What would be considered a successful season?

What would you consider a successful season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
So, what would it take for you to consider the upcoming season to be a success? Discuss.

For me, the most important thing would be to gain consistency and generally play better. Making the playoffs would be great, but might be a bit too much to ask for. If they improve on the ice, end up with ~90 points and stay in playoff contention into 2020, I would consider that an OK result and basically be fine with it.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Next year is when I expect the "transition" to hit the next level, personally. A handful of vets too many still this year that underperform, have one year left, and are just waiting for their cue to exit (Sobotka, Scandella, Bogosian, Sheary, etc).

If we're in playoff contention come Jan/Feb 2020 and just miss the playoffs... serious playoff contention and not 'playing like crap but riding a hot start/10 game win streak' contention.... I call that a win for this year. Knowing our trajectory is pointing upward as these pieces continue to swap out for younger, hungrier, better talent simmering in Rochester and elsewhere.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Originally said "contention until January" thinking there were a ton of top teams, but switched to playoffs after realizing we should be battling for 6-8. TB, Wash, Tor, Boston, and Devils being my top 5. I'd be slightly underwhelmed by a 90 point finish and no playoffs, but would be kinda ok as the team really seemed to be crawling outta the hole. I have faith in Krueger, I like how most of the young guys have developed, and I think Dahlin's play this year could be the X factor.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I feel the 2nd choice should be two different choices. I’d go 50/50 with that one.

I’d consider high 80s/Low 90s a successful season for this group of guys.

We were still in playoff contention when January rolled around, this year it should be when April rolls around.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Playing like we did during our win streak.. just not completely folding after that. So I answered making the playoffs, it's just a tough division.

Reactions: Ratatoskr

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Every year I vote “make the playoffs”. It’s not even an ambitious goal, either. More than half the league makes it so asking for a playoff berth is not extraordinary.

this team won 10 straight games last and somehow still missed the playoffs by more than 10 points. It’s unbelievable.

I need a playoff berth. Anything less is a massive disappointment.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Getting to the playoffs will be a process.

Looking at a new coaching staff, I don't believe that setting the bar at making the playoffs this year is realistic.

For me, I think this team needs to be better this year under RK and staff and get to the point where making the playoffs next year feels like a realistic expectation 12 months from now.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
The real question is: Would you be ok/happy/sad if they reach the conference finals, only to lose and get swept by the Leafs?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The real question is: Would you be ok/happy/sad if they reach the conference finals, only to lose and get swept by the Leafs?

We could lose in OT in Game 7 to Auston's Stache in the CFs and I would be so excited.

It would mean not only that they ended the playoff drought, but that they won not one, but two series before that.

Sure, losing in the ECFs would suck. And losing to TO would make that worse. But, I'll take that pain over watching a bad team and talking about lottery odds from Christmas on.

Reactions: Aladyyn

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm having a hard time answering this.

To me success is making the playoffs, but for this roster getting high 80s or low 90s would be an over-performance.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
until we develop the patriots mentality of anything less than a championship is unsuccessful, this will not be a successful team

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Went with playoffs for the poll. Of course that would be the true sign of a successful season.

But Realistically for me, I need to see important games in March and April. If it comes down to the wire and we miss out by 2-3 points for that final wildcard spot like Montreal last season. I can take that.

Anything less and it’s another wasted year

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Getting to the playoffs will be a process.

Looking at a new coaching staff, I don't believe that setting the bar at making the playoffs this year is realistic.

For me, I think this team needs to be better this year under RK and staff and get to the point where making the playoffs next year feels like a realistic expectation 12 months from now.
It was for the Isles and Blues. I am not laying the blame at the feet of RK if they do not, I will save that for the guy that had a year plus from the end of the streak for that.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Playoffs or bust. This team and management group needs to get going NOW. I'm gonna be ****ing pissed if we hear the same "we need to learn how to win" crap heading into next season. We already completely wasted Eichel and Reinhart's ELCs and we're at least sort of trending to do the same with Dahlin's.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Is there really a single person our there who thinks this team can make the playoffs? That's not "success," that's a miracle.

I do. I look at our squad vs. Montreal's, for example, and I like our odds. I posted my top 5 above, and I think the battle for 6-8 is easily winnable. We have some holes, but I think we have so many quality D pieces that one early season trade for a top 6 forward helps us immensely. I look at how Trotz turned NYI around and say that Krueger could have nearly the same impact with what imo is a much better team. Goaltending is still a question mark, but I'm hoping Ullmark turns a corner and Hutton settles into a backup role.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
I'm having a hard time answering this.

To me success is making the playoffs, but for this roster getting high 80s or low 90s would be an over-performance.
Yeah, I could have phrased this better. I meant something like "What's the minimum result for you to not consider the season a bust". For me, that would be significant progress both on the ice and in the standings, even if the playoffs would ultimately not be reached.

Seems like many posters wouldn't accept anything less than reaching the postseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->