News Article: What Will the Bruins Defence Look Like if Chara Leaves?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wolff checks off a ton of boxes, big, nasty, young, great contract but are you really a contender if you are putting a college UFA in your top six? If they were rebuilding I would have him in the top six but Sweeney is stuck in purgatory. Not ready to trade older players for a complete rebuild and not smart or brave enough to make trades and free agent signings.

Also I do not want Wolff's development hurt only playing 8-10 minutes as night under Cassidy, let him develop for a year and come in ready to compete for a job next year.

Only being a one line team makes them a pretender anyways, but worse offensively than last year because they let their top point producer on D walk without even trying to retain him.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
So Wolff is going to go from a Czech league loaner to 1st pairing in the NHL. Based on what? How would that be remotely possible?

Based on him being one of the best D in college hockey, a 2 time national champion and a team captain. If John Marino can go from Harvard to Pittsburgh's top pair, why can't Wolff?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Imo, it's time to let Chara go... ideally he would retire a Bruins. But if he thinks he can still help a team... let him find out the hard way.

It's up to Sweeney to bring in help.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Wolff checks off a ton of boxes, big, nasty, young, great contract but are you really a contender if you are putting a college UFA in your top six? If they were rebuilding I would have him in the top six but Sweeney is stuck in purgatory. Not ready to trade older players for a complete rebuild and not smart or brave enough to make trades and free agent signings.

Also I do not want Wolff's development hurt only playing 8-10 minutes a night under Cassidy, let him develop for a year and come in ready to compete for a job next year.

I'm not sure they're a contender regardless which in-house D they pick to replace Chara. Any combination of Gryz, Lauzon, Wolff, Zboril, Moore is not a contending left side, unless one of them takes a big step up or surprises in camp, like Carlo did.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Only being a one line team makes them a pretender anyways, but worse offensively than last year because they let their top point producer on D walk without even trying to retain him.
I predict Mac will be better. I think they will organise pp differently. Will miss Krug but can’t blame the Bruins on this one imo. With the money... fill in the rw top 6 spot and get bigger.

Reactions: LSCII

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I had a thought last night... and I’m not sure if this is inspiration or desperation, but what about about Nick Wolff as a top4 candidate?

I know it’s a big jump to go from college to an NHL top4, but we see it every year with multiple players, and not just offensive guys, John Marino went from 3 years at Harvard to 20+ minutes a night for Pittsburgh.

Nick Wolff is a two-time National champion, and the captain of Minn-Duluth. He’s got 4 years of college experience and at 6’5, 230 is fully developed physically. He dominated development camp last year, and he’s legitimately nasty too. He’s currently playing (on loan) in the Czech Elite League right now so he’s going to come to camp in mid-season form.

A lot of us wanted to see the Bruins add someone like Zadorov to replace Big Z but they may have a Zadorov type already, in Wolff.

I know a lot of people here were excited about Wolff after development camp last year, but I can't help but feel like we're way overrating him at this point. He seems like a borderline NHL prospect, at best. The best case scenario seems like Adam McQuaid, a 6/7th defenseman with toughness.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I predict Mac will be better. I think they will organise pp differently. Will miss Krug but can’t blame the Bruins on this one imo. With the money... fill in the rw top 6 spot and get bigger.

I like the optimism, but I think their ufa spending is complete. What you see now, is what you're going to get, if I had to guess.

Reactions: chizzler

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Business...can’t say personnally i would spend money without knowing with this bs thing but as a fan it stinks

I understand why, but it's still insulting to me as a fan to see one of the wealthiest owners, a team with a top 5 valuation for the entire league, and an aging core not actively try to improve when there are bargains to be had. Hoffman has said he'd gladly do a one year deal because of the uncertainty and you don't bring him in for short money, after you let Krug walk? Complete no-brianer to me. You do that deal in a heartbeat because it's only $4 mill or so, and it makes you a legit contender again.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I know a lot of people here were excited about Wolff after development camp last year, but I can't help but feel like we're way overrating him at this point. He seems like a borderline NHL prospect, at best. The best case scenario seems like Adam McQuaid, a 6/7th defenseman with toughness.

If he throws 'em like McQuaid then sign him now.

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Fwiw, I was one of those people speaking highly of him after development camp.

You may be right about his upside. Like I said, I'm not sure if this idea is inspired by his play from camp or more of a desperate hope that they find a Carlo-like diamond in the rough. Definitely fair to doubt.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Yes but they are not doing that, they are doing nothing

Reactions: Gordoff

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
My issue is the bolded above. Are we sure that’s 100% true (that’s he’s self aware enough to recognize his strengths and weaknesses and position within a context of a teams succcess). I actually get the feeling sometimes he thinks it’s still 2007

WOW, that's a surprise.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Don't think the addition or subtraction of Chara is big at this point. But penciling Wolff on the top pair. Laughable.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure they're a contender regardless which in-house D they pick to replace Chara. Any combination of Gryz, Lauzon, Wolff, Zboril, Moore is not a contending left side, unless one of them takes a big step up or surprises in camp, like Carlo did.

I think that's actually what they are counting on. It's a big gamble.

Reactions: Maine Fan

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
He’s currently playing (on loan) in the Czech Elite League right now so he’s going to come to camp in mid-season form.

A lot of us wanted to see the Bruins add someone like Zadorov to replace Big Z but they may have a Zadorov type already, in Wolff.

Wolff is loaned to Jegesmedvek, the only Hungarian team playing in the Slovak Extraliga. The quality of that league is nowhere near the Czech Elite League. The Hungarian team played only 4 games so far and due to a current situation with a massive increase of positive cases over there doubt it will get better anytime soon. Hard to get in the mid-season form if he plays once a week.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Wolff is loaned to Jegesmedvek, the only Hungarian team playing in the Slovak Extraliga. The quality of that league is nowhere near the Czech Elite League. The Hungarian team played only 4 games so far and due to a current situation with a massive increase of positive cases over there doubt it will get better anytime soon. Hard to get in the mid-season form if he plays once a week.
If he can't play every game maybe he can contribute by making a Pest of himself.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I had a thought last night... and I’m not sure if this is inspiration or desperation, but what about about Nick Wolff as a top4 candidate?

I know it’s a big jump to go from college to an NHL top4, but we see it every year with multiple players, and not just offensive guys, John Marino went from 3 years at Harvard to 20+ minutes a night for Pittsburgh.

Nick Wolff is a two-time National champion, and the captain of Minn-Duluth. He’s got 4 years of college experience and at 6’5, 230 is fully developed physically. He dominated development camp last year, and he’s legitimately nasty too. He’s currently playing (on loan) in the Czech Elite League right now so he’s going to come to camp in mid-season form.

Looking forward to seeing how he does in camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->