Speculation: What was said to Neil during the 2nd intermission

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It wasn't a facewash, Cooke was bleeding from a glove on punchto the face. That's why he got 4 for roughing even though there was less than two minutes left. Still nothing like what he deserved but what can you do.
I am more curious about what Neil was saying to Crosby. He was not threating him or anything, judging by Crosby's reaction, but he seemed to have a lot to say.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
You just can't be disappointed with the response. Neil was doing everything he could out there to turn the game into a show, the Pens politely declined. It does nothing good to start pounding on a player in a 4-2 loss.

There's games left between the Sens and Pens this year. If there's one thing you can say about Ottawa it's that they don't exactly have a short memory, especially Neil.

One of the things I admire about Neil is that he does pick his spots clean. He didn't get his shot this game. Next game, maybe Crosby takes a suicide pass up the middle...

This isn't done yet.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
It wasn't a facewash, Cooke was bleeding from a glove on punchto the face. That's why he got 4 for roughing even though there was less than two minutes left. Still nothing like what he deserved but what can you do.
I am more curious about what Neil was saying to Crosby. He was not threating him or anything, judging by Crosby's reaction, but he seemed to have a lot to say.

im absolutely 100% sure after watching that exchange over and over again (since i was also wondering what they said....that while Neil was giving Crosby a little of the business, slowed down got Crosby's attention and simply told him that Karlsson had a lacerated (or whatever term he used) Achilles.
you can see Crosby just tilt his head back a little and you can see him mouth "ahh..f***k"

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Neil didn't respond I would have been horrified.

Cooke deserved a Carkner-like beatdown, even if he didn't mean to do it.

Berserker*

The rest of the team didn't really respond though. Smith, Phillips, Methot and Neil were the only players that really did anything.

h2

Mar 26, 2002

The Bell hit on Alfredsson left me horrified.. I'm still wondering what our response was to that hit..

pdoggy

Dec 1, 2011
Perhaps Neil didn't do anything because there's no proof of any intent, and it was a simple freak incident? (I'll wait for the "he should be suspended because he's Matt Cooke). Do you really think the players spent the intermission finding out what happened? No. They are worrying about the game.

Just a quick note on Matt Cooke's skate. Lots of players lift their back skate up going into the boards so their skates don't get tangled up with the other players. It lets them quickly get out of the corner without falling. Does Cooke put his skate down? Yes, because he has to. Was there intent? Who knows. You dont know, I don't know. Cooke getting suspended won't make you happy, you won't feel "justice" is served. Losing that calliper player would bring any fan base up in arms.

Crosby took a hit to the head and was out over a season due to "incidental contact" to the head. Malkin had a torn ACL AND MCL from Buffalo's Tyler Meyers taking out his knees. No penalty. Staal had a lacerated foot in the players from PK Subban. No penalty. Your not the only team that had a star go down.

You sit here and pretty much want Cooke's head on a platter, then hope someone takes out Crosby who had nothing to do with this incident at all. You prove no better than the person you hate so much.

Just my $.02 Mostly a Pens fan, but I enjoy many players from other teams as well (including EK), sucks to see him go down, but just need to keep a clear head.

Last edited:

esdoorn

Nov 14, 2006
70 40
Neil tried to engage Cooke and he turtled.

What's he supposed to do? Kick him on the ground? Whack him with his stick?

Neil went after him, that's all you can ask for.

Do what McCarthy did to Lemieux when he turtled!

lemieux4_cropped.jpg

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
While it would be silly to tell your team to go out and intentionally hurt any other player in the league i would certainly not mind Pmac encouraging his team to play reckless on the forecheck against this team going forward surely whats good for the goose is good for the gander

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
While it would be silly to tell your team to go out and intentionally hurt any other player in the league i would certainly not mind Pmac encouraging his team to play reckless on the forecheck against this team going forward surely whats good for the goose is good for the gander

Yup. Tie up their hands, drive them into the boards with your knees, stomp recklessly. It's all good.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007

I imagine he was telling Crosby what a hypocritical sack of absolute ****ing **** he is for talking so much about player safety while having one of the biggest cheap-shot pieces of ****ing **** as a team-mate.

pdoggy

Dec 1, 2011
I imagine he was telling Crosby what a hypocritical sack of absolute ****ing **** he is for talking so much about player safety while having one of the biggest cheap-shot pieces of ****ing **** as a team-mate.

Because Crosby decides who is in the line-up?

Margaret Trudeau*

they probably told him not to slice Crosby's tendon. That it would be fair if he did but there's a double standard.

So the only answer is to hire Stiffler, give him some millions and tell him to return the favour to Mario.

If I was Eugene I'd look into it.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
He was probably updating Crosby on Karlsson injury status.

Makes sense i had heard Neiler and Sid were in the same fantasy league, Sid luckily drawing first overall pick this year snapped up the best player in the league quickly in Karlsson...thus his reaction to losing his top fantasy guy and most likely the league.... "ahhh F$%#"

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if Cooke is scratched for the next game they play Ottawa to avoid it turning into a circus or the refs find a reason to give him a game misconduct. The other thing is that Ottawa has had these kind of incidents happen to them before & have rarely responded, the Carkner/Boyle incident aside. BTW I wonder how Carkner feels after sticking up for his teammates then not being re-signed by the organization.

Personally, to all thatsay we should tank, we never should regardless of the possibilities. No athlete ever plays to lose. We should never quit, never give up & in fact, should play to win even more. This is an opportunity for the players in the lineup to prove themselves in positions they might not otherwise have. It wouldn't be the first time a heavily favouried team loses to a team decimated with injuries.

So as fans let's not talk about quitting, let's continue to talk about winning, about doing what it takes to shut their offence down & get some dirty goals. Let's encourage our players to work harder & stand up for each other & go for the win. We still have the best goalie in the NHL right now so let's encourage the players to help him keep his record intact. Never give up, never quit & never ever tank, **** the draft we've done fine from wherever we draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad