What will the nhl look like in 30 years?

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I doubt you'd ever see expansion beyond continental US & Canada. Can't expect Euro teams to play over half their games in 5-9 hour time differences, same goes for the US/Canadian teams.

Do think they'll have wider ice surfaces though.
There’s no reason to not expand to Mexico

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Not really no. Fights add an entire layer of entertainment now missing.
Unfortunately, fights will be pretty much gone within 5-10 years. What’s the rule in the OHL now? 3 fights/year then fines and suspensions? And with the instigator rule, you can turtle and the other guy gets 2+5+10. Coming to the nhl soon.

PoppaDawg

Jun 23, 2009
I think equipment, particularly helmets, will get significantly better. Allowing more hitting. Fighting too.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
40 teams
hitting and fighting still prevalent
no ads on jerseys whatsoever
legalized in-arena betting
some female referees and coaching staff
$150 beers
Prop bets in game will be awesome

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
-Bigger Nets
-Kicking Allowed
-No hitting/fighting
-HfBoards will talk about the good old days when Crosby and OV were better than any players at the current time

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Somewhere between the next 30 years the Finnish dominance will begin and likely continue some years past that 30 years. There are 2 big factors for this.

1st. Hockey will be more popular than ever but in a way less popular than what it used to be, meaning that by 30 years many more nations and ethniticies have accepted the sport which will lead the game to be more spread than what it ia now, main growth areas will be China, USA and some central European countries.

However hockeys popularity will slightly drop in more traditional places like Canada, Sweden, US hockey towns etc. But these places will still produce many players even then.

All this will happen everywhere expect Finland.

Finland is already living "The Golden age" Atm but this is only the beginning, NHL stars and WJC succes will turn into even more NHL stars and mens World Championships which will lead to even MORE NHL stars and Olympic/ World Cup success. While most other big 7 hockey nations keep regressing Fins are just getting started, hockeys popularity in the country will be even more established as the king than what it already is (Ainec).

Eventually the Finnish era of hockey domination will come to end when Chinas hockey program starts to deliver high quality players, I dont think that China will take the crown from Finland at least right away (maybe gradually over the years) But these 2 countries will be the favourites for decades, probably having quite a rivalry by then.

So for the NHL most of the superstars will be Finnish and then later Chinese and Finnish, Canadiens will remain majority in the league but mostly in depth roles with some high end talents here and there.

Also the league will be less physical, fightin will probably be gone and hitting is more tuned down that it is atm.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Tough to say. 4 years ago it looked like the United States was headed for it's demise, but thankfully there were enough people who stepped up and did something, and now it's headed back in the right direction. The NHL is trending towards the wrong path, but I know it's a sport that has too many values, and too many good people who have built it to what it is, that the attempt by the newer, much softer crowd to try and change it won't happen. Hockey will survive and prosper for the same reasons the US has been able to

The Leafs will still be in their Cup drought

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
It will consist of entirely AI hockey machines that shoot at 100% shooting percentage against goalies with 1.00 save percentage... what will happen?!?!?!? Who will win?? Tune in to the AIHL, formerly the NHL, formerly consisting of actual humans. Where did all those humans go anyway??

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The NHL will adapt to our ever-evolving technology and it will be a virtual sport with simulated players on the ice rather than a live one, thus solving the player safety (concussion specifically) conundrum. It will still look realistic enough to draw an audience but attendance overall will decline, but the sport itself will grow as technology will allow it to be global sport.

Junior players will continue to play in their current leagues and drafting will continue as is. Following their draft, they will run a series of tests similar to the combine where they will be measured up against the perfect hockey player (rated 100 in every skill) and will be given a score, and based on that they will have a virtual hockey player created based on their realistic skills. NHL players will also go through these testings prior to the start of every year, thus continuing to require extensive off-season training. The game will be far more focused on skill rather than the physical aspect, since virtual players hitting each other won't result in real-life injuries or any sort of damage, the physical aspect of the game will be diminished and not nearly as valuable as it once was.

Players and teams will have their virtual game at the arena, where they will be hooked to a machine that wires a connection between their brains and their bodies and they will enter the virtual ice and play the game. Technology will allow the players to play based on their reported strength, stamina, creativity, shooting, etc. so each player will still have a defined role, regardless of what line they're on.

I think the world is already headed in that direction as it is, we see it in games such as golf and baseball, and even in past live events such as coachella that drew thousands of fans for holographic performances.

Last edited:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
’average people” are the ones that the new nhl is trying to cater to. Not fans that have been watching the game 20+ years.

I've been a fan for more than 20+ years and the NHL caters to me just fine. What am I missing?

Can't the league cater to "20+ yr fans" and "average" people? (whatever "average people" means)

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
giphy.gif
Corey Schneider hasn’t won a game all year. There’s no way he’ll still be in the league in 30 years.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
New arenas will be built with retractable roofs and Saturday night games will now be outdoor games.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I've been a fan for more than 20+ years and the NHL caters to me just fine. What am I missing?

Can't the league cater to "20+ yr fans" and "average" people? (whatever "average people" means)
“Average people” meaning people that have little to no knowledge of the game.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
within the next 30 years, I could see the NHL reach an agreement with some of the Euro leagues to create a European division of an equal number of teams which will create a giant world league. You'll have a European Conference and a North American Conference which will eventually face off for the Stanley Cup at the end of the playoff. It'll be the first true global league in all of sports.

Along with that, the National Hockey League will become the World Hockey Association.

:jets

Reactions: Svechhammer

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Unfortunately they are heading to NBA territory: most franchises are irrelevant, and the storied teams are down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad