or even a marked improvement over last season.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
The worst case just looks too real for comfort.

Although every time I read the below I feel a little better.

Major additions: Colin Miller, Marcus Johansson, Jimmy Vesey, Henri Jokiharju, head coach Ralph Krueger

Major subtractions: Alex Nylander

The major additions make me feel a little better, but then I see that there's only one major subtraction, and he wasn't even on the main roster for the majority of the season...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The major additions make me feel a little better, but then I see that there's only one major subtraction, and he wasn't even on the main roster for the majority of the season...

The problem I have with the major additions list is that it didn't address two of the biggest issues this team had last season:

2c

Goaltender

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Playoffs would be nice, but I don't need them this year. The rebuild is a process that we've bungled through for a few years, but we're finally going the right direction by drafting and developing talent properly. That talent is going to keep pushing its way onto the roster and pushing out the dead weight, but we're not there yet. We hopefully finally have a competent coaching group to get the most out of the talent. What I want to see this year is a legitimate playoff push with consistency and confidence increasing rather than decreasing as the season goes on. If that happens, the bar next year will be playoffs. If we have another year like last year, that might be it for me in terms of actively following the team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
LeBrun: NHL coaches offer their picks for surprising team...

“Buffalo. Players have underachieved,’’ one coach said. “Culture has been a big question mark. Ralph is infectious. Understands leadership and uniting people. He will be the difference maker.’’

Added another coach who picked Buffalo as his surprise team: “I’m thinking Ralph connects with these guys and they have a great run.’’

A third head coach also picked Buffalo.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think they are going to wait for Mitts or Cozens to be that guy at this point.

And so we get less than stellar teams to watch for the second straight season.

What current player would you like them to get as the 2C?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What current player would you like them to get as the 2C?

Given where we are in the off season, I doubt there is anyone of note that is available.

If I had my way, they never would have traded away ROR in the first place. I knew that it would be easier said than done to replace him and here we are.

Botterill created a hole in the lineup and hasn't filled it.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Given where we are in the off season, I doubt there is anyone of note that is available.

If I had my way, they never would have traded away ROR in the first place. I knew that it would be easier said than done to replace him and here we are.

Botterill created a hole in the lineup and hasn't filled it.

I agree that they would have a hard time replacing him. I don't think it's possible for that hole to be filled. There aren't any 2C on the market.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree that they would have a hard time replacing him. I don't think it's possible for that hole to be filled. There aren't any 2C on the market.

The problem is that Botterill created the problem on 7/1/2018 and he hasn't solved the problem in the 15 months since.

He seems to be planning on waiting for Mitts or Cozens to fill that hole one day. So, we have a roster to start the second straight season without a really good answer at 2C.

It has been the same approach in goal where Hutton and Ullmark weren't great last year and the answer has appeared to be a hope that coaching will change things as he didn't make a personnel move beyond adding Hammond as the 3rd goalie in the organizational depth chart.

Longer term, Botts appears to be hoping that UPL develops into a franchise goalie one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad