Speculation: What was said to Neil during the 2nd intermission

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I think for most fans they may be wondering why Neil didn't take more corrective action towards Cooke. EK is gone for the season, and the worst Cooke has to show for it is a facewash from Neil. I don't understand why it is acceptable for Cooke to go around ruining careers but no one ruins his career. So why didn't Neil take more severe action and risk a suspension?

I'm not sure if Neil would have gone after him, or even if Bylsma would have left him out on the ice while Neil's line was out there, other than the 1 incident. But I'm going to speculate on what MacLean said to him and tell me if you think this is in the ballpark:

MacLean, like most coaches nowadays, rarely command rash decisions (while in an emotional state which is the worst time to make decisions) or "code red's" like Isiah Thomas ordering the flagrant foul on JR Smith or the Bertuzzi incident (which I cannot find anything saying Crawford ordered the hit). I'm guessing he said something to Neil along the lines of:

"Don't do anything stupid. I don't need you taking a suspension. You're one of our core players and with Cowick, Spetsa, 9MM, and now EK out of the lineup I can't afford another regular being suspended for 10 games. We may suffer down the road but we'll suffer more if you're not there. You'll have better opportunities down the road, but you have to suck it up and wait for the lineup to get replenished."

And then again Neil is a smart guy and he's been around the league for a while so MacLean may know that he doesn't have to tell that to Neil anyway because he knows better than to potentially hurt the team more. Either way - I think SOMETHING transpired during the intermission and I wondered if that was a decent speculation.

I also saw the officials talking to Neil quite a bit in between whistles - I wonder if they were urging him to refrain from suspendable offences, especially because then they would have to deal with a more serious situation.

I'm pretty ticked that Cooke can continuously cheap shot people and no one will hit him back. I'm pretty ticked that Neil is our tough guy but he didn't take, in my opinion, more severe action on Cooke. But I'm guessing he has to hold it all in because he's afraid of Shanny coming down on him like a ton of bricks and he's actually fighting through emotional reactions for the better of the team.

Thoughts?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm happy with what Neil did.

They couldn't know the extent of the damage, the game was still up in the air.

Once the game was out of reach, and the diagnosis made, Neil took steps.

Not sure what else you want to see?

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
I think you are overthinking it.

The Sens in general dont usually respond well to things like this... Neil is one of the few that normally does respond. He waited till the game was almost over and went at him... Was actually a fairly harmless attempt because Cooke wouldnt give him the chance.

Pretty dissapointing. But I doubt what u wrote happened.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For the record, there's never an excuse to go out and Bertuzzi someone.

I'm livid with what happened, but not that livid.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I agree, Neil was probably told to keep focused on playing for the win.

I'd be much happier if he'd clobbered Cooke and received a 10-game suspension. But clobbered Cooke good.

That said, it would be pretty hard to goad Cooke into a fight. Neil would've had to do something reprehensible himself, like blind-side punch him, fall onto his back, and ... well, you know the script to that play.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I just wanted to reiterate my hatred for the Penguins franchise even outside of this Karlsson incident.

- Spezza's back injury finally culminating earlier this season vs Pittsburgh

- Alfredsson injured:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/12/23/sp-nhl-senators-penguins.html

- Spezza injured:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=346975&hubname=nhl-senators

- Donovan injured:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/11/21/senators_donovan_injury/

- Eaves injured:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/sportsblog/2007/04/eaves_injury_reignites_debate.html

I'm sure I'm missing more, but is there a team out there that owns us more with these long-term injuries the past few years? Ridiculous.

Edit: Added Letang on Spezza

Last edited:

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
That definitely seems like a reasonable assessment. With such a depleted line-up, the loss of Neil for any extended period of time would be a big loss. That being said, even if he got and instigator+aggressor in the final five minutes of the game, it would only be a 1 game suspension. Neil didn't even drop the gloves when he went after Cooke (although Cooke did drop like a sack of bricks as soon as Neil got a few glove shots in).

I'm of the personal opinion that the intent on the original play seems unlikely, but I'd have no problem with Neil going after Cooke just as a sign of team solidarity and toughness.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I'm happy with what Neil did.[...]...Not sure what else you want to see?

EK skates of the ice writing in pain and wincing. Cooke gets a facewash. You're fine with that? So if I punch you in the face, which may or may not swell up your eye and cause impaired vision, the worst I should expect from you is maybe a few shoves and you'd be fine with that?

I think you are overthinking it.

The Sens in general dont usually respond well to things like this... Neil is one of the few that normally does respond. He waited till the game was almost over and went at him... Was actually a fairly harmless attempt because Cooke wouldnt give him the chance.

Pretty dissapointing. But I doubt what u wrote happened.

Well, what I wrote was that either MacLean talked to him, or that MacLean didn't have to talk to him because he might trust Neil not to make any emotional reactions. So, SOMETHING happened.

Also I wrote that the officials were talking to Neil between whistles - that really isn't up for debate because you can watch it on GCL.

For the record, there's never an excuse to go out and Bertuzzi someone.

I'm livid with what happened, but not that livid.

I would counter by saying there's no excuse for someone blindsiding a player with a "surgical hit to the head" like Savard or throwing a wild elbow to someone's head like McDonaugh and now jamming your skate down onto someone's Achilles. Why is that acceptable but retribution isn't? Ok, doesn't have to be a neck-breaking incident but can we at least agree SOME form of physical adverse action should be taken?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Neil tried to engage Cooke and he turtled.

What's he supposed to do? Kick him on the ground? Whack him with his stick?

Neil went after him, that's all you can ask for.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm sure I'm missing more, but is there a team out there that owns us more with these long-term injuries the past few years? Ridiculous.

I remember Patrice Bergeron taking out a couple guys for the season (Volchenkov and Varada)?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I just wanted to reiterate my hatred for the Penguins franchise even outside of this Karlsson incident.

- Spezza's back injury finally culminating earlier this season vs Pittsburgh

- Alfredsson injured:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/12/23/sp-nhl-senators-penguins.html

- Donovan injured:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/11/21/senators_donovan_injury/

- Eaves injured:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/sportsblog/2007/04/eaves_injury_reignites_debate.html

I think Alfie was injured twice by the Pens. Spezza got hit by Letang.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Neil tried to engage Cooke and he turtled.

What's he supposed to do? Kick him on the ground? Whack him with his stick?

Neil went after him, that's all you can ask for.

Did you ever see Claude Lemieux after Darren McCarty got a hold of him? Lemieux turtled and McCarty had no problem beating the pulp out of him. If you think just letting other teams walk over Ottawa and depleting their lineup then that's your opinion. I have mine. Instead of making excuses I think something more should have been done.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Get the trainer to soak and freeze the fingers of your spare gloves and switch them just before going after Cooke.

Hey ref you saw that I only poked him to give him a face wash and he dropped like a stone.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
What's the Cooke career toll at? 3?

Lecavalier, Bergeron, and now Karlsson?

Savard, and unfortunately he doesn't get credit for the "potential injuries" he may have caused. For example he very likely could have blown out Ovie's knee:

Interesting remarks from PM trying to decide if it was intentional or not.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
You know I wasn't really sure if this team was soft when the toughness thread started a while back. But after their "response" tonight. I do not see toughness or heart anywhere, just like when adams went after alfie a couple of years ago and they responded 20 min later. Same team with no heart. Its actually surprising, the scrubs in the bottom 6 who are on their way out of the league pretty soon would try and do something to make themselves stand out from the other players by going after cooke but nope. (Neil's heart wasnt in it)

Also when carkner went after boyle to set the tone for game 2 and Ottawa didnt mind losing him or being on the pk for 4 min.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think that in a situation like this, the fact that Neil has never been suspended before speaks volumes about the kind of code he runs by. Also, for all we know they all thought it was an honest mistake. It's not like they check TSN during intermission.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad