Speculation: What was said to Neil during the 2nd intermission

h2

Mar 26, 2002
just like when adams went after alfie a couple of years ago and they responded 20 min later.

Carkner bloodied Adams in a fight and pretty much destroyed his face, I was satisfied with the response back then.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Carkner bloodied Adams in a fight and pretty much destroyed his face, I was satisfied with the response back then.

I was as well but not within that time frame. Its like they had to be told or something :\

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I was as well but not within that time frame. Its like they had to be told or something :\

They didn't know how bad it was and the play itself looked rather harmless - not a headshot or knee-on-knee.
Neil jumped on him 2 minutes after the surgery tweet. Clearly someone came back from the doctors room with the news.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
For the record, there's never an excuse to go out and Bertuzzi someone.

I'm livid with what happened, but not that livid.
Yeah, agree with this. I would have been happy with a devastating body check or something like what happened, but I don't want anyone career in jeopardy. I confess, if Cooke left that game with a bloody nose I wouldn't have minded though...

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Guys, T.O. fan coming in peace.

I respect Neil as a tough guy who can chip in some offense and play a very physical game. What I hate about him is how he picks and chooses his matchups, last night he goes after Despres and Cooke and as soon as Engelland goes looking for it, Neil turns him down.

That's suspect behaviour of a tough guy in my book.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007

I respect Neil as a tough guy who can chip in some offense and play a very physical game. What I hate about him is how he picks and chooses his matchups, last night he goes after Despres and Cooke and as soon as Engelland goes looking for it, Neil turns him down.

Neil will fight anyone... He's fought Chara, Orr, etc

John Holmes*

The bottom line is that Matt Cooke should be in a dentist chair all day getting what's left of his teeth fixed.

Intentional or not, he is a player that hurts other players, and needs to pay the price.

When C. Lemieux turtled against McCarty, that was immediately after he re-arranged Draper's face.

The next time the teams played, Lemieux and McCarty went at it as soon as the puck dropped, and Claude, the weasel that he was, stood in and actually fought.

Somebody should have done something, even if it cost us the game and got someone suspended.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I remember Patrice Bergeron taking out a couple guys for the season (Volchenkov and Varada)?

7 years ago, on a night P. J. Axelsson was dubbed a "Boston Enforcer" a young excited to be playing before the home crowd Patrice Bergeron was in fact for a night a bowling ball...

...though I don't recall the hits being questionably cheap except a phantom knee on Varada?

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
I still can't believe Mario has the balls to keep that asshat on his team. All the whining over the years of Crosby this, Malkin that, and yet he's been paying the biggest piece of **** in the league for how many years now?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Well your book sounds like its written by someone who doesnt know what he's talking about and therefore i have no interest in reading it.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I still can't believe Mario has the balls to keep that asshat on his team. All the whining over the years of Crosby this, Malkin that, and yet he's been paying the biggest piece of **** in the league for how many years now?

Mario "this is a garage league" Lemieux.
it only matters when it happens to his team or him.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Mario is pretty smart. If Cooke is not with the Pens, he may injure his ex-teammates.

Better for the Pens to have Cooke with them than against them.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Yeah, agree with this. I would have been happy with a devastating body check or something like what happened, but I don't want anyone career in jeopardy. I confess, if Cooke left that game with a bloody nose I wouldn't have minded though...

Maybe not a career-ending injury but he should have given Cooke a concussion at the least. I don't like talking about human beings like they're some type of commodity but if Cooke lives by a code where he feels he should be able to administer these "unfortunate incidents" upon other players then I don't understand why he should not receive a few unfortunate incidents himself.

Engelland went after him to try and take him off the ice and protect Cooke. You can't possibly issue an unbiased opinion on Neil given your position.

The bottom line is that Matt Cooke should be in a dentist chair all day getting what's left of his teeth fixed.

Intentional or not, he is a player that hurts other players, and needs to pay the price.

When C. Lemieux turtled against McCarty, that was immediately after he re-arranged Draper's face.

The next time the teams played, Lemieux and McCarty went at it as soon as the puck dropped, and Claude, the weasel that he was, stood in and actually fought.

Somebody should have done something, even if it cost us the game and got someone suspended.

This is so right!

Berserker*

Neil basically did everything he could, within the confines of the rules, to retaliate. He ran the young players on the penguins, went after Crosby and then challenged Cooke to a fight. Neil is a smart player, He knew that if he crossed the line he could potentially hurt the team more than help it. Neil could have got suspended if he decided just to beat the **** out of Cooke. Cooke is a coward though and rarely if ever answers the bell for is actions.

I did love the fact that Neil almost killed Crosby with a hit when Crosby had the puck behind the sens net. Crosby is pretty lucky that he saw Neil coming because he could have got another concussion if Neil smashed him into the boards.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
You know what- Cooke may not have intentionally stepped on Karlsson's back leg but how many times have you seen a player go into the corner to make a similar play with his one foot off the ice? NEVER! Very very careless and Cooke should have some punishment imposed by the league. However, that didn't happen and I guess teams are going to have to look after their own. In days of old, if your best player was injured in such a manner, guess who was targeted from then- their best player. That's where the deterrence was but, unfortunately, that's missing at this point.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The fact that Karlsson got injured in a sensitive spot that may alter his game forever, makes it pretty big enough reason for me to allow the Sens to just **** up their entire team.

If you had a brother and someone broke his arm that's one thing but crippled him for life what would be your response?

Seriously, I wouldn't give a **** if Karlsson was injured anywhere else. His injury can alter his value and progression forever. We are talking about THE BEST PLAYER IN THE ****ING LEAGUE HERE.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
I remember Patrice Bergeron taking out a couple guys for the season (Volchenkov and Varada)?

I'm not disagreeing, but at the same time nobody ever accused Bergeron of being a dirty player.

I have no idea why we aren't allowed to even mention Cooke's history in all of this. If a guy's known as a clean player but has a brain fart and does a dirty play, that clean history works in his favour. now because Cooke's "reformed" we have to turn a blind eye?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad