News Article: What Will the Bruins Defence Look Like if Chara Leaves?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
It may not be about money but the fact that his best days are done and Chara himself does not realize it. No way he comes back to play 3rd pairing, limited minutes and sit on the bench game after game. He still thinks he is the guy. They already limited his time in the playoffs to 5th most, only ahead of Cliffy.

This season will be short and games will be closer together on the schedule. Sad when some pros just do not know when to call it quits. They need Mac to take the next step and for the kids to move up to the show and see if they have it or not. If they do not then move on to another plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Looking forward to seeing how he does in camp.

Agreed. I remember some writers that tend to be right about these things saying that his ceiling would likely be number 6 defenseman. I am good with that, especially because at the least he is going to be a very willing physical player.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Grz
Lauzon
Zboril

somebody can make a good argument that this, on paper, could be the worse LD in the NHL.
Or it could surprise everybody! If DS is done and this is the team then that D makes no difference. The 2nd line is still a player and a half away from being a legit 2nd line and no real PP Qback! We looked average at best in the playoffs and we got worse and most teams in our conference got better so do the math. As they say, it's gonna get ugly before it gets better.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Substantially worse.

You don't just replace 3:10 of PK time per game.

Or +26 on 14 points

Or 39 ES goals against in 18 ES min/gm...while taking 65% d zone starts.

You have 1 defensive D left and it quickly becomes a sieve out there

But you do just replace those things. You have to and it happens every year in the NHL when players retire, get injured, or get traded. What if Chara had come straight out and said he was retiring? Guess what, you have to replace those things. Even if he comes back he is not long for the league whatever happens. And then you have to replace those things. It is just a fact of life in any human endeavor that involves teams. If they have to do it in a year, they may as well do it now because it's coming in the short-term whatever happens with this season specifically.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
What will it look like without Chara?

912B18OD%2BcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Going to be a steep learning curve for the kids who many of which may be thrust into far bigger roles than they have been in before. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I think Boston is going to finally be forced to outscore their defensive problems.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What will it look like without Chara?

912B18OD%2BcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Going to be a steep learning curve for the kids who many of which may be thrust into far bigger roles than they have been in before. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I think Boston is going to finally be forced to outscore their defensive problems.

Man, that is a really bleak view of things. It won't be that bad if he doesn't come back. It is going to happen, if not this year, then next. How is the learning curve going to be any less steep if the guys that are expected to step in don't get any NHL playing time or end up with another year in Providence and then get shoved in there the following season?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The more I think about it, the more it feels like they are going to re-sign Chara.

Sweeney didn’t sign Craig Smith so we could “go with the kids” this year. He signed him to improve the team.

I think the numbers and ice time show they’ve changed how they view Chara and what he’s capable of, but even a diminished Chara is going to be the best value they can get for $1m.

They used him as the 5th D in the playoffs, and he’s been a phenomenal mentor for young players over the years... so maybe more of a McQuaid-type role next year: 3rd pair, PK, enforcer. You can still try Lauzon and others in the top4, while having a Chara as the safety net if they fail.

Lauzon - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Chara - Clifton/Zboril

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The reality is that they don’t have the cap space to improve the defense without taking away from the offense.

Do you deal DeBrusk for a D making $4m? Then who is the 2nd line LW?

If you deal Krejci for a big fish on defense (someone making $7m), then Coyle moves to 2c and Studnicka slots in at 3C, but is that kind of trade even possible at this point?

The other issue is that if the new D is signed for more than 1 season you risk losing him or Gryz/Carlo to expansion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Undersized and soft. They'll get bounced around even worse than they normally do.

Not really liking it to be honest.

You lose 6'9'' 255 lbs.

Right now as it sits:

6'5'', 210 who plays like he's 5'7'' 135 lbs (Carlo)
6'0'' 208 (McAvoy)
5'9'' 174 (Grzelcyk)
5'11'' 175 (Clifton)
6'0'' 204 (Lauzon)

You're definitely not getting punished going into the corner with these guys on the back end. Not only is it even smaller and softer, it's a flat out worse defense than last year. Seems like many people in here are content with it, though.

Last edited:

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Undersized and soft. They'll get bounced around even worse than they normally do.

You lose 6'9'' 255 lbs.

Right now as it sits:

6'0'' 208 (McAvoy)
5'9'' 174 (Grzelcyk)
5'11'' 175 (Clifton)
6'0'' 204 (Lauzon)

You're definitely not getting punished going into the corner with these guys on the back end. Not only is it even smaller and softer, it's a flat out worse defense than last year. Seems like many people in here are content with it, though.

Understand your point, but seen both and no way McAvoy and Lauzon are the same height.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

You lose 6'9'' 255 lbs.

Right now as it sits:

6'0'' 208 (McAvoy)
5'9'' 174 (Grzelcyk)
5'11'' 175 (Clifton)
6'0'' 204 (Lauzon)

You cannot hit what you cannot catch! Chara had 78 hits last year, which is around one a game, that can easily be replaced.
Three years ago Chara had 140 hits when he was a 1/2 step faster, huge decline.
We have to make up around 40 mins a night with ice time that Krug and Chara logged.
I can see McAvoy/Carlo and Grizz's ice time increased to compensate.
Lauzon and Cliffy have to play more and JZ or whomever plays 6th dee has to play 15 mins a night.
Should be interesting.
I for one will be excited to see JZ play and the other kids get more ice time.
On a positive note, including Moore as the 6th dee our average age on dee is 24.7.

Reactions: duffy and Dr Hook

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
The more I think about it, the more it feels like they are going to re-sign Chara.

Sweeney didn’t sign Craig Smith so we could “go with the kids” this year. He signed him to improve the team.

I think the numbers and ice time show they’ve changed how they view Chara and what he’s capable of, but even a diminished Chara is going to be the best value they can get for $1m.

They used him as the 5th D in the playoffs, and he’s been a phenomenal mentor for young players over the years... so maybe more of a McQuaid-type role next year: 3rd pair, PK, enforcer. You can still try Lauzon and others in the top4, while having a Chara as the safety net if they fail.

Lauzon - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Chara - Clifton/Zboril

I think you're right on all counts Bill.

Chara makes too much sense to let go now.

I'm excited to see Smith in the top 9. He could be the piece they have missed on RW for a while.

Hardly anyone has suggested Lauzon as the LD for McAvoy but he could be a very nice complement. I'm more comfortable with Lauzon in that role than Grzelcyk (he's better on the 2nd pair).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

You lose 6'9'' 255 lbs.

Right now as it sits:

6'0'' 208 (McAvoy)
5'9'' 174 (Grzelcyk)
5'11'' 175 (Clifton)
6'0'' 204 (Lauzon)

Lauzon is listed 6'1 but he's definitely 6'2 now or maybe even closer to 6'3. And heavier, my guess he's a least 210.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I thought this deserved it's own thread because there is a decent article about the options with Chara, and Chara has been a significant part of the lives of Bruins fans. If the moderators disagree, they can move it.

Here is the Chara article:

What Will Bruins Defense Look Like If Zdeno Chara Stays, Goes This Offseason? - NESN.com

I prefer the Bruins to keep Chara for one more year. Chara, as stated, stays in shape. Chara would retire before he was pushed out; he knows what he can and can't do on the ice. Due to surgeries and to date a weak offseason by the Bruins, I expect a tough season. Chara intimates the other team, he can log a lot of minutes, and he can still defend the goal.
Your thoughts!
smaller and softer

Reactions: Maine Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->