What will the nhl look like in 30 years?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If the league had 30 teams there would be far too much parity between players which leads to a more defensive game, who’s more likely to be undressed by an average top 6 player? A scrub or another another average top 6 player?
You’re telling me the best on best international tournaments are boring because they become too defensive oriented based on the massive amount of quality on each team?

I feel it’s exact the other way around.

If this league had 1/2 of the teams it currently has (which I’m not advocating for, thsts farctoo much but as an example) every player who touched the puck in any game would be a very skilled and talented player.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Hopefully no more hitting or a lot less hitting, and fighting is gone.
Also hopefully grit and character are seen as the flaws they are and no longer figure into drafting or roster assembly.
Less Canadians, more Europeans and many more Russians.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Hopefully no more hitting or a lot less hitting, and fighting is gone.
Also hopefully grit and character are seen as the flaws they are and no longer figure into drafting or roster assembly.
Less Canadians, more Europeans and many more Russians.

Unfortunately, you’ll get your wish. We’re almost there now.

Reactions: Steven

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You’re telling me the best on best international tournaments are boring because they become too defensive oriented based on the massive amount of quality on each team?

If this league had 1/2 of the teams it currently has (which I’m not advocating for, thsts farctoo much but as an example) every player who touched the puck in any game would be a very skilled and talented player.

Leagues with more parity are generally lower scoring, because good players constantly facing other good players cancel each other out. These past two seasons scoring has gone way up, but the league has called more powerplays, reduced goalie equipment and added another NHL team.

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018

Every player in the ahl khl sel is a very skilled player, they are professionals at playing a sport it’s not like some beer leaguer is going to be the first player called up in expansion it’s going to be the best players in those other leagues

I want a league where more often an average first line is going to get the puck in the net when the other team has an icing with their 4th line or 3rd pair dmen

The best players in the league should be bordering on 130 or 140 points a season

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Leagues with more parity are generally lower scoring, because good players constantly facing other good players cancel each other out. These past two seasons scoring has gone way up, but the league has called more powerplays, reduced goalie equipment and added another NHL team.
Parity between players in bad, parity between teams is good

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Well fine. But then how far does it go? If we had enough teams that ankle burners were now in the league, games would be 10-9 every night.

It’s a balance between loose/shoddy defensive play and a lack of overall quality league wide.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Every player in the ahl khl sel is a very skilled player, they are professionals at playing a sport it’s not like some beer leaguer is going to be the first player called up in expansion it’s going to be the best players in those other leagues

I want a league where more often an average first line is going to get the puck in the net when the other team has an icing with their 4th line or 3rd pair dmen

The best players in the league should be bordering on 130 or 140 points a season

The NHL is more exciting these past few seasons than before that's for sure. I don't think that poster realizes there actually wouldn't be more scoring chances, there are more scoring chances and hence more goals with less parity. I think the NHL is good the way it is though, I wouldn't want to see it swing too far in either direction. Those olympic games were actually not that exciting to watch, the world juniors are better.

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Well fine. But then how far does it go? If we had enough teams that ankle burners were now in the league, games would be 10-9 every night.

It’s a balance between loose/shoddy defensive play and a lack of overall quality league wide.
The balance the could bring that average up to 8 or 9 goals per game

I think that little by little you’ll see that happen with each team added then it will be great for 10 or so years then with the league growing it grows interest in the sport more people play and then a few years later there will be talk about expansion, that process starts and then it happens again

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
within the next 30 years, I could see the NHL reach an agreement with some of the Euro leagues to create a European division of an equal number of teams which will create a giant world league. You'll have a European Conference and a North American Conference which will eventually face off for the Stanley Cup at the end of the playoff. It'll be the first true global league in all of sports.
That would be awesome. The only problem i see is that teams may have players from europe requesting to be traded to their home country & when its denied they intentionally start sucking to force a trade.
Kinda like how Justin Schultz sucked so bad & then after being traded to Pittsburgh he suddenly looked like an NHL player again.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Sure, but when has that ever been the case? The NHL has always had more teams than enough talent to fill all teams equally. 92-93, what many consider to be one of the greatest overall seasons ever, had 2 of the worst teams ever, giving up a combined 809 goals.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The balance the could bring that average up to 8 or 9 goals per game

I think that little by little you’ll see that happen with each team added then it will be great for 10 or so years then with the league growing it grows interest in the sport more people play and then a few years later there will be talk about expansion, that process starts and then it happens again
To a new fan fine. To a lifelong fan, goals without quality play is uselsss.

I’ve said many times, in actually it’s not goals, but scoring chances that create excitement. The goal actually kills the play whereas a save keeps the excitement going. To only watch highlight packages, goals alone probably wins.

One a new fan becomes a lifelong fan, it also will be substance rather than gimmicks or offensive score lines because half the league can’t skate that keeps them drawn in.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Sure, but when has that ever been the case? The NHL has always had more teams than enough talent to fill all teams equally. 92-93, what many consider to be one of the greatest overall seasons ever, had 2 of the worst teams ever, giving up a combined 809 goals.
There was plenty of hitting in 1993. Plenty. There was also what? 24 teams.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
If the game keeps advancing at this rate toward no fights, hits, emotion and pure systemized pond hockey... fans will bail. No question.

Fighting needs to be removed, concussions are a serious issue and if you don’t have any empathy for the people that create the product that you consume practically religiously that says way more about you than the game of hockey

Women’s olympics hockey is one of the best versions of hockey you will ever come across and there’s no hitting

It’s a sport there will literally always be emotion, you can’t have sports with out it, volleyball players trash talk more than any other sport and you cant even make contact, hockey will always be a contact sport even when hitting is removed

Are they getting rid of boards and goalies too?

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad