What UFA should we really go after?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If they do get them at a discounted price, it hurts the tank. Wings need top draft picks, not 29 year olds that will soon be on their inevitable downward spiral in a few years (3 to 5 years) when Detroit is on their upward trend

I think I’ve made my stance on tanking fairly clear. I don’t give a f*** about it. I think the ground work has been laid fairly well, and sure we need a few pieces added, but I feel that 2020-21 is realistically when we should be in the same position that Carolina is sitting in right now. I’m taking an aggressive approach, not a lazy one. I have no interest in building a team like Arizona or Edmonton or Buffalo that has been predicated on the ultra-patient waiting game.

That being said...

Really? Karlsson in a “downward spiral” at the age of 32? My fear with Karlsson is that his contract will be too much for the talent he offers in the final year of his contract, but it’s not because his talent will be severely regressed, it’s just that $10+ million is a hard number to play up to. And that’s what I expect he’s going to sign for.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think I’ve made my stance on tanking fairly clear. I don’t give a **** about it. I think the ground work has been laid fairly well, and sure we need a few pieces added, but I feel that 2020-21 is realistically when we should be in the same position that Carolina is sitting in right now. I’m taking an aggressive approach, not a lazy one. I have no interest in building a team like Arizona or Edmonton or Buffalo that has been predicated on the ultra-patient waiting game.

That being said...

Really? Karlsson in a “downward spiral” at the age of 32? My fear with Karlsson is that his contract will be too much for the talent he offers in the final year of his contract, but it’s not because his talent will be severely regressed, it’s just that $10+ million is a hard number to play up to. And that’s what I expect he’s going to sign for.

He could be. And he could be 12+ million for 7 years with a full NMC. I'd rather have Trouba for age reasons or top 5 drafts for the next few years and hopefully draft our own young "Erik Karlsson", "Drew Doughty" or "Duncan Keith".

Right now the only UFA players KH should be signing is 1 year contracts he can trade at TDL for free draft picks.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
He could be. And he could be 12+ million for 7 years with a full NMC. I'd rather have Trouba for age reasons or top 5 drafts for the next few years and hopefully draft our own young "Erik Karlsson", "Drew Doughty" or "Duncan Keith".

Right now the only UFA players KH should be signing is 1 year contracts he can trade at TDL for free draft picks.

While I understand exactly where you're coming from I don't think it's wise to pass on a talent like EK.
He brings way too much to the table to be scoffed at over being 29. The fear that we are not at a level yet, where introducing a player of his caliber will put us over the top is by no means unfounded. I just think it's worth the risk.
Adding him puts us out of a top 10 pick but not in the playoffs. That's a legitimate concern, but it does put us in a position where adding Trouba and developing our own prospects accelerates a rebuild by years. I take that chance.
Plus EK in theory will be a movable asset that holds value.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If Erik Karlsson is on the market, you try to sign Erik Karlsson

Karlsson is an elite player. He is what you hope to pull from the draft. You don’t sign him no if’s ands or buts, but you don’t ignore the opportunity to add one of the best defensemen in the league who has at least 4-5 good years left.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
While I understand exactly where you're coming from I don't think it's wise to pass on a talent like EK.
He brings way too much to the table to be scoffed at over being 29. The fear that we are not at a level yet, where introducing a player of his caliber will put us over the top is by no means unfounded. I just think it's worth the risk.
Adding him puts us out of a top 10 pick but not in the playoffs. That's a legitimate concern, but it does put us in a position where adding Trouba and developing our own prospects accelerates a rebuild by years. I take that chance.
Plus EK in theory will be a movable asset that holds value.

In theory, yes. But he will hold all the power, and maybe he likes Detroit and wants to raise his family there -- means unmovable. He should not be considered a movable asset even though most teams would like to have him.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
EK would be it..otherwise I’d rather they just fill the team with their own players

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Karlsson was drafted 15th overall, and Keith was drafted 54th overall. I wouldn’t use them as examples for why top 5 drafts are important.

I would expect that he absolutely could see 12 million and a NMC, when you’re a top 5 defender in hockey, you essentially get handed a blank check. There’s nothing that prevents you from signing Karlsson this year, and then double dipping with Trouba the following year, assuming he ends up with a one year QO with Winnipeg. Still a lot of cap that is set to come off the books, including Ericsson, Green, Daley, and Howard.

If I’m building a team to be a playoff contender in 20-21, which I believe is the target, I need to stock pile the roster with talent now. One year of Karlsson and a “rebuild” and then we are going all in with him at age 30...hardly a waste of cap and money.

Reactions: A II R and DInTheB

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006

Karlsson is an elite player. He is what you hope to pull from the draft. You don’t sign him no if’s ands or buts, but you don’t ignore the opportunity to add one of the best defensemen in the league who has at least 4-5 good years left.

That’s where I am at. You deal with years 6-8 when they come.

Don’t worry about one bad year to start the deal. You do this thinking about years 2-5

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Duchene as 1B, behind Larkin 1A. Backup plan is Hayes-2C. Too small a sample size for AA at C this year & Veleno is probably 2+yrs away for 2c role.

Trade/dump/demote/buyout Daley & Big E this offseason. Demote Abby/give him ultimatum to perform or go to GR.

Hirose is our Nyquist.

Larks
?......Duchene/Hayes
Mantha
Bert
AA
Hirose
______Top 6^

**Nielsen (if we fail on Duchene/Hayes & Veleno isn't ready & our 1st isn't ready or not even a C, put him with AA & Hirose, he can take the DZone draws.

Zadina & Veleno??

Helm
LGD....trade while value is high, and/or to clear spot?

Ras
Svech?
______
Ehn
JDLR?
Abby (uggh)

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Karlsson was drafted 15th overall, and Keith was drafted 54th overall. I wouldn’t use them as examples for why top 5 drafts are important.

I would expect that he absolutely could see 12 million and a NMC, when you’re a top 5 defender in hockey, you essentially get handed a blank check. There’s nothing that prevents you from signing Karlsson this year, and then double dipping with Trouba the following year, assuming he ends up with a one year QO with Winnipeg. Still a lot of cap that is set to come off the books, including Ericsson, Green, Daley, and Howard.

If I’m building a team to be a playoff contender in 20-21, which I believe is the target, I need to stock pile the roster with talent now. One year of Karlsson and a “rebuild” and then we are going all in with him at age 30...hardly a waste of cap and money.

Wasn't talking about where they were drafted, but the level of players they are. I think Dobson is the next "Suter" at 12th overall. Still surprised he dropped. But when Zadina drops to you, you have to nab him. He's who I wanted in 2018 and had no expectations of ever getting close enough to sniff... and he just falls in our laps! Dobson was the kid I realistically wanted. But you can't have both.

And I think the rebuild is designed to be finished 2023 unless Wings get extra lucky in the lottery(s).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Also, how long does it take for a blueliner to really hit their stride in the NHL? Do we have enough faith in Cholo and/or Hronek to be that top pair guy we lean on in all of the high pressure situations? If we haven't drafted that guy yet, and assuming we don't hit on the next Dahlin, we're probably looking at a guy taking ~5 years to hit his stride. That puts Mantha, AA, and Bertuzzi at 29, and Larkin at 27. Technically still young enough to contend, but we're now hitting the outside edge of that window, imo.

So, yeah, we go after Karlsson. And look long and hard at Myers and Gardiner. Next year we look at whoever the top guys are hitting the market then, too.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Wasn't talking about where they were drafted, but the level of players they are. I think Dobson is the next "Suter" at 12th overall. Still surprised he dropped. But when Zadina drops to you, you have to nab him. He's who I wanted in 2018 and had no expectations of ever getting close enough to sniff... and he just falls in our laps! Dobson was the kid I realistically wanted. But you can't have both.

And I think the rebuild is designed to be finished 2023 unless Wings get extra lucky in the lottery(s).

I wanted Dobson too, I think I was one of the first to really shift my attention to him from the trio of Bouchard, Hughes, and Boqvist.

I guess the rebuild is the sticking point and what you consider part of it. To me, rebuild stops when the focus shifts to competing for the playoffs. I think Blashill’s contract illustrates the timeline of the rebuild, as I mentioned in that thread. He basically has 2 years and 2 drafts to get this team to the playoffs, or prove that he will.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Basically, there is not ever a reason to not offer an elite D or elite C that hits the market.

I don’t care if I’m Ottawa level and have NOTHING. If I can sign Erik Karlsson, then I have more elite pieces than most of the league.

I mean, if you hit the ****ing jackpot and get Connor McDavid, you get three years and then you’re paying him more than the proven elite talent that is on the market. And I’d rather give Karlsson 12M than Nyquist 6 and Gardiner 6.

Reactions: RedMenace

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
In theory, yes. But he will hold all the power, and maybe he likes Detroit and wants to raise his family there -- means unmovable. He should not be considered a movable asset even though most teams would like to have him.

Yeah, that's a fair point.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
If they do get them at a discounted price, it hurts the tank. Wings need top draft picks, not 29 year olds that will soon be on their inevitable downward spiral in a few years (3 to 5 years) when Detroit is on their upward trend
Lidstrom was what, 38 when we last won the cup? 39 when we hit the finals again? And at 42, when he retired, he left a very visible hole on the team...

There's always risk but there is also risk with Trouba and whomever else you can sign, ever... And yeah, Karlsson is a game changer and not taking that chance because of??? You might as well wait til hell freezes over...

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
If I'm EK I'm going to a team in position to win a cup.

Definitely not signing in Detroit.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018

I agree that our chances of signing him are slim, but until he's locked up elsewhere I like to dream.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Duchene is beyond horrible. No reason to sign him. There's also no chance he signs in Detroit to be a second-line center.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Teams in a position to win the cup with cap space to sign EK as well as being destinations he likes could be a very limited number. I doubt Wings are his top choice but I wouldn’t completely rule it out.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

MeLoveRedWings

Mar 30, 2019
Obviously Erik Karlsson, even with injury concerns, is way too good to pass up. And I am not his biggest backer. If he chose to come here, I would be quite excited.

Depending on the outcome of the draft, I would consider going after Matt Duchene, if we end up drafting a wing or defenseman in the first. Duchene and Larkin could have our #1 and #2 center spots set for quite some time. That said, if we draft Hughes, then save that money for someone else.

Panarin is a great talent, but I would only want to pay for that upgrade in talent on the wing if we could find a trade partner to turn some of our current wingers into some defensive talent.

Myers and Gardiner would make our defense better, although I will be very critical of the term and amount on any deal with them. Depending on the $ and term signing one of these guys will either look amazing or terrible.

Failing one or two of those guys, we probably do need a plug or two on one-year contracts given how many of our players were injured this year. Not a popular opinion, I know. I want the kids to get the time to develop on the ice in the NHL, but when you dress 15 different defensemen including Lashoff, Chelios, Sulak, McIlrath, and Witkowski, you could probably use a more dependable veteran addition. Given how it went this year, it might make more sense to start the season with a veteran plug, rather than having Hicketts or someone as the #7. It's another piece to trade at the deadline as well. On offense DLR, Ehn, Frk, Kuffner, etc. are all fine enough, but not worth keeping a spot open for. You don't pass on signing someone decent to make sure there is a spot for these types of players. If there is someone that we identify as providing an element we lack, especially if they are willing to sign for 1 year, then get them. Not sure who fits that bill, but if we find them, I will not be as disappointed as I am sure many others will be with a veteran signing.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad