What We Have Learned

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
"2. The euphoria created by the Canucks playoff run last year was misplaced."

That euphoria was not nearly as misplaced as so many think. Bear with me here, because I know the following is the LAST thing most of y'all want to hear, but despite how horrible this season was, all the things that went wrong... and they were PLENTIFUL.... The Canucks missed the playoffs by 9 points, and Montreal made it.

All that had to not happen for the Canucks to make the playoffs this year is not allowing Toffoli to leave for Montreal (who ended up carrying them and single handedly taking at least 6 points from the Canucks), and the covid incident that hobbled the entire team for the last third of the season. That's it. Those two things were just a bridge too far, and adding onto everything else, really smoked the team. Without them happening, this season looks so much different, and so much of the doom and gloom swirling around the team right now is simply not there.

Reactions: RussianRacket

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory

That euphoria was not nearly as misplaced as so many think. Bear with me here, because I know the following is the LAST thing most of y'all want to hear, but despite how horrible this season was, all the things that went wrong... and they were PLENTIFUL.... The Canucks missed the playoffs by 9 points, and Montreal made it.

All that had to not happen for the Canucks to make the playoffs this year is not allowing Toffoli to leave for Montreal (who ended up carrying them and single handedly taking at least 6 points from the Canucks), and the covid incident that hobbled the entire team for the last third of the season. That's it. Those two things were just a bridge too far, and adding onto everything else, really smoked the team. Without them happening, this season looks so much different, and so much of the doom and gloom swirling around the team right now is simply not there.
This is a good post and I agree with it.

We will be going deep in the playoffs on a yearly basis very soon.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Canucks are a very weak team with above average goaltending.

Lack of size and toughness make the Canucks very easy to play against. Definately not a club built to run deep in a tough playoff run.

Reactions: DFAC

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Canucks are a very weak team with above average goaltending.

Lack of size and toughness make the Canucks very easy to play against. Definately not a club built to run deep in a tough playoff run.
Its still weird to me that Petey is 6'2". Its the same height as mcdavid, but i swear mcdavid looks like a giant compared to him.
Also the lack of size and toughness would be fine if we were actually fast, but we arent. We are a painfully slow in both pace and actual speed.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Losing Tanev was a bigger loss than many fans gave it credit for....oh wait, the smart ones already knew that. Nvm.

Calgary media almost unanimously agreed that he was their best player all year.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
Bull shit.

Proper protocols, properly promoted and executed would have limited any covid impact. MTL limited their variant spread to a single positive and a single close contact among their players.

Covid is no excuse. It's bullshit, par for the course for this management regime and the non-defense of it.
Thank god for the ignore feature... truly hope your ignorance doesn’t reflect HF....

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
What bothers me most is that SFA's terrible reputation is very well known around the league, so what intelligent, go-getting management person would ever want to work for him? To me that's the dismal central issue that we're facing.
I cannot give details here except to say that I have reliably heard of there being at least one, and it would have been a godsend. I wish I could say more.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
17 in 51 is a 27 point/82 game ES pace which is totally acceptable for a #3C.

He didn't receive any PP time or top-6 time that year, chugged through tough minutes on a terrible team with a positive goal differential, and provided acceptable (and actually pretty good once you factor in the 9 in 10) production for the role. His production actually was *up* from 16-17 when he played like half the year with the Sedins at ES and was on the #1 PP unit for the whole year.

That season, he actually came close to justifying his salary (or would have had he played 82 games). Everything else has been total crap, though.

I think I must have mentally blocked that out due to the trauma. Holy shit, was it really the whole year? That was so bad.

-------------------------

I don't think I really learned anything about this team this year that I didn't already know. It's still run by idiots who have no idea they're idiots, the guy who's been running by far the best area of team performance over the last three years looks to have one foot out the door and the team is somehow casual about it...but then see the first part of this sentence. That's how well the team's run.

By far the best news this season was the emergence of Hoglander and Rathbone. Love Hoglander's energy. One of, like, maybe two or three forwards who can do anything 5 on 5. And I said it before and I'm sticking by it: I think Rathbone could conceivably be better than Hughes. I really do.

Demko is of course awesome. Holtby sucks.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Losing Tanev was a bigger loss than many fans gave it credit for....oh wait, the smart ones already knew that. Nvm.

Yeah but it wouldn't be wise to give him a new contract this because he was old, about to turn

*Checks notes* ...31

Jfc what a disastrous management decision

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Yeah but Myers is taller, drafted higher and makes more money - he is CLEARLY better

Reactions: supercanuck

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This team got owned by the Habs multiple times this year. The same team is getting completely wrecked right now and cannot score to save their lives.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah but it wouldn't be wise to give him a new contract this because he was old, about to turn

*Checks notes* ...31

Jfc what a disastrous management decision
Seeing Tanev this season vs his seasons under Green is where my opinion on Green as a tactician was cemented (he’s a terrible tactical coach).

Reactions: racerjoe

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Learned, in what area of hockey?

One big one is that Benning doesn't have a plan, still.
The same message from 3 and 4 and 5 years ago at the end of the season.
Benning made it more clear that merely making the playoffs is HIS goal, not building a playoff team to go far.
That Benning still doesn't understand the market or fans, he just gave the fans what he thinks they wanted, Pearson, Demko and Green. Then he stated buyouts, trades, FAs and contracts plus PLAYOFFS again. everything he thinks fans want to hear regardless is he can fulfil any of those statements. One thing is clear, no matter what the fans think they don't matter.
While I agree you can't let the mob rule, sometimes a little revolution can create long standing greatness. Especially when a mad dictator runs the show with not regard to anything but his perverse sense of reality.

Reactions: kevinsane

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

9 points is a sizable amount of points to make up though just to be 4th in the division. Also, what chances does this team have vs Toronto? Is there euphoria in squeaking into the playoffs and then getting swept?

You can't really just wash away "allowing Toffoli to leave to Montreal". Bad GM'ing is a main reason why the team is where it is right now.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This team got owned by the Habs multiple times this year. The same team is getting completely wrecked right now and cannot score to save their lives.
In the first month of this season, the Canucks couldn't beat anybody (except for the Sens, who were hapless at the time)..The top 6 was invisible, and neither goalie could make a save.
The Habs themselves went through a stretch where they couldn't win later in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad