What will happen with Utica ?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Since the boards changed it's been hard for me to edit posts. I also forgot it was a five year deal, but some deals have been broken before and relocations happened in the midst of contracts; it's happened before, it just can't come to me right now.

no contracts are ever broken is the 1st year of any relationship/contract, it's usually the 4th or 5th year, or in the case of Binghamton, they knew the Belleville deal had happened, Albany was truly done/damaged by the Devils the 1st time they went there and the whole CDS sidebar.....

REMEMBER, the Falcons were sold by the previous owners in Springfield, to Arizona, just as this current Thunderbirds ownership bought Portland's franchise in 2015/16, as its replacement, even with a year remaining the clause was paid to Spectra due to the sale/transfer

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I don't think Tampa owns the franchise, Howard Doglon owns it. Whom is the main reason it stays in CNY.
Yes, Howard does own it. The only thing keeping the team here is his promise not to move until a championship banner hung in the War Memorial. Given the lack of support the County Executive has given the franchise, Dolgon would be a fool to not take the first good offer once he hangs that banner. Mahoney (County Executive) is nothing more than a political hack who used her contacts at the State level to close down/tear down the race track at the NYS Fairgrounds to make more room for her equestrian cronies. Neither racing nor ice hockey fans are the kind of voters who support her act so what does she care about empty promises. The War Memorial at Oncenter is a dump that only so many coats of paint can cover anyways.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Yes, Howard does own it. The only thing keeping the team here is his promise not to move until a championship banner hung in the War Memorial. Given the lack of support the County Executive has given the franchise, Dolgon would be a fool to not take the first good offer once he hangs that banner. Mahoney (County Executive) is nothing more than a political hack who used her contacts at the State level to close down/tear down the race track at the NYS Fairgrounds to make more room for her equestrian cronies. Neither racing nor ice hockey fans are the kind of voters who support her act so what does she care about empty promises. The War Memorial at Oncenter is a dump that only so many coats of paint can cover anyways.

Yea I am shocked Syracuse doesn't have a newer arena. I have a co worker who grew up in Upstate NY near in Liverpool area. He is a Vet, from a family of Vets and said many up that way would revolt if they ever tore down the War Memorial. Couldn't they build a new building and incorporate the memorial portion into a new arena??

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Yea I am shocked Syracuse doesn't have a newer arena. I have a co worker who grew up in Upstate NY near in Liverpool area. He is a Vet, from a family of Vets and said many up that way would revolt if they ever tore down the War Memorial. Couldn't they build a new building and incorporate the memorial portion into a new arena??
New arena??? They hardly take care of the one they have.... When the crunch hosted the all star game a couple seasons ago they painted the building and said it was the first time it had been painted since it was built....

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
As a Vet with my name on the wall and family who are vets in prominent positions in the hall, I will call a dump a dump. In an ideal world, the county and state get together and here is what happens. A War Memorial is built on the NYS Fairgrounds featuring every Medal of Honor winner from NYS while featuring vets from Onondaga County. The current War Memorial is torn down and replaced with a parking facility. The current combo open lot/parking garage across the street is torn down and a new year round arena similar to the one in Grand Rapids is built there. Vets get a new facility in a high profile area, current eyesore is torn down and replaced with state of the art facility, and the new parking facility is more centralized for the Oncenter complex. Win across the board.

Reactions: Tommy Hawk

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
I hope for the sake of the hockey fans in Utica that they get another AHL team. I wished the Canucks had decided last year that they would transfer their affiliate to the West Coast which makes sense logistically. The move is inevitable and this leaves open an empty arena and more importantly a community that loves hockey and comes out and supports it. If this had happened last year, the Albany Devils could have moved there and it would have been a good fit. A return of a partnership that ended when the reverse happened and the Utica Devils pulled out and hightailed it to Albany years ago. I hope something good comes in to replace the Canucks.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I hope for the sake of the hockey fans in Utica that they get another AHL team. I wished the Canucks had decided last year that they would transfer their affiliate to the West Coast which makes sense logistically. The move is inevitable and this leaves open an empty arena and more importantly a community that loves hockey and comes out and supports it. If this had happened last year, the Albany Devils could have moved there and it would have been a good fit. A return of a partnership that ended when the reverse happened and the Utica Devils pulled out and hightailed it to Albany years ago. I hope something good comes in to replace the Canucks.
Utica never hightailed it to Albany..... Albany's franchise was an Islanders affiliate when the Devils went there, long before Bridgeport and Webster Bank Arena was even discussed, Utica's franchise still exists, folks, just as they relocated to Utica from Portland in 1987, the franchise was sold to Calgary when the Islanders franchise was acquired by Capital District Sports

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->