Confirmed with Link: What to do with Trouba? (UPD: 1y/5.5m arb award)

*IFF* Trouba asks for too much money, & you can't get full value in a trade - best option for Chevy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Still, would almost certainly bag an extra 10-15 points if he got substantial PP time, which would put him into the 45-50 point range.

Not sure I agree. He has held steady at around 2.3 to 2.5 P/60 on the PP over the last four years. Fun fact he's gotten top 3 PP toi in almost all of those seasons as well. At 2 and a half minutes per game over a full 82 he would get roughly 190 minutes on the PP. At his scoring rates he would get roughly 5 to 8 points. No where near an additional 10 to 15 points.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not sure I agree. He has held steady at around 2.3 to 2.5 P/60 on the PP over the last four years. Fun fact he's gotten top 3 PP toi in almost all of those seasons as well. At 2 and a half minutes per game over a full 82 he would get roughly 190 minutes on the PP. At his scoring rates he would get roughly 5 to 8 points. No where near an additional 10 to 15 points.
I think his PP production would rise with more time. As it is, quite a bit of his PP time is in the last bits when the Jets put him out to carry over into 5v5. 55% of his PP time was with Myers. You can't really compare that PP time to regular PP duty.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think his PP production would rise with more time. As it is, quite a bit of his PP time is in the last bits when the Jets put him out to carry over into 5v5. 55% of his PP time was with Myers. You can't really compare that PP time to regular PP duty.

He averaged 30 seconds less a game on the PP and has been regularly deployed there over the years.

He's gotten years of 102, 98 (In 60), 81 (in 55 games) in minutes over the years. Myers only got 169 in a full 81 this past season. Those totals aren't indicative of only spot time.

I just don't think he is anything more than am average dmen on the PP.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
There are lots of ways to parse the numbers, but separating 5v5 from total points isn't necessarily the best one. The highest paid D in the league are also PP beasts and it shows in their totals. Here is an example from just the Jets over the past 3 reg seasons :
Buff: Total points-9th in NHL; P/GP -16th in NHL; TOI/GP-5th in NHL
Trouba: Total points-56th in NHL; P/GP-66th TOI/GP-32nd

If Trouba were so great on the PP, he would have more PP time and points, but the fact is that he isn't. I'm surprised how offensively uncreative he is relative to the top tier of D in the league and, even on our team, compared to Buff and Myers.
It's just easier to shoot the media messengers in this town.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This article — and more importantly he fact that there’s been no deal yet — is doing nothing to persuade me I’m wrong that Trouba still doesn’t want to be in winnipeg or at least not for a grievous overpayment.

Don't know if he really wants to stay or not and at this point I'm done caring...as long as he is giving 100% when he's playing ... that's all that matters.

He needs to be resolved this week. Sure , maybe the Jets don't get all that involved in the UFA market other than maybe Statsny, but if they want to keep Statsny they need to know how much money they have to deal with, and that means knowing what they are doing with Trouba.... and now.

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't know if he really wants to stay or not and at this point I'm done caring...as long as he is giving 100% when he's playing ... that's all that matters.

He needs to be resolved this week. Sure , maybe the Jets don't get all that involved in the UFA market other than maybe Statsny, but if they want to keep Statsny they need to know how much money they have to deal with, and that means knowing what they are doing with Trouba.

To me, not signing or trading Trouba this weeks means Statsny is gone, because we won't know how much dollars we have to work with, and someone else is going to sign him next week.

Good post. Add to that if Perrault or an equiviliant salary isn't moved this week Stastny is also gone. Can't fit him in regardless of the Trouba situation if we don't move out some money.

I think he's gone illregardless

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
2016-18 5v5

Subban 46 points in 148 games
Byfuglien 44 in 149
Suter 43 in 160
Chara 42 in 148
Doughty 40 in 164
Trouba 40 in 115
Ellis 38 in 115

"Not an offensive defenseman"
Adding context to this is who Jacob Trouba shares the ice with. Not to take away from the numbers but it has to be a consideration.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I dont think we can pay Trouba like an elite guy because he doesn't rack up points on the PP like the elites do. But his agent also isn't going to let the fact that Maurice preferred Myers there get in the way of a proper payday.

He will want to get paid as if he was an average PP2 defenseman which he likely would be without Myers. On top of what he doesn contribute 5v5 and top PK. Which is fair.

No getting around paying him, his role is irreplacable from anyone available in a trade anywhere. No way around it, we need to sign him if hes willing to be here.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I dont think we can pay Trouba like an elite guy because he doesn't rack up points on the PP like the elites do. But his agent also isn't going to let the fact that Maurice preferred Myers there get in the way of a proper payday.

He will want to get paid as if he was an average PP2 defenseman which he likely would be without Myers. On top of what he doesn contribute 5v5 and top PK. Which is fair.

No getting around paying him, his role is irreplacable from anyone available in a trade anywhere. No way around it, we need to sign him if hes willing to be here.
There is no guaranteeing that it wouldn't be Mo on pp2

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Agreed. But point is he is capable of doing it so hes not going to want to be paid less because the coach prefers someone else.
But no more capable than other guys the team already has. So how can he ask for more? It's like can running backs in the CFL ask for more money because they are theoretically capable of playing the return guy on special teams? Trouba was given a few attempts and he did not make it stick. I just don't get how player's agents can argue whatever they want and then get paid for it.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
In my opinion and nobody but Jake Chevy and Overhardt knows for sure but this all comes down 2... Does he actually want to be here long term? Cuz if not... You gotta trade him. Hopefully Jake was sincere in his year end interviews and wants to be here

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Would the Jets match an offer sheet to Trouba for $8 million x 1 year, or would they let him walk and just take the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks? I think they'd need to bite the bullet and match it, but that would create havoc for their cap situation, and also make things very precarious Trouba. Basically, they'd probably need to trade him after the season, but his value would be substantially diminished.

Who might do this? Well, Vegas, of course. McPhee has shown a willingness to tick off other GMs, they have the cap space, and might have some confidence that they could sign Trouba long-term as their franchise RD.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Would the Jets match an offer sheet to Trouba for $8 million x 1 year, or would they let him walk and just take the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks? I think they'd need to bite the bullet and match it, but that would create havoc for their cap situation, and also make things very precarious Trouba. Basically, they'd probably need to trade him after the season, but his value would be substantially diminished.

Who might do this? Well, Vegas, of course. McPhee has shown a willingness to tick off other GMs, they have the cap space, and might have some confidence that they could sign Trouba long-term as their franchise RD.

A one year deal at 8 Mill is basically a two year deal at that as you'd have to put in a qualifying offer at that to keep their RFA rights, correct? That would put him right at UFA. That doesn't really make sense for anyone I don't think.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I recall in the period leading up to the XD that McPhee was complaining about some GM's not "playing fair" (boo hoo little Georgie, run home to Mommy and cry) and I suspect Chevy was one of them. I think he had his eye on a Jet or two that he figured would be available and Chevy ended that dream when he got Enstrom to waive. So yeah, I would not be surprised to see some shenanigans from McPhee directed the Jets way. It's too bad Chevy can't punch this guy in the face. Or at least send Zinger to bite him on his knee. :laugh:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

1 of trouba or myers needs to be signed this summer to a long term contract and the other traded. But an offer sheet at 1 or 2 million more offered to trouba than he would get on a long term deal or arb award would not create havoc on the cap situation. I would try and sign Trouba till the end of July then move on to myers . Trouba needs to commit this summer long term.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Is there any specific date when this needs to be done? I keep hearing "summer", but does that mean before July 1, before training camp, or some other date?

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Is there any specific date when this needs to be done? I keep hearing "summer", but does that mean before July 1, before training camp, or some other date?
Trouba can sign a contract any time from the Jets, can sign an offersheet as of July 1st, and if he does neither, he can file for arbitration and that will be towards the end of july. Latest he could go without a contract is early August realistically

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
People who say they know are saying Trouba is a done deal.. As is Morrissey and they will announce them together july 1st. Long term.

Who is speculating this?

I would be quite happy with a July 1st announcement but don't see why they have to wait if they are done deals.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
People who say they know are saying Trouba is a done deal.. As is Morrissey and they will announce them together july 1st. Long term.
I hope this is true. That would be outstanding. Morrissey and Trouba are going to be one of the best D pairs for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad