What will the nhl look like in 30 years?

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Why? Because they're among the most entertaining parts of the game? For whom are you speaking for? The spectator, the player, the lawyer? I don't think as a fan watching the game there is a single reason why I would ban fights. Fights and brawls get the crowd going. You see people yawning and going for food when there's a brawl? Goalie fight?

Nowadays when the game is 5-2 in the third, fans start leaving the arena. They didn't in the past because there was always the chance of something exciting happening. In fact, if the game got to 7-2 or something, then the action would REALLY start. How is that worse for a fan? Getting more bang for your buck is bad?
I care about the people that create the product that I see as my religion

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Well hopefully they figure out goal line technology. Also for offsides. Should be easy enough with miniaturization of computational power and improved laser accuracy.

Completely objective, emotionless, robot referees that wear jet packs so as not to interfere with the play.

John Tortorella will be 90 years old and wheelchair bound but still wheeling himself over to the other teams dressing room to fight them.

What else. I imagine they'll figure out how to make sticks that don't break. Possibly the Coyotes will nail a wildcard spot.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
What? phones?

The way people attend events will change due technological innovations that affect fan behavior. Main idea is that fans are part of the event instead of passive watchers. Unfortunately I can't predict what exactly those innovations are, otherwise I'd be making billions instead posting here :).

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I care about the people that create the product that I see as my religion
It's entertainment. You pay them. You pay them REAL well. Probably way too much. Do boxing or MMA fans want their favourites to stop punching each other? Those MMA guys don't even get paid that well. Which is a shame.

But I digress - hockey is hockey. Why change the game? It's perfect. Well, it WAS perfect. And unique. There are options for fans of team sports without fights. Women's hockey is great if you want that. Field hockey, too. But if you want that violent edge to your otherwise finesse sport, there really isn't much else is there? Hockey used to be the game of games.

To me it seems like there are all these non-hockey fans coming in to change the game of hockey, so they can like it. When there are all these other great options for said fans already.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Fighting needs to be removed, concussions are a serious issue and if you don’t have any empathy for the people that create the product that you consume practically religiously that says way more about you than the game of hockey

Women’s olympics hockey is one of the best versions of hockey you will ever come across and there’s no hitting

It’s a sport there will literally always be emotion, you can’t have sports with out it, volleyball players trash talk more than any other sport and you cant even make contact, hockey will always be a contact sport even when hitting is removed

Are they getting rid of boards and goalies too?
Women's olympic hockey is one of the best versions of hockey! Now I've heard everything. Jesus Christ.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Women's olympic hockey is one of the best versions of hockey! Now I've heard everything. Jesus Christ.
The “new” NHL will closely resemble it. Soon. With the exception of USA vs Canada, women’s hockey is absolutely terrible. And if USA vs Canada is as good as it gets? It’s still terrible.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
It's entertainment. You pay them. You pay them REAL well. Probably way too much. Do boxing or MMA fans want their favourites to stop punching each other? Those MMA guys don't even get paid that well. Which is a shame.

But I digress - hockey is hockey. Why change the game? It's perfect. Well, it WAS perfect. And unique. There are options for fans of team sports without fights. Women's hockey is great if you want that. Field hockey, too. But if you want that violent edge to your otherwise finesse sport, there really isn't much else is there? Hockey used to be the game of games.

To me it seems like there are all these non-hockey fans coming in to change the game of hockey, so they can like it. When there are all these other great options for said fans already.
Who are you to gate keep being a hockey fan when you’d give up on the sport if it got “less violent”

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Uh, I wasn’t talking about playing the game. Watching. Or going to games.
Teens and young adults are the biggest fans that hockey has, the nhl needs to appeal to the under 30 crowd way more than some adult that goes to a game or 2 a season and hasn’t bought a New Jersey in 10+ years

And that includes making the game less dangerous in the eyes of parents with young children that are just starting to play sports

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Teens and young adults are the biggest fans that hockey has, the nhl needs to appeal to the under 30 crowd way more than some adult that goes to a game or 2 a season and hasn’t bought a New Jersey in 10+ years

And that includes making the game less dangerous in the eyes of parents with young children that are just starting to play sports
The first part of your post, I agree with somewhat. The nhl needs to appeal to the under 30 crowd. In Canada, pajjjarvii klorgstvversonn from Norway that skates really fast and scores a lot of goals while not being touched (because you really can’t play defense anymore) MIGHT sell tickets. Here in the US, there’s no connection to him. That’s just how it is. That’s why people leave when it’s 5-2 in the 3rd. There was a post from a kings STH in another thread that said “I’ll go to the game, my team sucks, nothing exciting will happen, we will lose, and I’ll drive home wondering why I waste my time on a work night.” For some reason, that isn’t resonating.

My work has club seats, 8th row center for Iowa wild games. The owner has no idea about hockey and me and one other guy there have actually used the tickets. If I wanted to, I could go to every home game.. I haven’t been since 2014. The buccaneers games here are 10x more exciting.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018

Who are the biggest fans of UFC/MMA?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
MMA was created for the Americans due to their average people (not referring to most hockey fans) thirst for violence,
it will never gain world wide popularity.
- for contact sports, boxing will always be the most world wide followed contact sport, it is the first sport of all sports after all,
then comes Asian contact sports, then Olympic contact sports, then way back after everyone; MMA

WWE/WWF was created for the same reason,then later it tried, tried and tried to breed outside America, even thou
some popularity for short period of time was found, it died quickly, it is slowly dying in America now
and possibly buried sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad