What will the nhl look like in 30 years?

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
- The league merges with the AHL and has 64 total teams between them. They now run a promotion/relegation system.

- Face cages are mandatory.

- Holographic technology is now being used for reviews. People complain about goals being disallowed due to the play being a nanometre offside.

- Goalie gear is virtually non-existent. Fans still complain about them.

I feel like this is the first point in this whole miserable thread that actually merits discussion. Why not?

All in all, the game will probably be more or less the same. Much like it was more or less the same 30 years ago.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Set positions, aside from goaltender, will be a quaint thing of the past. Guys will understand their role based on how all the other pieces on the ice are coming together.

Reactions: traparatus

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
MMA was created for the Americans due to their average people (not referring to most hockey fans) thirst for violence.
’average people” are the ones that the new nhl is trying to cater to. Not fans that have been watching the game 20+ years.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hover skates. Arenas on Mars and in the depths of the ocean. Jet packs. Robot refs. Robot beer and snack delivery.

Also other things hovering and glass domes on stuff.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Set positions, aside from goaltender, will be a quaint thing of the past. Guys will understand their role based on how all the other pieces on the ice are coming together.

I've heard this idea/notion discussed a few times over the last few years. Friedman was talking about it a little while back. I can see it happen. Skill is skill and creativity is creativity. What kind of a defenseman would Connor McDavid make? I'd like to find out.

Forwards fill in for dmen all the time and play the point on PP. Defensmen rotate down to the slot/goal line. Eventually, a team will embrace an all out position-free roster idea and demolish the competition.

You got my vote. Hockey 30 years from now will be position-free.

Reactions: amethyst and Oneiro

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Average Americans, not average (people) hockey fans.
I don’t know what you’re saying here? Ok, “average americans” then. Without ‘average americans’ In the seats, this league will be broke within 10 years. And the current product is losing more and more fans by the year.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I don't really agree. I think some of the fans who are motivated more by the hits and fights might bail, but then there's a whole other section of fans who may prefer the greater focus on skill than aggression. I don't think 'emotion' really factors in, at a high level players are very competitive and emotion. I think alot of people confuse hits and fights (ie anger) with being the only emotion, but it can also include passion and drive and many other things.

Ya I mean it's not like the audience still gets incredibly loud when there is a fight happening or anything.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
40 teams
hitting and fighting still prevalent
no ads on jerseys whatsoever
legalized in-arena betting
some female referees and coaching staff
$150 beers

Reactions: Cellee

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I've heard this idea/notion discussed a few times over the last few years. Friedman was talking about it a little while back. I can see it happen. Skill is skill and creativity is creativity. What kind of a defenseman would Connor McDavid make? I'd like to find out.

Forwards fill in for dmen all the time and play the point on PP. Defensmen rotate down to the slot/goal line. Eventually, a team will embrace an all out position-free roster idea and demolish the competition.

You got my vote. Hockey 30 years from now will be position-free.

Agreed. Sometime I watch hockey and I wonder why are so many people standing around, dumping pucks at the wall, not getting a shot for half a period, etc. It seems to me like hockey should go back to what the Russians were doing in the 70s and 80s, a 5-man unit that can skate, pass and shoot and controls the puck well. Everyone in motion. That is what this game is meant to be.

I do believe we will see the end of the traditional 4th line and ''grinders'' so to speak with a huge emphasis placed on players who can skate and pass. As you said there will be no more fixed position. There will be a lot of offense and the games will be a ton more exciting. We will see skilled players flying up and down the ice non-stop like in 3-on-3 overtime.

Of course, some naysayers will say that coaches of bad teams will just resort to playing the trap. But we are already moving into an offensive era and with owners' thirst for money, everyone will jump in the bandwagon and have an all-out offensive team. The games will sell out, the fans will be happy. Carolina's owner said something of that effect this week.

Moreover, taking all the skilled players means less scorers available for the KHL (especially with expanding to 32 teams now) and thus less competition for NHL

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
The only certain thing: the HF will be discussing whether Sergei Ovechkin has a shot to finally beat Gretzky's record.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Ya I mean it's not like the audience still gets incredibly loud when there is a fight happening or anything.
Is that sarcasm? Serious question.. the crowd definitely responds, but not like a sustained rally and scoring chances or goal. Ive noticed crowds are less ‘into’ the fights than 20 yrs ago.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Is that sarcasm? Serious question.. the crowd definitely responds, but not like a sustained rally and scoring chances or goal. Ive noticed crowds are less ‘into’ the fights than 20 yrs ago.

Lol false.

They are just as into, if not even more so since it's so rare nowadays.

Reactions: KapG and Steven

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

No its louder actually.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I doubt you'd ever see expansion beyond continental US & Canada. Can't expect Euro teams to play over half their games in 5-9 hour time differences, same goes for the US/Canadian teams.

Do think they'll have wider ice surfaces though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad