What will happen with Utica ?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
And every one of them tweets about it, so it's not like it's a secret :laugh:

Twitter isn't even that popular, not everyone uses it(shock)I mean the thing loses so much money, never has turned a profit or come even close and never will but its basically propped up(same thing with Snapchat)

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Twitter isn't even that popular, not everyone uses it(shock)I mean the thing loses so much money, never has turned a profit or come even close and never will but its basically propped up(same thing with Snapchat)

328 million monthly active users, up from 319 million in 4th quarter of 2016. And its financials are irrelevant to the comment "Twitter isn't even that popular", as Twitter is the seventh largest social network in the world.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
328 million monthly active users, up from 319 million in 4th quarter of 2016. And its financials are irrelevant to the comment "Twitter isn't even that popular", as Twitter is the seventh largest social network in the world.

There's 7+ social networks now? I mean that seems like nothing compared to Facebook which turns a nice profit. Still makes no sense how something that bleeds red can stay open. Besides when people post stuff they probably post it on both so one wouldn't even need a Twitter to get said information, I mean not that I care I don't search for team pages and all. Not everyone on here actually does that or cares about their pages, we don't all have the time or the desire.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
There's 7+ social networks now? I mean that seems like nothing compared to Facebook which turns a nice profit. Still makes no sense how something that bleeds red can stay open. Besides when people post stuff they probably post it on both so one wouldn't even need a Twitter to get said information, I mean not that I care I don't search for team pages and all. Not everyone on here actually does that or cares about their pages, we don't all have the time or the desire.

All irrelevant.

You said the western teams fly everywhere and they don't, and even a small amount of research would show you're wrong. The rest is just deflection on your part.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1wtKoHjq7uUGc_a1Vj2oj0Mhuf7I&ll=35.39079408617995%2C-115.49035190625&z=6
The AHL team map. You can even zoom in if you aren't familiar with the geography out west.
Stockton (the most northern AHL city in CA) to San Diego (the most southern) is a little over seven hours, so I'm sure that even in the ECHL days those teams were bussing. In fact, I went to Reading Royals games in Stockton, Long Beach, and Las Vegas and the Royals bussed between those three cities, traveling overnight between games. Tuscon to San Diego is also about seven hours. Without looking at the schedule I would bet that the northern teams are probably scheduled to play in Ontario or San Diego a day or two before playing Tuscon, so they can avoid flying there too. Going back to the ECHL days, Stockton to Salt Lake City is only a ten hour drive and Salt Lake to Boise is even less. Teams certainly did fly back in the ECHL (and even WCHL) Pacific Division, but certainly not to every game, and probably not even most games. Aside from Alaska they likely bussed to most cities if the schedule permitted, and when it didn't they probably flew once, and then rented a bus for week or two to travel between different cities, just like teams in the east.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Really has been quite regarding any team movements. Nothing to suggest that Vancouver will not finish their 6th season of the contract.

Nothing coming out of Hartford regarding the Rangers.

Bridgeport is reportedly in a suit with the city over contract legalities....

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Really has been quite regarding any team movements. Nothing to suggest that Vancouver will not finish their 6th season of the contract.

I'm of a mind that, at least, the Canucks will eventually pull out of Utica. Thing is, that will only happen if/when Seattle establishes a nearby AHL affiliate... and that's at least 3 years away, maybe 4. Timing is everything.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

The Islanders are actually in talks with Bridgeport about partnering with city leaders to upgrade the arena in Bridgeport. Discussions appear to be on going about them moving towards long term agreement. Perfect partnership.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Just a few ghostly whispers in CNY regarding the future of the AHL in Utica. Given the amount of money that was just put into renovations in Utica's rink, it is unlikely it will go without a team. Syracuse, on the other hand, plays in a dump that was out of date last century. The County officials keep making promises, but there is only so much perfume you can put on a pile of poop to cover the smell. Crunch ownership have vowed to bring a title to Syracuse, which may be the only thing keeping the franchise in town. Tampa says they are happy in CNY, but money talks and if the franchise had a chance to move closer to Western Florida, that would save a lot of costs for the Bolts. For now, it is wait and see.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Just a few ghostly whispers in CNY regarding the future of the AHL in Utica. Given the amount of money that was just put into renovations in Utica's rink, it is unlikely it will go without a team. Syracuse, on the other hand, plays in a dump that was out of date last century. The County officials keep making promises, but there is only so much perfume you can put on a pile of poop to cover the smell. Crunch ownership have vowed to bring a title to Syracuse, which may be the only thing keeping the franchise in town. Tampa says they are happy in CNY, but money talks and if the franchise had a chance to move closer to Western Florida, that would save a lot of costs for the Bolts. For now, it is wait and see.

Where would Tampa's affiliate play? I can only think of Orlando, which has done very well in the ECHL. But I'm not convinced they would save a ton of money. If they're in Syracuse, their prospects are rarely outside of the NY/Penn/NE region which would probably make it easy and cheap to grab them and bring them wherever they need to be.

I don't think Utica would be dark for very long if at all if the Canucks pull out. The Comets whole selling point as an affiliate is "Just keep your prospects here and we'll take care of the rest". They're basically subcontractors. A team like the Rangers could just stash their kids there and not have to think about about the day to day operations of a minor league team. All of that burden is on Esche. As much as it pains me to say it, I think Albany is done if they can't also put together some kind of ownership group, and quick.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I don't think Tampa owns the franchise, Howard Doglon owns it. Whom is the main reason it stays in CNY.

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I don't think Tampa owns the franchise, Howard Dolgon (sp) owns it. Who h is the main reason it stays in CNY.

Zeta is on the same track I am but I think 'Squid was referring to if (example) say the Solar Bears (Orlando) or better yet the Everblades were available down in Estero and promotion in to the AHL. Lots of moving parts, as in

* Vinik buying the franchise from Karmanos and new owner Tom Dundon - and that's even if the Everblades and Germaine Arena are still up for sale now. May not be with new ownership now, maybe they decide to rescind the sale - who knows

* Andrews to sign off on another addition to the AHL, someone moving to the Northern Division, place them in the Atlantic and the closest geographic competition is ironically Charlotte

While I get the pattern now is to have the farm teams closer to big Clubs, I don't see however the cost savings for the Lightning. The main reason they moved from Norfolk to Syracuse was for increased practice time (primarily), less travel, and cost reductions. Until say Gwinnett gets added too there's not much of a benefit for any of this to happen unless the geographical gaps decrease, as a start.

Anyway, back to the topic of Utica.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Where would Tampa's affiliate play? I can only think of Orlando, which has done very well in the ECHL. But I'm not convinced they would save a ton of money. If they're in Syracuse, their prospects are rarely outside of the NY/Penn/NE region which would probably make it easy and cheap to grab them and bring them wherever they need to be.

I don't think Utica would be dark for very long if at all if the Canucks pull out. The Comets whole selling point as an affiliate is "Just keep your prospects here and we'll take care of the rest". They're basically subcontractors. A team like the Rangers could just stash their kids there and not have to think about about the day to day operations of a minor league team. All of that burden is on Esche. As much as it pains me to say it, I think Albany is done if they can't also put together some kind of ownership group, and quick.
The business model that Esche has set up in Utica has to be attractive to NHL teams and it looks like it was basically copied by Binghamton with the Devils. For that model to work there has to be a NHL team that owns their AHL franchise and looking to move it. Now that the Devils are in Binghamton there are only three viable scenarios that I see for Utica. 1, the Canucks sign an extension or either the Rangers or Islanders move their AHL team to Utica. I don't really see any other NHL teams coming here.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Not quite certain about the Albany Rangers thing, not that it wouldn't be a good fit but just appears that the city and county leaders up in Smallbany are all about the basketball or arena football. I think its shortsighted as that area loves Rangers hockey, lots of downstate fans can make the easy drive to Albany, easier more so then Fartford Ct. The arena football is imploding, down to four teams including Albany's yet to be named team. Albany's college basketball scene has not one but two teams. You cannot justify the new arena's renovations for low level DI college basketball. My relatives from Saratoga Springs sent me this link, looks like Albany just finished partial renovations and looks pretty good but that arena is way too big for a small city like Albany. Albany's arena was only supposed to be around 6,500 to 7500 seats, they're stuck with it now.

Gawking at the TU Center's new atrium (after)

The TU Center atrium renovation project has (officially) started (Before)

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Zeta is on the same track I am but I think 'Squid was referring to if (example) say the Solar Bears (Orlando) or better yet the Everblades were available down in Estero and promotion in to the AHL. Lots of moving parts, as in

* Vinik buying the franchise from Karmanos and new owner Tom Dundon - and that's even if the Everblades and Germaine Arena are still up for sale now. May not be with new ownership now, maybe they decide to rescind the sale - who knows

* Andrews to sign off on another addition to the AHL, someone moving to the Northern Division, place them in the Atlantic and the closest geographic competition is ironically Charlotte

While I get the pattern now is to have the farm teams closer to big Clubs, I don't see however the cost savings for the Lightning. The main reason they moved from Norfolk to Syracuse was for increased practice time (primarily), less travel, and cost reductions. Until say Gwinnett gets added too there's not much of a benefit for any of this to happen unless the geographical gaps decrease, as a start.

Anyway, back to the topic of Utica.
Gwinnett doesn't exist.... it was morphed into Atlanta

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Think Utica should relocate to either Victoria, Chilliwack, Billings, Utah, or Boise.
San Jose should also consider moving their team to Sacremento, Fresno, or Utah.
NJ should moving their affiliate back to Utica if the Comets leave.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Think Utica should relocate to either Victoria, Chilliwack, Billings, Utah, or Boise.

apparently, the Sharks like having the Barracuda side by side, and no to the Devils proposal.... Binghamton has that locked up after Ottawa bought their affiliate and into Belleville, Makar, you're also forgetting Esche has to be likely bought out or paid by VAN or another team and there doesn't appear to be any shifts except what's known as Colorado bringing the Eagles up a league after 15 seasons between the CHL/ECHL....

Utah already has said no to the AHL, Add in, the ECHL Grizzlies exist, that's how Cleveland returned;

Victoria/Chilliwack are junior markets solely and Victoria didn't really catch on with the Salmon Kings...

Fresno has their Monsters....

and Boise has been done, Billings is too isolated.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
apparently, the Sharks like having the Barracuda side by side, and no to the Devils proposal.... Binghamton has that locked up after Ottawa bought their affiliate and into Belleville, Makar, you're also forgetting Esche has to be likely bought out or paid by VAN or another team and there doesn't appear to be any shifts except what's known as Colorado bringing the Eagles up a league after 15 seasons between the CHL/ECHL....

Utah already has said no to the AHL, Add in, the ECHL Grizzlies exist, that's how Cleveland returned;

Victoria/Chilliwack are junior markets solely and Victoria didn't really catch on with the Salmon Kings...

Fresno has their Monsters....

and Boise has been done, Billings is too isolated.

Fresno's not following a P2P team. Thing is, would the next team go back to Selland (downtown, older, recently renovated) or try Save Mart (conflicts with Fresno State, too big, but newer/more modern)? It's a bit of a mess.

With Colorado going AHL and Texas teams in that ECHL division, are Idaho and Utah going to be able to hang for long? They are wildcards in about any available scenario for some years to come. Utah's draw is insufficient for the building they play in (not sure what their sponsor/business community support is doing). Idaho... could have options depending on WHL issues.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Why would NJ randomly pull out of Binghamton and move to Utica? What purpose would that serve?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Why would NJ randomly pull out of Binghamton and move to Utica? What purpose would that serve?

A better relationship in the long-term, Utica supports well and I believe it's much closer (I could be wrong). Would say the Chicago Wolves, but I think the Wolves and Vegas are going to be affiliates for a very... long time.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
A better relationship in the long-term, Utica supports well and I believe it's much closer (I could be wrong). Would say the Chicago Wolves, but I think the Wolves and Vegas are going to be affiliates for a very... long time.
Binghamton is actually about an hour closer. I just don't see the point. But then again after losing the Senators last year I get edgy whenever talks arise of us losing another team. :laugh:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
so is Binghamton, Makar.... that's a 5 year deal, correct Binghamton fans

DudeWhereIsMakar

Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
so is Binghamton, Makar.... that's a 5 year deal, correct Binghamton fans

Since the boards changed it's been hard for me to edit posts. I also forgot it was a five year deal, but some deals have been broken before and relocations happened in the midst of contracts; it's happened before, it just can't come to me right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->