What Type of Player Do You Describe Yourself As?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
A less talented, less polished version of Martin Havlat or Peter Forsberg. Strong on the puck, aggressive with very good speed. I shoot more than Forsberg and I can play keep away while I wait for something to open up. I like to hang a little bit to take off if the puck comes loose and I love carrying the puck in open ice. I'll go 1v1 with anyone on the ice, and if there's enough room I'll go 1v2 to try and get the puck deep or get an opportunity. I take about 70% of my shots from the hash marks or deeper and the rest probably come exclusively from the tops of the circles. I feel like I can pick my spots with ease, but I have no slap shot to speak of. I don't have any really fancy stickhandling moves that I pull against defenders, but I have a very deep bag of breakaway moves and dekes I'll pull in close on the goalie. I end up neglecting to watch where I am when going for the puck and usually pay the price for it, physically, a couple of times per night. I guess there's an element of Tim Conolly, keeping my head down.

When I play pick up hockey, however, I look like Malkin did at the youngstars game... except sometimes I score :D

Spectaculard

What am I a fruit?
Jan 25, 2007
Montreal
Im a speedy player that posses above average puck handling skills. I like to keep the puck maybe a little more than I should. I can make a good crisp pass and have an above average wrister. My slapper isnt too bad either. My play reminds me of Kovalev, as in I keep the puck alot to myself and try to deke out an opponent, BUT, if and when I lose the puck to an opposing player, (which happens alot) I never give up on the play. I battle hard for the puck.

My defensive abilities leave alot to be desired though....

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Now I play some pickup on the outdoor ice by my house...

And I am Ian Moran :/

Bad defensive plays when I play defense, and I deke out myself and fall on my ass on offense.

I am pretty good with the stick and have a good wristshot.

Question... Are $20 skates better to use when playing for fun than high quality goalie skates?

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
I'm a hybrid goalie. Not so much like Brodeur, though. I'm a hybrid in that I'll make saves from a standing position, full butterfly, or the half-butterfly. I'm also rather aggressive. If you're in my line of sight and not on my team, expect my stick to be jammed into the back of your knee a short time later. Or if you're close enough, expect to be looking up at the rafters. And I have been known to slide tackle players on breakaways. I swear, I'm going for the puck.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I would say im a lot like Pavel Datsyuk. Ive got good hands and a good wrist shot, don't have great speed but i get where i need to be.

felixno44

Jul 5, 2005
surrey, bc
i always wonder why people say "i try to play like X", "i try to be like X as much as possible".
how do you guys approach this ? do you model your style of play after a certain player you like or did you "create" your own style and then compare it to a certain player ?

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Igor Ulanov,

I play in a pretty decent rec league but my skills have eroded big time. Haven't played since Christmas but am about to jump into a playoff game tonight. I doubt I'll venture much past the red line.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
I am a combination of Wade Belak/Johnny Bower/Matt Stajan
Yes very weird combination but I'm a team player I'll do anything for my team block shot, play d, center, or wing, take big hits to make the play not worry about my body just worry about the pass. I have good speed and play a pretty solid defensive game. VERY STREAKY offensively. Ill get 3 2 goal games in a row then won’t score for a month.

Nov 28, 2006
Back when I played even somewhat competitive Hockey I could be a great all around defenseman or a playmaking, somewhat scoring power forward. I could hit, shoot, had great vision and sense of the game. My skating was mediocre. Kind of like a toned down Wendel Clark without much fighting.

Michael Scofield

Feb 1, 2007
Gatineau
Im captain for my team i play right wing. my coach says im like a Dany Heatley kinda player, aggressive to the puck, strong and good snap and slap shot

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
I didn't start playing hockey until I was 33. Needless to say I'm not very good. I play my best when I'm at center as I tend to "wander" which is actually a good thing if you're a center. My stickhandling is terrible and I'm jsut now getting to the point where i have a decent wrist shot. Actually it just showed up out of the blue about a month ago. I don't know what I'm doing different but I'll take.

I play my best in the corners scrumming for the puck and am willng to push and shove etc. I also do my best to create screens in front of the goalie and p!ss off the opposing D. If I'm getting knocked around after the whistle I know I've done something good. :naughty: Finally, I block shots as much as I can. I rememebr one time right in front of my bench I went sliding in fornt of the point man and the shot hit hard off my cage and bounced into the neutral zone. You should have heard the guys on the bench; they thought I was nuts. I also have a bad habit of about once a year thinking I'm playing baseball and blocking a shot with an open hand, OUCH! :cry: Everytime I do that I tell my wife to remind never to do that again. She just shakes her head and says "That's what you told me last time you did that." The last time I did that the entire base of my thumb, thumb and about three inches into my arm bruised up. Luckily I blocked it with the meat/base of my thumb vs. the thumb itself. Maybe I'll elarn one of these days.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'd call myself a Nevin Markwart early on (small but fearless with some toughness but no skill)

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
It depends on what league I'm playing in.

In the intermediate league I'm a power forward because even though I'm short I'm stocky and strong on my skates.

In the advanced league I play in I'm more of a defensive forward backchecking and going hard to the net trying to score garbage goals. I've never been much of a playmaker but I can put the puck in the net occasionally.

colton23

Sep 10, 2006
Pavel datsyuk just smaller fast sniper wrist shot soft hands and great passing ability works pretty good so far in my leage i have amassed 9g 7a 14p in 4 games:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad