What will it take for the league to look at Boston's PP #'s

Faax

Mar 12, 2013
I don't see the problem here. Ar ethey supposed to get pity PP's or something?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
:cry:

It's a conspiracy... :amazed:

Funny, it's only people trying to troll bruins fans that are calling it a conspiracy- don't think you read the post you quoted.

As for the other ideas posted
Boston is not the slowest team in the league for the last three years and I don't by that speed alone draws calls. A more plodding possession style game certainly creates opportunities for calls to be made.
Boston goes on the PK more than many teams, so I don't think it adds up that their games just see fewer penalties on both sides.
I do think that reffs let some things go against guys like chara and lucic, because of their size and physical reputation- it's assumed that a hook that would take down a 5'8" player shouldn't take down a 6"9" player, so what would be a call against some guys just isn't against chara.
But that isn't enough IMO to explain the #s over the last 2-3years.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
but we dive and embellish all the time so how come we at the bottom? :(

The post you quoted is a great illustration. MTL is at #27 in the league 3 pp fewer than three teams tied for 24th, and one pp more than the team at #29. Those 5 teams are separated by 5 power plays on the year. And then there is boston 14 pp opportunities behind the team at #29.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

Maybe if the Bruins stop trying to make the refs look bad! :sarcasm:

I don't buy the refs having biased against the Bruins. That would literally mean that pretty much every ref is biased and hates the Bruins. The league would definitely not tolerate that. I think the problem is a combination of speed and system. The Bruins like to dump and chase and cycle along the boards, that's not a situation were people need to hook you or do something that requires penalizing. The Bruins not being one of the speedier teams makes it even harder for them to draw penalties.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...13+14+29+30+32+33+34+63+67+41+42+43+44+45+46#

The top 5 guys in penalties drawn this year belong to:
1. Carcillo (CHI) 2. Morin (CHI) 3. Kadri (TOR) 4. Scott (SJ) 5. Klinkhammer (PIT)

Those are teams that emphasize puck possession and speed. Less on dump and chase.

There isn't a real hate on the Bruins as they aren't getting penalized which is what would actually hurt them. It's illogical for the refs to do this in such a roundabout way.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The problem: Bruins have too many grinders and not enough skill guys. If you want to draw penalties you need skill and speed through the neutral zone, not dump in, pass the puck to the point, shoot and rinse and repeat.

There is no one out there planning deviously to give Boston the lowest PPs. In a league of 30 teams, someone has to be last in every category.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Top 4 Teams in Power Play Opportunities :
Detroit - 120
Chicago - 119
NY Islanders - 113
Toronto - 111

Bottom 4 :
NY Rangers/Fla/Buff - 87
Montreal - 84
Washington - 83
Boston - 69

The dowside of having diving reputation and having their games called more losely. Bruins have been one of least penalized teams despite playing on the edge for years. Not to mention the Bruins rely on their points for most of their shots(their D usually have a lot of shots taken avg) and those guys rarely draw infractions .

Davebo*

Everyone in the league has figured Julien's joke of a system.

This, perhaps. But it's the style the bruins play that gets them in trouble. Not content to let the refs police the game, they trot out this nebulous 'code' of theirs. For example, If a bruin gets hit - instead of taking the penalty, they will rush in to dispense what they think is justice - boom - their PP is gone, and often times they themselves end up shorthanded. Maybe fans from other teams can chime in on this - but that's how they play the Habs. It's predictable...

Last edited by a moderator:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
The problem: Bruins have too many grinders and not enough skill guys. If you want to draw penalties you need skill and speed through the neutral zone, not dump in, pass the puck to the point, shoot and rinse and repeat.

There is no one out there planning deviously to give Boston the lowest PPs. In a league of 30 teams, someone has to be last in every category.

That's part of it as well, but just goes hand in hand with some of them being very slow. But yes, whatever high level talent there was in the system has been traded away for the sake of a grinding game style that now doesn't work because there's little to no one left who actually has real offensive talent.

But as to the second bolded part above.... Ok, but the same team at or near the bottom now for something like 5 years... ??

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
This, perhaps. But it's the style the bruins play that gets them in trouble. Not content to let the refs police the game, they trot out this nebulous 'code' of theirs. For example, If a bruin gets hit - instead of taking the penalty, they will rush in to dispense what they think is justice - boom - their PP is gone, and often times they themselves end up shorthanded. Maybe fans from other teams can chime in on this - but that's how they play the Habs. It's predictable...

When's the last time something like this happened ? THe Bruins don't get in trouble.... they just don't do anything to draw penalties. Either give up possession of the puck, or cycle the puck endlessly around the perimeter.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
17th in the league in 5 on 5 goals scored

But that stat specifically is definitely a new one for the Bruins this Season. In recent years they've been near the top of the League in goals scored in 5 on 5. The fact that they've fallen this Season in that category is a testament to how poorly they've been playing this Season as compared to the past several Seasons when their PP chances were equally as low as they are now.

Alaix

I believe.
Mar 30, 2010
How about we use more than one useless statistics?

BOS, PP Opp: 72, 30th
BOS, TS: 99, 11th
BOS, PP Opp - TS: -27, tied at 28th with MTL and NJD
BOS, PP Opp - TS time: -38:55, 28th (with MTL and NJD as 29th, 30th)

So Boston is in the bottom few, yes, but it's not worst than MTL or NJD...

Need to find a better excuse!

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Bruins and Their Lack of PP Opportunities

This is something that has been going on for too long to simply be a coincidence and I was wondering what fans around the league thought was the main reason for this. The numbers for PP opportunities relative to other teams in the league are pretty staggering under Julien, particularly the last few years:

2007/08 - 27th
2008/09 - 27th
2009/10 - 29th
2010/11 - 27th
2011/12 - 25th
2012/13 - 30th
2013/14 - 30th
2014/15 (so far) - 30th

This year it's almost comical though: the Bruins have 73 PPs in 32 games. Compare that to 122 PPs for Chicago (1st), 103 PPs for Philadelphia (15th), and 85 PPs for Washington (29th). The disparity is absolutely huge at all levels.

I'm not trying to make this a "conspiracy" thread, but the whole thing is perplexing to me, especially considering that the Bruins have been an extremely strong possession team under Julien, which you would think would lead to more PPs.

The most common theories on the Bruins board are:

a) lack of team speed
b) reputation
c) style of game the Bruins play lends to the refs calling it under a more lax standard, ie. "old school hockey"

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
I am not at all mad lol

But I'm pretty sure I've heard this song and dance several times over the last few years, It's getting tired. It's pretty obvious to see when you watch a bruins game compared to any other game over the last few years. The games are called completely different most of the time. Not to mention, team speed draws a lot of penalties. Something that isn't exactly the Bruins M.O.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I am not at all mad lol

But I'm pretty sure I've heard this song and dance several times over the last few years, It's getting tired. It's pretty obvious to see when you watch a bruins game compared to any other game over the last few years. The games are called completely different most of the time. Not to mention, team speed draws a lot of penalties. Something that isn't exactly the Bruins M.O.

I agree with the last part in regards to recent years, but that 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 team were a bit on the faster/skilled side with guys like Kessel, Kobasew, Sturm, and Savard and max effort guys like Metropolit (who I actually remember drawing a bunch of penalties), Axelsson, Sobotka, and Nokelainen.

I can see how you would get tired of people yelling "conspiracy" because the B's don't draw penalties, but just remember there is a flip side where everybody yells "Daddy Campbell!!!11one!!1" at everything which might potentially favor the Bruins (which is ridiculous when you see how often they go on the PP)

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Boston should hire Adam Oates as assistant coach, he did great job at fixing PP first in NJ then for the Caps

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Funny, it's only people trying to troll bruins fans that are calling it a conspiracy- don't think you read the post you quoted.

As for the other ideas posted
Boston is not the slowest team in the league for the last three years and I don't by that speed alone draws calls. A more plodding possession style game certainly creates opportunities for calls to be made.
Boston goes on the PK more than many teams, so I don't think it adds up that their games just see fewer penalties on both sides.
I do think that reffs let some things go against guys like chara and lucic, because of their size and physical reputation- it's assumed that a hook that would take down a 5'8" player shouldn't take down a 6"9" player, so what would be a call against some guys just isn't against chara.
But that isn't enough IMO to explain the #s over the last 2-3years.

Funny...

You wrote :

Dead last in the league by a HUGE margin (14 fewer than the 29th team whose played 2 fewer games. By far the biggest gap between any team in the league. 40% less than the league median, the leading team is at 20%above for comparison)

Would say it's an anomaly but this is the third year in a row that they are #30 with a bullet.

I don't think it's a conspiracy and I don't think it's just because of the "diving culture"- just wondering how far the numbers have to get before the league takes notice and considers it's practices.

In that post, the only part which doesn't support a conspiracy theory is when you wrote "I don't think it's a conspiracy"...

The rest of the post is Conspiracy Theory 101...

And in the post where you stated "don't think you read the post you quoted", again the rest of the post is Conspiracy Theory 101.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
Combination of they don't play with a lot of speed, they're tough/physical, and they have a few guys that always have to get the last shove in to negate pp's. I think the rest of the league (players) take advantage of the last one. They know they can draw some of the bruins into a retaliatory type penalty.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hey, anyone remember the whole: Let the players decide the game not the refs! outrage thing that was going around...ooo, when was that...a few short years ago?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad