What will happen with Utica ?

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Hi,

My question is about Utica. Will they stay another year in the AHL or will they move to west coast?

Also, could the Rangers move to Wolfpack there for the 2018-19 season ?

There was this article back then.

http://www.howlings.net/2017/01/06/...ve-ahl-changes-for-2017-2018-about-to-unfold/

The last remaining change in the AHL map will be in Utica where the Vancouver Canucks will be taking their AHL affiliates and leaving for the West Coast, but two different timetables have emerged according to several sources.

One source has the Canucks departing after this season to be housed in the old Canucks home, the PNE Coliseum, whose previous tenant, the WHL Vancouver Giants, moved this past summer to a smaller arena in Langley, BC a southern suburb of Vancouver.

The second scenario, according to a source, has the Canucks leave after year five of their agreement that expires in 2017-18 to play in Vancouver or potentially return to Abbotsford, a former AHL city. Calgary was paid $5.5 million (Canadian) to leave halfway through a ten-year lease arrangement because of mounting losses. They went to play in Glens Falls, NY for two years before heading to Stockton as a part of the new AHL Pacific Division.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hi,

My question is about Utica. Will they stay another year in the AHL or will they move to west coast?

Also, could the Rangers move to Wolfpack there for the 2018-19 season ?

There was this article back then.

http://www.howlings.net/2017/01/06/...ve-ahl-changes-for-2017-2018-about-to-unfold/

NOTHING changes unless Esche or the Canucks change it, but Utica isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and forget the Rangers as a potential option.... I understand the Aud is being upgraded as most arenas should be constantly.... why would the Rangers move further away from Hartford and incur more travel expense as XL is also being renovated, never believe what the Whaler naysayers say, either, all I'd say to them is Howard Baldwin and that busted agreement of the Connecticut Whale failure, by rebranding the Pack mid-season....

HWP1997

Nov 2, 2016
why would the Rangers move further away from Hartford and incur more travel expense as XL is also being renovated, never believe what the Whaler naysayers say, either, all I'd say to them is Howard Baldwin and that busted agreement of the Connecticut Whale failure, by rebranding the Pack mid-season....

The Failers are never coming back to Hartford.

Reactions: Checkers Hockey

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
NOTHING changes unless Esche or the Canucks change it, but Utica isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and forget the Rangers as a potential option.... I understand the Aud is being upgraded as most arenas should be constantly.... why would the Rangers move further away from Hartford and incur more travel expense as XL is also being renovated, never believe what the Whaler naysayers say, either, all I'd say to them is Howard Baldwin and that busted agreement of the Connecticut Whale failure, by rebranding the Pack mid-season....

And the quotes provided allude to the Canucks making the decision.

It could happen. It could also happen that Washington buys the 31st franchise and moves it to Utica, or maybe Esche does. It is going to be a wild ride until we know who bought #31.

We also have no idea what is going to happen in the NHL re Carolina and Arizona.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Really only 3 choices, find another AHL affiliate, go ECHL or go dark.

It's not brain surgery.......

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Nah, Albuquerque so I can get a job at Los Pollos Hermanos!

You can get a job at one closer if you want, there i one in NYC!!!! II was there when it was opening just a couple of weeks ago.

But if you decide to move the city of Utica to ABQ, get a location near the river. :)

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Why not? Vancouver will be making their westward movement, just like the other NHL western teams that had AHL farm teams in the East, after the 17-18 season when their agreement is up. Next season, Vancouver will be finalizing their place for their AHL team. It could be in Vancouver, or Abbotsford, or somewhere in CA in the US. I do not know the answer to that question at this time. And maybe Vancouver does not know that answer either right now.

If you think that the Rangers love Hartford so much, then explain to me in the past few seasons that the Rangers would only extend their agreement for only one season instead of a 4-5 yr agreement? Because they are waiting to see what and when Vancouver pulls out of Utica and heads westward, and when that happens, the Rangers will take over Utica and set up shop there. So what if the XL is being renovated right now. Has nothing to do with that at all. The Rangers have been with Hartford/Connecticut since 1997 and they were in Binghamton from 1990 until 1997. I don't think the Rangers will attract any more fans in Hartford to get them to go see a Rangers in MSG. But if the Rangers move to Utica, it can attract fans in the center part of NY and they can attract new fans to become Rangers fans and maybe get some to watch players develop in Utica and they follow them in MSG. How many consecutive sellouts is Utica up to? Hartford in the past 5 seasons has averaged a hair over 4000 a game and in a building that seats over 16000.

Eshe has done a wonderful job in making Utica a hockey town once again. When Vancouver leaves Utica to head west, the Rangers can't wait for that to happen and they will move in to Utica. If the Rangers wanted to go to Albany, then you would have heard the announcement over a month ago of that happening, but has not happen, nor will it happen. The marketing is already set up and maybe the Rangers might expand on that down the road. Will see.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
I hope they move to Sacramento and their new arena, the Golden 1 Center. I saw Paul McCartney there last October and they could easily fit a rink in it and the lower bowl would be plenty big enough for minor league hockey.

Call them the Sacramento or California Seals and you will match the Orca theme of the Canucks and the original colors of the Oakland/California Seals from 1967-70.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Why not? Vancouver will be making their westward movement, just like the other NHL western teams that had AHL farm teams in the East, after the 17-18 season when their agreement is up. Next season, Vancouver will be finalizing their place for their AHL team. It could be in Vancouver, or Abbotsford, or somewhere in CA in the US. I do not know the answer to that question at this time. And maybe Vancouver does not know that answer either right now.

If you think that the Rangers love Hartford so much, then explain to me in the past few seasons that the Rangers would only extend their agreement for only one season instead of a 4-5 yr agreement? Because they are waiting to see what and when Vancouver pulls out of Utica and heads westward, and when that happens, the Rangers will take over Utica and set up shop there. So what if the XL is being renovated right now. Has nothing to do with that at all. The Rangers have been with Hartford/Connecticut since 1997 and they were in Binghamton from 1990 until 1997. I don't think the Rangers will attract any more fans in Hartford to get them to go see a Rangers in MSG. But if the Rangers move to Utica, it can attract fans in the center part of NY and they can attract new fans to become Rangers fans and maybe get some to watch players develop in Utica and they follow them in MSG. How many consecutive sellouts is Utica up to? Hartford in the past 5 seasons has averaged a hair over 4000 a game and in a building that seats over 16000.

Eshe has done a wonderful job in making Utica a hockey town once again. When Vancouver leaves Utica to head west, the Rangers can't wait for that to happen and they will move in to Utica. If the Rangers wanted to go to Albany, then you would have heard the announcement over a month ago of that happening, but has not happen, nor will it happen. The marketing is already set up and maybe the Rangers might expand on that down the road. Will see.

Isn't the XL center being renovated since they have a new arena manager in the past year or so??

And from the numbers, Esche has done a good job. Hopefully he is in conversation with the Rangers

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Take it with a grain of salt since I don't buy into all of the rumors that get kicked around but there is a strong rumor that Vancouver will be extending their agreement with Utica rather than moving their AHL team west. They just started construction this week for a major renovation at the Aud that will include 7 suites and supposedly tied to a contract extension with Vancouver. Conventional wisdom says the Canucks would want to join their Pacific division rivals and move the farm out west but not everyone follows conventional wisdom.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Take it with a grain of salt since I don't buy into all of the rumors that get kicked around but there is a strong rumor that Vancouver will be extending their agreement with Utica rather than moving their AHL team west. They just started construction this week for a major renovation at the Aud that will include 7 suites and supposedly tied to a contract extension with Vancouver. Conventional wisdom says the Canucks would want to join their Pacific division rivals and move the farm out west but not everyone follows conventional wisdom.
Yeah... I've heard that before. Renovations, lease tied to NHL club.... etc.

Let's say it's didn't work out that well.....

(Good bye Portland, Hello Springfield)

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Comets fans better hope a new affiliate takes over the team (possibly Rangers)

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Why would the Rangers organization announce any move now? They aren't as stupid as the Devils organization and affect attendance even worse like they did in Albany. The year the Rangers played a "home" pre season NHL game in Albany's arena (home rink of then AHL Devils) on a Wednesday night there were roughly 9000 fans total, 80% of the attendance were wearing the Broadway Blues.... It was that same year the Rangers attempted to get NJ to voluntarily relocate from Albany so the Rangers could execute a move from Hartford the following season. The NJ Devils organization declined and blocked the move, by the end of the season Hartford did a one season extension. Whether the Rangers eventually end up leaving Hartford it is far from set in stone where they are going. Should it be Utica, Esche and DuRoss will do a solid job, but to suggest there are no behind the scenes discussion for Albany is just not responsible. Albany is the state Capital, its business and political leaders are aligned well with NYC interests, don't count Albany out........ Almost two hours alone in made up travel distance for recalls and send downs makes a big difference. You can hop on a train on the opposite side of the Hudson River in Albany and get off that train underneath MSG in just over 2 hours. The Rangers in Albany is a solid fit and would renew the AHL there. The most Utica could do is continue to draw no better then their rink capacity of around 3700, Albany would be drawing no less then 4000 to 5000 as a Ranger affiliate. Albany just needs to stay dark, and get their 30 million in renovations done....No talk of hockey, don't discuss what is going on, etc.....

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
A new affiliate will have to either buy the team from Vancouver or move another AHL franchise to Utica...

The Devils will relocate to Utica after next season since they will become the league's bottom feeders in Binghamton with Albany gone lol, not to mention we know how the Devils love to exit cities. The Devils exfil cities after breaking contracts and leaving behind the scorched earth fan base behind lol...

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I for one am not going to sit around worrying about who is coming and going. There are no guarantees in the AHL. If the Canucks leave, life will still go on.

The Canucks run even if it ends next summer has been far more fun and successful than the 6 year devils run.
We have Colgate, and the Crunch are 1 hour west. Why worry about something you can not control??

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
It took longer than I expected for Nightsquad to repeat for the 500th time that the Rangers should relocate their AHL team to Albany. Seriously dude do you ever post about anything else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad