What will it take for the league to look at Boston's PP #'s

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
A trend would be a weak excuse for evidence.

Referees are probably reviewed all the time. If they do want to look into this, it should be done extremely quietly so it doesn't hurt the NHL's image.

Since when is a data trend weak evidence? I'd be fine with however quietly they want to look at it, just wondering how drastic the numbers would have to be before they recognized an issue,

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Since when is a data trend weak evidence? I'd be fine with however quietly they want to look at it, just wondering how drastic the numbers would have to be before they recognized an issue,

But the issue is the fault of the Bruins not the refs

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Again, you don't answer our argument that the Bruins style of play and speed is not one that will provoke penalties.

I don't think you could possibly argue that they are the slowest, or least skilled team in the league.

And yet, here they are, 30th in pp opportunities 3 years in a row.

I think the answer is likely a combination of their somewhat plodding style, and their poor reputation. They simply don't ever get the benefit of the doubt.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Because penalties not seen is different than penalties just not called. The best thing to, IMO, is show a bunch of clips to the referees in question and ask why a penalty wasn't called. If they claim they see a bunch of them, they are incompetent. Proving a bias for a job which is really based upon opinions is probably a hard thing to do.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Again, you don't answer our argument that the Bruins style of play and speed is not one that will provoke penalties.

Do you think they are the slowest team in the league for the last three years? That the slow cycle game they were able to produce the most 5on 5 goals with wouldn't draw more calls than even a other team in the league?

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
You still don't get how a team gets a pp- hint: it has nothing to do with the calls against them,

OK other teams don't not Commit fouls,Break the rules as much as the Bruins.So because other teams do LESS wrong they get LESS PK.
So how can the Bruins get more PP than other teams when other teams don't take as many penalties.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
OK other teams don't not Commit fouls,Break the rules as much as the Bruins.So because other teams do LESS wrong they get LESS PK.
So how can the Bruins get more PP than other teams when other teams don't take as many penalties.

Lol.
So the penalties the Bruins take skew the average league wide.
Interesting hypothesis.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Say what?

I'm saying guys like Lucic, who obviously can be quite the gorilla, and Marchand, who has a rep as a whiny diver, don't get the calls that others would get. The refs, perhaps rightfully so, get sick of their antics and put the whistles away.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I don't think you could possibly argue that they are the slowest, or least skilled team in the league.

I think the answer is likely a combination of their somewhat plodding style, and their poor reputation. They simply don't ever get the benefit of the doubt.

I'd agree with this.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

They've also been in the bottom 12 of the league for times shorthanded for 7 out of the last 8 years.

Lets face it, Boston games are reffed like playoff games more often than not (with more stuff being let go on both sides), which is actually good for their style of play.

Add to that that they usually end up taking more penalties than their opposition due to their lack of speed and intimidating style of play, which is to be expected.

And now they're struggling to top it all off.

TL;DR: fewer penalties in BOS games overall + fewer PPs than opposition + struggling = not surprising that they're last

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
They've also been in the bottom 12 of the league for times shorthanded for 7 out of the last 8 years.

Lets face it, Boston games are reffed like playoff games more often than not (with more stuff being let go on both sides), which is actually good for their style of play.

Add to that that they usually end up taking more penalties than their opposition due to their lack of speed and intimidating style of play, which is to be expected.

And now they're struggling to top it all off.

TL;DR: fewer penalties in BOS games overall + fewer PPs than opposition + struggling = not surprising that they're last

I agree with this completely. Seems like the style the Bruins play is conducive to refs putting the whistles away in general.

BCYa

Sep 3, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I agree with this completely. Seems like the style the Bruins play is conducive to refs putting the whistles away in general.

I wish the refs would call all the penalties the Bruins deserve. They would have no time for a PP, they'd be on the PK all game!

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
I haven't seen enough Bruins hockey lately to tell, but is it possible they're playing in such a standup fashion (yes, this is a compliment) that they aren't getting those calls?

Notice my user name is Dontdive? Maybe they don't dive as much as other teams - which would be a credit to them. If true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad