Speculation: What top 4D could Anders Lee return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
What other conclusion can one draw from you saying that you can't compare his shooting percentage to anyone since 1967? I'm honestly curious, not trying to be an ass. I must not be understanding your stance on this issue apparently.
maybe just maybe you compare him to players who played the same style like tim kerr and not all players since 1967

you dont compare 7'5" inch basketball players to 5'10" ones do you?

only fools with an agenda like easton do that

i guarantee Lee will have a higher shooting percentage that Tarasenko next year, that doesnt make Tarasenko bad or worse, it just means they play different games and shouldnt be compared

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson. If you want to split hairs, Carter was coming off a 36 goal season, but that's as close to 40 as you can get (he scored 46 and 33 goals, respectively, the two seasons prior to that one as well). And Jeff Carter is a better all around player than Lee.

So I'll ask you the same question I asked Crew: if those guys aren't worth Lee, then exactly who do you think you can land with Lee? A guy like Scandella's a little on the low side (not enough offensive upside), but Gardiner, Klefbom and Brodie are exactly the type of defenseman Lee is worth. They're all good two-way #2/#3 defensemen.
Sid all due respect, because you know I respect you as much as anyone

there were other factors at play in that trade, Carter wanted no part of columbus and Jack was still at the time a highly regarded top 5 pick and it wasnt just carter for johnson. it was Jack Johnson and a first-round draft pick in either 2012 or 2013.

The Dark Blue Jacket: Why We Boo Jeff Carter

Jeff Carter on why things didn’t work out with Columbus Blue Jackets

but to answer your question, my honest answer is I dont know. I cant be more honest than that. I think in all honesty its a needs trade, if one team like Columbus needed consistent scoring and they have 2 very strong defenders like Jones and Werenski, I could see a match. but at the same time I could totally see Blue Jackets fans saying heck no and I wouldnt blame them. not at all.

those Defensement you names are good defenseman but lee isnt a good finisher, hes an elite finisher

I just see Lee as a specialty forward like Tim Kerr in his day

its hard to compare him to regular forwards because his game is totally different from the typical forward, lee is a finisher, not a playmaker why try and compare him to something he is not

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
BECAUSE it obviously is. as soon as you brought up tkachuk i knew it was all a set up to defend Tarasenko, but now i learned, I thought you were more fair minded than you obviously are

a sophmore slump has nothing to do with age. it has to do with regressing to the mean and teams adjusting to a player. it doesnt mater whether your 19 or 49 if you come up at any age you can have success because no one knows you, but once you are known they get to know youre strengths, so you have to adjust thats a sophmore slump and that can happen at any age regardless of how old you are

because adjustments are made on any player

second to teach you something you obviously are clueless about, jerry west widely considered the best shooter in nba history had a career shooting percentage of .474. Shaquille Oneal , has a 582 career shooting percentage and it got better into his late 30s but he wasnt considered a "great Shooter"

why because O'neal like Lee does most of his work in close, so guess what he is likely to keep his higher percentage. Tim Kerr, the closest comparable to Anders Lee in style of play had 5 seasons with a shooting percentage over 20% and a career shooting percentage of 19.4 and like lee he didnt get an early start either

unfortunately he took a beating for it and had to retire early due to the beating he took like bossy but youre entire argument is ****, Lees shot percentage is a function of his style of play just like Shaquille O'neals and Kerrs was was playing in tight close to the goal or the rim depending on the sport. in fact odds say Lees shooting percentage may even go higher

Tarasenko on the other hand has seen his shot percentage fall every single year since he was 22 ans will likely never return to what is was his first season because teams adjusted to him

ive lost all respect i had for you because you didnt even recognize the obvious
None of my posts have anything to do with defending Tarasenko. Feel free to quote one single line from any of them that suggests otherwise.

You defend his "sophomore slump," something you introduced into this discussion, by saying "it has to do with regressing to the mean" which "can happen at any age regardless of how old you are," and then seconds later argue that his shooting percentage the last two years is sustainable (i.e. that it won't regress) because of where he takes most of his shots...even though he's obviously shooting from the same places that he did two seasons ago when he shot 8%.

You also argue that stats related to Tkachuk are completely irrelevant because they're from "a different era," then turn around and support Lee's ability to sustain a high shooting percentage by likening him to Tim Kerr (who played even further back in history than Tkachuk), citing his shooting percentages (a stat from a different era) and style (Tkachuk played the same style) as justifications.

You're even willing to cite basketball statistics from the mid-90s through the 2000s (not to mention West in the 60s/70s) as relevant supports for your argument...apparently somehow more relevant to this conversation than any of the hockey statistics I've cited, including those from the same mid-90s through 2000s time frame, from a player of the same style as Lee.

Do you not see all the inconsistencies here? They are absolutely glaring.

This is not a productive conversation with regards to Lee, and since you have repeatedly said my "argument is ****," you have made it clear that you have no interest in what I have to say, you continually (and unfairly) question my motivations, you continually take personal shots at me (calling me clueless, etc.), and your arguments in support of Lee and criticisms of my arguments seem to be based on two wildly incompatible sets of rules, I'm pretty sure I'm done wasting my time with it.

I wish that I could say that this exchange had been pleasant...but it wasn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluenotes27

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
None of my posts have anything to do with defending Tarasenko. Quote one single line from any of them that suggests otherwise. I'll wait.

You defend his "sophomore slump," something you introduced into this discussion, by saying "it has to do with regressing to the mean" which "can happen at any age regardless of how old you are," and then seconds later argue that his shooting percentage the last two years is sustainable (i.e. that it won't regress) because of where he takes most of his shots...even though he's obviously shooting from the same places that he did two seasons ago when he shot 8%.

You also argue that stats related to Tkachuk are completely irrelevant because they're from "a different era," then turn around and support Lee's ability to sustain a high shooting percentage by likening him to Tim Kerr (who played even further back in history than Tkachuk), citing his shooting percentages (a stat from a different era) and style (Tkachuk played the same style).

You're even willing to cite basketball statistics from the mid-90s through the 2000s (not to mention West in the 60s/70s) as relevant supports for your argument...apparently somehow more relevant to this conversation than hockey statistics I've cited, from the same recent time frame, from a player of the same style as Lee.

Do you not see all the inconsistencies here? They are absolutely glaring.

This is not a productive conversation with regards to Lee, and since you have repeatedly said my argument is ****, you have made it clear that you have no interest in what I have to say, and since your own comments are all over the map, I'm pretty sure I'm done wasting my time with it.

I wish that I could say that this exchange was pleasant, but it wasn't.

it wasnt because you had an agenda, I'll be brutally honest here, I lost someone I looked up to, for as long as id been here I saw you as one of the elite posters on this site. Im not ashamed to admit it because, honestly you had earned the admiration, but what I saw in your post was a systematic tear down of a player you dont understand at all, He is not a typical forward, at what he does he is elite. Lee to be honest isnt even asked to do the things that your typical forwards do, he's not a playmaker or a sniper, he rarely digs in the corners or helps with zone entry. his one job is to finish and to distract the goalie and he does that very very well.

thats why your "all the way back to 1967 was so disingenuous because it had nothing to do with understanding the player, which you clearly do not.even hinting at shot percentages being unsustainable proves beyond any reasonable doubt that you didnt understand what you were talking about.

Lee will have a better Shot percentage than Tarasenko next year, its not because Lee is better, but because its a function of the STYLE OF GAME they play

you crafted an argument that showed no understanding of the player none. thats why I brought up Tim Kerr, to show you how his shooting percentages were also outside of the typical shot percentages for the typical forward, because he too played a specialty forward role

Im sorry you were uncomfortable. I was too. I dont much like losing 0one of my heroes either. to be fair maybe i shouldnt have expected more of you, but sadly I did, you had no real reason to feel threatened for Tarasenko because they are nothing alike

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
it wasnt because you had an agenda, I'll be brutally honest here, I lost someone I looked up to, for as long as id been here I saw you as one of the elite posters on this site. Im not ashamed to admit it because, honestly you had earned the admiration, but what I saw in your post was a systematic tear down of a player you dont understand at all, He is not a typical forward, at what he does he is elite. Lee to be honest isnt even asked to do the things that your typical forwards do, he's not a playmaker or a sniper, he rarely digs in the corners or helps with zone entry. his one job is to finish and to distract the goalie and he does that very very well.

thats why your "all the way back to 1967 was so disingenuous because it had nothing to do with understanding the player, which you clearly do not.even hinting at shot percentages being unsustainable proves beyond any reasonable doubt that you didnt understand what you were talking about.

Lee will have a better Shot percentage than Tarasenko next year, its not because Lee is better, but because its a function of the STYLE OF GAME they play

you crafted an argument that showed no understanding of the player none. thats why I brought up Tim Kerr, to show you how his shooting percentages were also outside of the typical shot percentages for the typical forward, because he too played a specialty forward role

Im sorry you were uncomfortable. I was too. I dont much like losing a hero either
1) I didn't "systematically tear Lee down." I discussed the likelihood of him sustaining what he's accomplished the last couple of years. Those are not the same thing.

2) You seem to have a very basic misunderstanding of what I was trying to accomplish.

When you're looking to establish the likelihood of something happening based upon regression, you compare it to the biggest sample of players possible...not to a hand-picked sample size of one. That's basic stats.

The original post discussed all players from 1967 on (including Tim Kerr), and separately all currently active players, to make sure that every single comparable player to Lee in either group was included. There are far more players who have made their living that way than just Lee, and Kerr, and Tkachuk. We want all of them to be included in this discussion to get the best idea of what's likely to happen, not just one or two cherry-picked cases, because if they're included and their shooting percentage was also very high relative to their peers, that will show up somehow in the resulting analysis. If, for example, the upper range of shooting percentages is dominated by net front guys, we'll be able to observe that. If it isn't, we'll be able to observe that as well.

Your chosen method excludes every single player like Lee but Kerr. This is not better. Meaningful statistical analysis is done with big sample sizes, not cherry-picked small/singluar ones, and (in spite of you are implying), a lot of people in the NHL have made (and continue to make) their living primarily in front of the net.

Of the 1264 players since 1967 who have at least 70 career goals and 160 games played (which includes Kerr, Tkachuk, Lee, and anyone else over that span who has played like them), only 29 have a career shooting percentage at or above 18.5%...that's 2% of all those players. Here's the complete list: Warren Young, Craig Simpson, Charlie Simmer, Sergei Makarov, Paul MacLean, Mike Bossy, Yvon Lambert, Rick Middleton, Blake Stoughton, Rob Brown, Darryl Sutter, Mike Ridley, Steve Vickers, Tom McCarthy, Kent Nillson, John Bucyk, Jarri Kurri, Mark Pavelich, Marian Stastny, Mario Lemieux, Peter Stastny, Ray Ferraro, Mark Hunter, Stan Jonathan, Tim Kerr, Mikko Makela, Peter McNabb, Alex Tanguay, and Mats Naslund.

You'll notice that the list has its share of net front guys, but it is not dominated by that group. You'll also notice that a lot of really talented net front guys did not make that list. Being an outstanding net front guy may reasonably be expected to give you an inside track to an above average shooting percentage, perhaps even well above average, but there's a vast difference between that reasonable notion and believing it can propel him to heights not sustained by any of his peers.

Of all the players meeting the inclusion criteria, including all the net front guys, 97% had a career shooting percentage below 18%, 94% had a career shooting percentage below 17%, 90% had a shooting percentage below 16%, and 84% had a shooting percentage below 15%. (The upper shooting percentage ranges are not dominated by net front players.) Those are descriptive statistics that clearly indicate how hard it is to sustain a high shooting percentage. They guarantee nothing. They only provide context, but the sample size is large and the context is pretty strong.

I knew that the high end of the list was disproportionally populated by historic players after reviewing it, so I included a listing of only active players as well. Of the 293 active players with 70+ goals and 160+ games played, zero have a career shooting percentage at or above 18.5%, and only 1 player (0.0035% of the group) is even above 17%...and 98% of the group is below 15%, including Lee himself.

Every single active net front player with any degree of longevity and scoring touch is included in that group, and Lee is most certainly not the only player in that group who excels at making his living in front of the net. Not one of them has set a precedent for being able to accomplish what you think Lee will accomplish.

It's clearly harder to sustain a high shooting percentage now than it has been historically. Lee sustaining an 18.5% shooting percentage would literally make him one of a kind among active players, regardless of what style of game they play, and it would place him in rarefied air even among a larger historical sample.

Once again, maybe he does it, but it does not seem like a good bet to take given the anticipated contractual stakes, for fairly obvious reasons (IMO).

This is not a disingenuous approach, in spite of your insistence to the contrary. This is a far less biased and more empirically reasonable approach to this question than trying to claim one hand-picked historical example that happens to "confirm" your belief as some sort of precedent setting case study, or as supporting evidence of significant weight...especially when there are a large number of easy counter-example case studies that contradict the claim, one of which I've already presented (and which you subsequently dismissed as irrelevant, in spite of sticking with your Kerr comparison as the foundation for your argument).

You continue to claim that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm fairly certain the misunderstanding is not mine.

Last edited:

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
My point was that when Boyes came to blues he was lifted by the phenomenal play of paul kariya then when kariya got injured or he went to abother team his numbers came back to earth. I am stating this is a similar situation on top of that he is 27 and soothing 30% or higher. we will see how well he plays with out jt.

I might add in 16-17 of Lee's 34 goals, Tavares had 3 primary assists. In 17-18 of those 40 goals Tavares had 13 but the majority of those primary assists were rebounds that Lee buried. Interesting, Lee has over 10 more primary assists to JT goals than JT to Lee over this time period. I like his odds of scoring if playing without JT and his shot totals will likely increase as JT likes to finish as well.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lol dumbest post I've seen. Suddenly Duncan Keith is not good enough for a waiver pickup because he isn't a Norris and Conn smythe dman anymore?

Continue to enjoy to isles dumpster fire
What part of I want no part of 34 yr old Keith's god awful contract, goes over your head?

Enjoy being in caphell with your declining,aging star and his s***** contract.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I might add in 16-17 of Lee's 34 goals, Tavares had 3 primary assists. In 17-18 of those 40 goals Tavares had 13 but the majority of those primary assists were rebounds that Lee buried. Interesting, Lee has over 10 more primary assists to JT goals than JT to Lee over this time period. I like his odds of scoring if playing without JT and his shot totals will likely increase as JT likes to finish as well.

Interesting stats. Really contradicts the claim from Lee critics that Tavares is carrying Lee.

If the isles had their blueline in order, I would not even want to consider a Lee trade, but if the isles are getting a quality defender, they will have to offer up something of quality in return.
Guys like Nelson are not going to be enough.

Reactions: sebsisles

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Interesting stats. Really contradicts the claim from Lee critics that Tavares is carrying Lee.

If the isles had their blueline in order, I would not even want to consider a Lee trade, but if the isles are getting a quality defender, they will have to offer up something of quality in return.
Guys like Nelson are not going to be enough.
he stated primary assists how about secondary assists or the fact that JT puck control, zone management allows lee to set up. There are so many variables that unless you account for them all your just guessing. But its all mute point with Eastons argument.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
he stated primary assists how about secondary assists or the fact that JT puck control, zone management allows lee to set up. There are so many variables that unless you account for them all your just guessing. But its all mute point with Eastons argument.

Is this singles tennis or hockey, where line mates are there to help each other produce?
If Tavares leaves, the isles have a terrific 20 yr old playmaker in Barzal to slide onto Lee's line.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You should quit while you're ahead because you're beating your head against a blue and orange wall.

Just like you spent all of last summer "predicting" Barzal would be a bust in the NHL? Boy, you were right and I was wrong about that one. Yet after being completely embarrassed by Colorado fans and their "lol Barzal's gonna suck in the future" predictions, I still haven't learned my lesson when Blues fans decide out of the blue (pun intended!) to go on a weird "lol Lee's gonna suck in the future" tirade.

I mean, I actually said Barzal was a bluechip prospect with a bright NHL future! Why on earth would anyone take what I've said seriously?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
lol dumbest post ive ever seen. You just called a 40 goal scorer a waiver pick up. Really stupid ****ing comment. Lee is a top 10 goal scorer in this league people. Deal with it
You clearly can't read. I was quoting the other guy who said Keith isn't even worth a waiver claim, not lee

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
What part of I want no part of 34 yr old Keith's god awful contract, goes over your head?

Enjoy being in caphell with your declining,aging star and his s***** contract.
Enjoy the dumpster fire team that has never accomplished anything, but good to know you can knock down Norris and Conn smythe winning dmen because he's older than you would like him to be and acting like he is 40

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Enjoy the dumpster fire team that has never accomplished anything, but good to know you can knock down Norris and Conn smythe winning dmen because he's older than you would like him to be and acting like he is 40
Want some cheese with that whine?
No one is giving up a 27 yr old, 40 goal scorer+ a top 12 pick for Keith and that awful contract . He would likely pass thru waivers. Deal with it.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Want some cheese with that whine?
No one is giving up a 27 yr old, 40 goal scorer+ a top 12 pick for Keith and that awful contract . He would likely pass thru waivers. Deal with it.
Lol k. Watch some more hockey. Maybe you'll learn something

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah cause there is a long line for 34 yr olds whose best yrs are behind them,but who have huge contracts in a salary cap league.

He actually turns 35 this summer. Absolutely the type of player a bad team that isn't close to contending should be mortgaging their future for.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yeah cause there is a long line for 34 yr olds whose best yrs are behind them,but who have huge contracts in a salary cap league.
How old is Chara again? He just had a great season

Stop pretending you have any clue about Keith's game. He had an anomaly of a shooting percentage year and was carrying AHL dmen and a declining Seabrook all year . But if you want to just keep pounding your fist about his age, have at it. Lidstrom and Chara were still top dmen at 35. Keith is too if you can put him back next to a competent NHL defender

Even lidstrom couldn't carry an entire line with hack dmen on the other side of the ice

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Just like you spent all of last summer "predicting" Barzal would be a bust in the NHL? Boy, you were right and I was wrong about that one. Yet after being completely embarrassed by Colorado fans and their "lol Barzal's gonna suck in the future" predictions, I still haven't learned my lesson when Blues fans decide out of the blue (pun intended!) to go on a weird "lol Lee's gonna suck in the future" tirade.

I mean, I actually said Barzal was a bluechip prospect with a bright NHL future! Why on earth would anyone take what I've said seriously?

Provide me with a quote where I said Barzal would bust in the NHL. Did I think there was a chance he would? Yes. The only prospect I didn't believe had a chance of busting was McDavid.

Anyways, you don't think it's odd that the Islanders is the only fanbase that constantly get into heated arguments with other fanbases?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Provide me with a quote where I said Barzal would bust in the NHL. Did I think there was a chance he would? Yes. The only prospect I didn't believe had a chance of busting was McDavid.

Anyways, you don't think it's odd that the Islanders is the only fanbase that constantly get into heated arguments with other fanbases?

Nice semantics. "I never said he would bust in the NHL, I just posted again and again and again that there was a high chance he'd be terrible! Humongous difference!"

As for your second point, we've owned the Flames 1st rounder during a rough season and never got into a heated argument with them over it.

Barzal and Boeser were neck-and-neck in the Calder race for a good part of the year, yet unlike the Matthews vs. Eichel fights, there was little animosity between us and Canuck fans.

So no, I don't think it's odd that we get into heated arguments when fans like you randomly decide to trash and degrade our players. In fact, I think if someone were to trash and degrade your team's best players, you'd respond the same way. Stop making the decision to attack us if you can't handle a "heated argument" because we're not going around attacking you.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
So if Anders sh% is not sustainable, are you saying he's been "lucky" over the past 163 games? Is that the argument you're making?

Just want to be sure

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sid all due respect, because you know I respect you as much as anyone

there were other factors at play in that trade, Carter wanted no part of columbus and Jack was still at the time a highly regarded top 5 pick and it wasnt just carter for johnson. it was Jack Johnson and a first-round draft pick in either 2012 or 2013.

The Dark Blue Jacket: Why We Boo Jeff Carter

Jeff Carter on why things didn’t work out with Columbus Blue Jackets

It's obviously not a perfect 100% comparison. But, that's the first trade that came to mind to answer your question (about when a 40-goal guy was traded coming off a 40, or in Carter's case near 40, goal season).

Jack Johnson wasn't an unproven guy with elite potential at that point anymore. He'd already played 4 full seasons, and was in the midst of his 5th full season. He was about on par with guys like Gardiner or Brodie at that point.

Again, I acknowledge it's not a 100% comparison to the Lee hypothetical in the OP due to other factors. But at the same time, it's a rough ballpark in terms of the kind of return Lee probably would garner.

but to answer your question, my honest answer is I dont know. I cant be more honest than that. I think in all honesty its a needs trade, if one team like Columbus needed consistent scoring and they have 2 very strong defenders like Jones and Werenski, I could see a match. but at the same time I could totally see Blue Jackets fans saying heck no and I wouldnt blame them. not at all.

those Defensement you names are good defenseman but lee isnt a good finisher, hes an elite finisher

I just see Lee as a specialty forward like Tim Kerr in his day

its hard to compare him to regular forwards because his game is totally different from the typical forward, lee is a finisher, not a playmaker why try and compare him to something he is not

That's where I think some Islander fans are overrating Lee's value. I don't think it matters how much Columbus wants offense, they'd never trade top pairing studs like Werenski or Jones for Lee. You said it yourself in this thread. Lee's not an elite winger, he's elite at one aspect of the game. To land a Jones or a Werenski, you'd have to be elite, period.

Now just to be clear, I'm not even saying the Isles *should* trade Lee for Gardiner or Brodie or whoever. It might actually be the best course to keep Lee and try and fix the defense another way (maybe use some of the multiple high draft picks). But since Crew created a thread about a hypothetical situation in which Lee *was* dangled to land a defenseman, I think the value would be a lot closer to a Gardiner or Brodie than it would a Jones or Werenski.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
1) I didn't "systematically tear Lee down." I discussed the likelihood of him sustaining what he's accomplished the last couple of years. Those are not the same thing.

2) You seem to have a very basic misunderstanding of what I was trying to accomplish.

When you're looking to establish the likelihood of something happening based upon regression, you compare it to the biggest sample of players possible...not to a hand-picked sample size of one. That's basic stats.

The original post discussed all players from 1967 on (including Tim Kerr), and separately all currently active players, to make sure that every single comparable player to Lee in either group was included. There are far more players who have made their living that way than just Lee, and Kerr, and Tkachuk. We want all of them to be included in this discussion to get the best idea of what's likely to happen, not just one or two cherry-picked cases, because if they're included and their shooting percentage was also very high relative to their peers, that will show up somehow in the resulting analysis. If, for example, the upper range of shooting percentages is dominated by net front guys, we'll be able to observe that. If it isn't, we'll be able to observe that as well.

Your chosen method excludes every single player like Lee but Kerr. This is not better. Meaningful statistical analysis is done with big sample sizes, not cherry-picked small/singluar ones, and (in spite of you are implying), a lot of people in the NHL have made (and continue to make) their living primarily in front of the net.

Of the 1264 players since 1967 who have at least 70 career goals and 160 games played (which includes Kerr, Tkachuk, Lee, and anyone else over that span who has played like them), only 29 have a career shooting percentage at or above 18.5%...that's 2% of all those players. Here's the complete list: Warren Young, Craig Simpson, Charlie Simmer, Sergei Makarov, Paul MacLean, Mike Bossy, Yvon Lambert, Rick Middleton, Blake Stoughton, Rob Brown, Darryl Sutter, Mike Ridley, Steve Vickers, Tom McCarthy, Kent Nillson, John Bucyk, Jarri Kurri, Mark Pavelich, Marian Stastny, Mario Lemieux, Peter Stastny, Ray Ferraro, Mark Hunter, Stan Jonathan, Tim Kerr, Mikko Makela, Peter McNabb, Alex Tanguay, and Mats Naslund.

You'll notice that the list has its share of net front guys, but it is not dominated by that group. You'll also notice that a lot of really talented net front guys did not make that list. Being an outstanding net front guy may reasonably be expected to give you an inside track to an above average shooting percentage, perhaps even well above average, but there's a vast difference between that reasonable notion and believing it can propel him to heights not sustained by any of his peers.

Of all the players meeting the inclusion criteria, including all the net front guys, 97% had a career shooting percentage below 18%, 94% had a career shooting percentage below 17%, 90% had a shooting percentage below 16%, and 84% had a shooting percentage below 15%. (The upper shooting percentage ranges are not dominated by net front players.) Those are descriptive statistics that clearly indicate how hard it is to sustain a high shooting percentage. They guarantee nothing. They only provide context, but the sample size is large and the context is pretty strong.

I knew that the high end of the list was disproportionally populated by historic players after reviewing it, so I included a listing of only active players as well. Of the 293 active players with 70+ goals and 160+ games played, zero have a career shooting percentage at or above 18.5%, and only 1 player (0.0035% of the group) is even above 17%...and 98% of the group is below 15%, including Lee himself.

Every single active net front player with any degree of longevity and scoring touch is included in that group, and Lee is most certainly not the only player in that group who excels at making his living in front of the net. Not one of them has set a precedent for being able to accomplish what you think Lee will accomplish.

It's clearly harder to sustain a high shooting percentage now than it has been historically. Lee sustaining an 18.5% shooting percentage would literally make him one of a kind among active players, regardless of what style of game they play, and it would place him in rarefied air even among a larger historical sample.

Once again, maybe he does it, but it does not seem like a good bet to take given the anticipated contractual stakes, for fairly obvious reasons (IMO).

This is not a disingenuous approach, in spite of your insistence to the contrary. This is a far less biased and more empirically reasonable approach to this question than trying to claim one hand-picked historical example that happens to "confirm" your belief as some sort of precedent setting case study, or as supporting evidence of significant weight...especially when there are a large number of easy counter-example case studies that contradict the claim, one of which I've already presented (and which you subsequently dismissed as irrelevant, in spite of sticking with your Kerr comparison as the foundation for your argument).

You continue to claim that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm fairly certain the misunderstanding is not mine.
I dont CLAIM you dont know what youre talking about, I KNOW you dont know what youre talking about

put simply your wrong you added a bunch of extraneous data (All players since 1967) which dont have anything to do with the discussion which taints the conclusion

one of the very first lessons youre taught in statistics is to Identify your sample, which you clearly did not do.. all players do not play as Lee does, neither do All forwards, so much of your sample is diluted by invalid assumptions

to correctly develop a sample you must get rid of the extraneous,but you didnt even try, now if you had limited your sample to all goals scored from within 5 feet for example you would find shooting percentages to be higher than from 20 feet, its the enire theory behind hot zones or high danger areas, but you deliberately left that out

i didnt just use Tim Kerr, he was merely the closest similarity score to Lee I also used the historical data on hot zones and danger areas on a decade by decade basis to try to account for changes in the game itself, as anyone with a statistical background would do.

That is why you have to remove the extraneous from your sample the closer you can get to a proper sample the higher the Validity coefficient

I was for 23 years one of the IRS leading Tax specialists and as a function of my Position I had to understand not only basic statistics but also validity coefficients and how to separate the germain from the extraneous, just like you dont compare 7'3 centers to 5 '10 point guards you dont compare those who do their scoring from in close to those who score from outside, Shooting percentages from different areas have wildly different rates

so youre all players approach tptally ignores that and will lead to invalid results. which is why I know you dont have a clue about what you were talking about, you didnt even try to limit your sample to like kind data. you left it overly broad and vectorless

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad