News Article: What Will the Bruins Defence Look Like if Chara Leaves?

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I thought this deserved it's own thread because there is a decent article about the options with Chara, and Chara has been a significant part of the lives of Bruins fans. If the moderators disagree, they can move it.

Here is the Chara article:

What Will Bruins Defense Look Like If Zdeno Chara Stays, Goes This Offseason? - NESN.com

I prefer the Bruins to keep Chara for one more year. Chara, as stated, stays in shape. Chara would retire before he was pushed out; he knows what he can and can't do on the ice. Due to surgeries and to date a weak offseason by the Bruins, I expect a tough season. Chara intimates the other team, he can log a lot of minutes, and he can still defend the goal.
Your thoughts!

Reactions: Gordoff

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Lots of good info also in the other Chara thread if you are looking for more.

Player Discussion - Zdeno Chara IV

He's probably going to be the best value signing which is what we need with our cap situation.

Thank you, for pointing out there was another Chara thread. I am sorry I didn't see that Thread. Moderators please move to the thread mentioned in this post, thanks.

I agree with you regarding his signing.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Thank you, for pointing out there was another Chara thread. I am sorry I didn't see that Thread. Moderators please move to the thread mentioned in this post, thanks.

I agree with you regarding his signing.

Yea if he signs for 1 mil or less I don't see any other player out there that we can acquire that will be better or as good as him for that price.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Meh. We have another Cup if he doesn't demand the C upon signing and Bergeron was captain this entire time.

This is our last chance to let it be Bergeron's team while hes still a top player.

Too many playoff collapses to weaker teams over the years last couple Tampa series are the first ones I thought we shouldn't have won. He doesn't fit into the blueline McAvoy needs a mobile partner to try and turn into a Norris candidate. Carlo can't have a guy who can't skate well or handle the puck with him. He won't be played on the third pairing and I'm not sure any of our right shot D are the right fits I guess him and Kampfer would be OK Clifton not so much.

Its time. This years offseason makeover is moving on from him and Krug adding mobility replacing Z and defense replacing Krug. Not that complicated.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Just doesn't do it 5 on 5 for me anymore. Our other Dmans focus shouldn't have to be retrieving the puck for him because he's too slow and unable to make crisp passes.

That being said, I won't be mad if hes signed as a bottom pairing/pk guy, just please don't saddle McAvoy with him anymore.

Reactions: DBL84 and hrdpuk

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
The problem with Chara is you have to pair him with an elite level 1D to compensate for his horrendous mobility that you end up with a really strange pairing where he is playing too much and his partner is not playing enough.

you can’t play him on the bottom pair because the duo would be exposed like a couple of beer leaguers. It’s a tough situation

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Chara signing elsewhere for small money would be incredibly regretful.

Yea I mean at this point he's the ideal bottom pairing Dman to pair with a younger/quicker guy thats trying to break into the league.

I think he could still effectively eat minutes on the PK as well.

The danger is him finding himself back on the top pair.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
I thought this deserved it's own thread because there is a decent article about the options with Chara, and Chara has been a significant part of the lives of Bruins fans. If the moderators disagree, they can move it.

Here is the Chara article:

What Will Bruins Defense Look Like If Zdeno Chara Stays, Goes This Offseason? - NESN.com

I prefer the Bruins to keep Chara for one more year. Chara, as stated, stays in shape. Chara would retire before he was pushed out; he knows what he can and can't do on the ice. Due to surgeries and to date a weak offseason by the Bruins, I expect a tough season. Chara intimates the other team, he can log a lot of minutes, and he can still defend the goal.
Your thoughts!
My issue is the bolded above. Are we sure that’s 100% true (that’s he’s self aware enough to recognize his strengths and weaknesses and position within a context of a teams succcess). I actually get the feeling sometimes he thinks it’s still 2007

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Better a year too early than a year too late. Poster boy for being immobile for the last couple of years. They need to see what a full years with Zboril, Lauzon, maybe Vaak will give them prior to the expansion draft. The team is at a crossroads. Keeping Bird, McHale, and Parrish too long killed the Celtics for over a decade(maybe 2 or 3:cool:).

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I had a thought last night... and I’m not sure if this is inspiration or desperation, but what about about Nick Wolff as a top4 candidate?

I know it’s a big jump to go from college to an NHL top4, but we see it every year with multiple players, and not just offensive guys, John Marino went from 3 years at Harvard to 20+ minutes a night for Pittsburgh.

Nick Wolff is a two-time National champion, and the captain of Minn-Duluth. He’s got 4 years of college experience and at 6’5, 230 is fully developed physically. He dominated development camp last year, and he’s legitimately nasty too. He’s currently playing (on loan) in the Czech Elite League right now so he’s going to come to camp in mid-season form.

A lot of us wanted to see the Bruins add someone like Zadorov to replace Big Z but they may have a Zadorov type already, in Wolff.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
FYI: I'm looking at more analytics lately and came across something interesting: 5 of the 6 most effective D pairs for the Bruins (in terms of Expected Goal Pct) involved Matt Grzelcyk.

Grzelcyk -McAvoy
Grzelcyk -Lauzon
Grzelcyk -Moore (small sample)
Krug - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo

Defense-only, it was much the same. In terms of Expected Goals Against per 60, our most effective pairs were...

Grzelcyk - Lauzon (small sample)
Grzelcyk -Moore (small sample)
Grzelcyk -Carlo
Krug - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Clifton
Chara - Carlo
Krug - Carlo
Chara - McAvoy

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What would the defense look like without chara? Uh, a shitload faster. I'd also think they'd be better at clearing the puck from their own zone. The pk would probably be a little weaker, but maybe not given the rest of the defensemen should be able to win a footrace to a loose puck, unlike chara at this point of his career, limiting the sustained pressure in their own end.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think there's big picture value in signing a guy like Chara to what in a microanalysis would call a "bad value" contract.

He's the captain, he's done so much for this team and city the last 14 years, it's not just that the team owes it to him, but doing good by someone like that shows the rest of the league that they take care of their people over there, which improves reputation in attracting potential FAs and in being able to re-sign our own guys. Plus the effect he has in the room. Even if his best days are past, you can't just let him go sign with Montreal or the Islanders or someone over pennies.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Wolff - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Lauzon - Clifton
Zboril - Miller

Maybe make that spot next to Mac a competition between Wolff and Lauzon...
So Wolff is going to go from a Czech league loaner to 1st pairing in the NHL. Based on what? How would that be remotely possible?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Chara got $3.75 mill last year (2 mill cap hit and a 1.75 mill bonus), so people thinking he's going to sign for a mill are clearly smoking something funky. He's not. Even here. And another team will offer more if that's what Boston is expecting. While I personally think it's time to move on from him, if they want him back, it's going to be a lot more than what some people here are suggesting.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I had a thought last night... and I’m not sure if this is inspiration or desperation, but what about about Nick Wolff as a top4 candidate?

I know it’s a big jump to go from college to an NHL top4, but we see it every year with multiple players, and not just offensive guys, John Marino went from 3 years at Harvard to 20+ minutes a night for Pittsburgh.

Nick Wolff is a two-time National champion, and the captain of Minn-Duluth. He’s got 4 years of college experience and at 6’5, 230 is fully developed physically. He dominated development camp last year, and he’s legitimately nasty too. He’s currently playing (on loan) in the Czech Elite League right now so he’s going to come to camp in mid-season form.

A lot of us wanted to see the Bruins add someone like Zadorov to replace Big Z but they may have a Zadorov type already, in Wolff.
Wolff checks off a ton of boxes, big, nasty, young, great contract but are you really a contender if you are putting a college UFA in your top six? If they were rebuilding I would have him in the top six but Sweeney is stuck in purgatory. Not ready to trade older players for a complete rebuild and not smart or brave enough to make trades and free agent signings.

Also I do not want Wolff's development hurt only playing 8-10 minutes a night under Cassidy, let him develop for a year and come in ready to compete for a job next year.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad