What UFA should we really go after?

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I get it for sure.

But my mind goes to places like.... EK this year, Trouba next year... Then I see Yzerman being handed a cup by the team as GM... tears well up, I get emotional... lmao

Wouldn't that be something else but with the way our luck is going, two of those would happen and then EK would get a career ending surgery or something messed up like that

Reactions: Mister Bungle

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I wasn't talking offer-sheet there, though I have in the past. I would be okay with it if we have landed Hughes and we don't think the Jets will match. Even when I have proposed it in the past it is always as a two year deal to make it tough for the Jets to match.

I just worry about sitting around waiting a whole year for that answer. What if he gets dealt at the draft and likes the new place? What if we sit around for two years waiting on this kind of like when the rumors were swirling that Suter wanted to be a Wings player and when he became a free agent he would be ours. That isn't an experience I am running head long towards again is all I am saying this lets just wait for Trouba to pick us might not happen and what are we doing in 2020 when we strike out there...

The Jets will have better offers if they openly shop him than what we can come up with, heck even as a one year rental he easily commands well over second round picks.

But again I find some of this thread premature. I mean it is good to have an idea of what players we like and all of that, but if the lottery smiles on us on Tuesday it certainly will shift the aggression of the front office in my opinion. There are a few more things to fall before we really get a clear picture on what we should be chasing. When we are drafting where we are drafting now, you can anticipate them getting here quicker and how they fit that picture a little clearer in my opinion.

Even with a Hughes, I think going after Karlsson would be a poor use of resources. He's likely peaked, so dollar to production won't make sense. Add to that there is new CBA coming up, that could see another cap reset, right when a lot of Detroit's younger players will need new contracts, it scares me throwing the bank at a guy when there are already red flags.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Karlsson by far,failing that Panarin

other than that i'd rather just stand pat but i'm sure Holland will spend all the money on something I just hope it's nothing super bad

Same here, I'm not interested in any middle of the road UFA's except maybe Nyquist on a good deal, but thats more so because I like him and would love to have him here when we are good again.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Even with a Hughes, I think going after Karlsson would be a poor use of resources. He's likely peaked, so dollar to production won't make sense. Add to that there is new CBA coming up, that could see another cap reset, right when a lot of Detroit's younger players will need new contracts, it scares me throwing the bank at a guy when there are already red flags.

Depends on how you look at that, nobody is really anticipating the cap going down from what I have read.

To be fair we are looking for it to go down if it is a reason to allow us to buyout Abdelkader, I would like just about anything in the next CBA if it allowed us one amnesty buyout.:laugh:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I get that, our doctors will have a pretty good look at that stuff though if we are signing him and he is given the green light I am on board with signing a franchise D-man. We need one of those badly and I am willing to gamble on a star player and also important there one that I like watching play the game every night, he is a butt in your building and watching your broadcast kind of star player.

Were these doctors absent the day Stephan Weiss signed?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Were these doctors absent the day Stephan Weiss signed?

Weiss career was derailed by his groin and sports hernia surgery that he unfortunately tried to play through.

I am sure we will find out more one day, but the big concern on his wrist wasn't ultimately what undid him.

I won't be critical of the Karlsson signing if he unexpectedly blows his back and our doctors were okay with his legs.

Reactions: ricky0034

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Weiss career was derailed by his groin and sports hernia surgery that he unfortunately tried to play through.

I am sure we will find out more one day, but the big concern on his wrist wasn't ultimately what undid him.

I won't be critical of the Karlsson signing if he unexpectedly blows his back and our doctors were okay with his legs.

These doctors allowed Weiss to play through groin and sports hernia after surgery that inevitably ended his career? Doesn't seem much better.

As for Karlsson, fine hockey player but his age doesn't fit into our timeline. People already don't want Kronwall and he just turned 38 four months ago. And these people wanted him to LTIR like 2 years ago. No one should expect Karlsson to be the same player at 33/35 as the player at 29. He's got a few more elite years (during Detroit's tanking years) and will eventually trend down when the team is trying to trend up.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
These doctors allowed Weiss to play through groin and sports hernia after surgery that inevitably ended his career?

Dude, what do you want TZE to say? That medical doctors can't predict sports injuries with perfect precision? I think he'll admit that.

He's saying that, if based on the evidence provided, his health looks good... you sign him. That doesn't mean he'll be healthy forever and be injury free for life. It's hockey, so it's unlikely. It means you're making your best guess based on evidence. Evidence that you haven't seen and are making accusations about the incompetence of the medical staff [ MOD ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Dude, what do you want TZE to say? That medical doctors can't predict sports injuries with perfect precision? I think he'll admit that.

He's saying that, if based on the evidence provided, his health looks good... you sign him. That doesn't mean he'll be healthy forever and be injury free for life. It's hockey, so it's unlikely. It means you're making your best guess based on evidence. Evidence that you haven't seen and are making accusations about the incompetence of the medical staff .

Read my entire post MOD

It's not even about health, but age. Derp..............

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’d stand pat if I can’t get Karlsson...or Gardiner at a discounted price.

The thing the Wings need isn’t really available on the UFA market, and honestly the best fit for our needs might have been achieved by signing Hirose out of college. We need more creative playmaking types, and Hirose has proven he can play at the NHL level over his audition period, plus his age and cost fit in phenomenally.

If my choice is signing Hayes, knowing there’s likely nobody moving out of the lineup, or using whatever his roster space would be to give us flexibility for someone like Svechnikov or Veleno or Hughes/Kakko, I would take the latter.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I’d stand pat if I can’t get Karlsson...or Gardiner at a discounted price.

The thing the Wings need isn’t really available on the UFA market, and honestly the best fit for our needs might have been achieved by signing Hirose out of college. We need more creative playmaking types, and Hirose has proven he can play at the NHL level over his audition period, plus his age and cost fit in phenomenally.

If my choice is signing Hayes, knowing there’s likely nobody moving out of the lineup, or using whatever his roster space would be to give us flexibility for someone like Svechnikov or Veleno or Hughes/Kakko, I would take the latter.

If they do get them at a discounted price, it hurts the tank. Wings need top draft picks, not 29 year olds that will soon be on their inevitable downward spiral in a few years (3 to 5 years) when Detroit is on their upward trend

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Read my entire post MOD

I read your post. Both of them. The ones where you talked about how the doctors screwed up with Weiss so clearly their judgement can't be trusted.

So that's strange, if it's not about health, why did you bring that up? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Reactions: Fynn

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Read my entire post MOD

So we shouldn't have talked Lidstrom out of heading back to Sweden because he was approaching 30... I wouldn't take Crosby or Ovie on our team because of age. We should have put two behind Stevie's left ear after he blew out his back in the mid 90's and with a knee injury already no less. Star players tend to play longer and be effective longer because and this isn't shocking they are better than 95% of the league for most of their career and see and process the game better than their peers. Karlsson is a star player, do I think he makes 35 years old and is still a good hockey player, yes personally I do.

But nobody knows the future, our doctors will look over his current health, that is the best we can do. Now they getting progressively better at this in terms of the medical fields evolving all the time. Weiss ultimate injuries very well could have been clean on his July 1st physicals and been training camp issues for all we know, he admitted to trying to play through them and not really fully disclosing the nature of his discomfort to our doctors. He felt obligated because of the contract. It is a situation gone bad, but we cannot mothball the future because something bad has happened in the past.

I am not going to put an arbitrary age number on ever player. He isn't power forward and he doesn't play a type of game where we can expect that kind of regression and if you were really worried about it, play him 23 minutes a night instead of the 28 he has been playing. I know that I will be elated if Karlsson choose us, I doubt he will, but this guy is a franchise player and superstar performer we need more talent, so yeah I am not turning down Karlsson because he is 29. Sign him and slap an A on his chest and enjoy that our games are 1,000 times more enjoyable next year to watch.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Karlsson is a star player, do I think he makes 35 years old and is still a good hockey player, yes personally I do.

In addition: Star players elevate teammates and attract other star players.

Karlsson makes a team a more attractive FA destination. He makes people want to waive a NTC to join the team. He's going to make anyone on the ice with him look better and raise their game. That's what star players do and why they are so valuable.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I read your post. Both of them. The ones where you talked about how the doctors screwed up with Weiss so clearly their judgement can't be trusted.

So that's strange, if it's not about health, why did you bring that up? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

MOD

But sure, health "could" be a factor when a player with history of surgery will be pushing 34/35 yrs old by the time Detroit is back on the upswing. Or by that time Karsson could just naturally be on the downswing like most other aging player. The league is getting younger each season. Wings are still rebuilding. Makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever to sign aging vets to contracts that will likely be very long and very expensive with NMCs stuck to them during rebuilding years.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
So we shouldn't have talked Lidstrom out of heading back to Sweden because he was approaching 30... I wouldn't take Crosby or Ovie on our team because of age. We should have put two behind Stevie's left ear after he blew out his back in the mid 90's and with a knee injury already no less. Star players tend to play longer and be effective longer because and this isn't shocking they are better than 95% of the league for most of their career and see and process the game better than their peers. Karlsson is a star player, do I think he makes 35 years old and is still a good hockey player, yes personally I do.

But nobody knows the future, our doctors will look over his current health, that is the best we can do. Now they getting progressively better at this in terms of the medical fields evolving all the time. Weiss ultimate injuries very well could have been clean on his July 1st physicals and been training camp issues for all we know, he admitted to trying to play through them and not really fully disclosing the nature of his discomfort to our doctors. He felt obligated because of the contract. It is a situation gone bad, but we cannot mothball the future because something bad has happened in the past.

I am not going to put an arbitrary age number on ever player. He isn't power forward and he doesn't play a type of game where we can expect that kind of regression and if you were really worried about it, play him 23 minutes a night instead of the 28 he has been playing. I know that I will be elated if Karlsson choose us, I doubt he will, but this guy is a franchise player and superstar performer we need more talent, so yeah I am not turning down Karlsson because he is 29. Sign him and slap an A on his chest and enjoy that our games are 1,000 times more enjoyable next year to watch.

None of this applies to a team in the early stage/to middle of a rebuild. If I'm Karlsson, I'd go to a contender or soon to be contender. Not a rebuilding team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad