Confirmed with Link: What to do with Trouba? (UPD: 1y/5.5m arb award)

*IFF* Trouba asks for too much money, & you can't get full value in a trade - best option for Chevy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
No, we sign him. End of discussion. Next year's draft will be much much better and has some promising centers, of which we need in our system. This year's draft doesn't have that so far.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Myers gets traded in order to sign Trouba to an extension that fits under the cap, maybe Steve Mason too.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Keep Trouba(100% on that), keep Mason(for now), maybe move Myers(if the sales pitch is worth it on the other side) and trade Perreault(because I want Vesalainen to come work into the lineup and Perreaults value isn’t getting any higher by the day).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We have a cap crunch going on here. With no official draft party, we need a first rounder. Do we trade Trouba? Yes we will. Any good ideas?
So we trade Trouba so we can have a draft party? Rather keep him to improve our chances of having a Stanley cup parade at some point in the future. If he is willing to stay in Winnipeg long term, which he appears to be you have to sign a top pairing RHD just entering his prime. I still expect a mid range 4-5 year extension for Jake within 3 days of his Arb hearing later this summer. That will be the compromise.

I'd love to get back into the first road but that will need to come from somewhere else.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Some real wishing moments here:
  • We're presuming things have changed and Jacob Trouba no longer wants to move to a US market. There is no evidence of this.
  • We are suggesting that Tyler Myers will fetch a 1st. Will he?
  • We are thinking that the Jets want to move Myers. I really don't think they do, especially considering we are most likely losing Enstrom and potentially Trouba as well.
I'd rather trade D for D if we are moving Trouba. Our first round picks have panned out but we would be taking a big step back by moving our second best defenseman for a player that will not impact the lineup next year. This teams win-dow is now.

I'd love to get a guy like Ristolainen or Gostisbehre but I don't know that a swap like that benefits Philly or Buffalo. Would love Ekblad but that's a pipe dream. Maybe Parayko +? I really like his game.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Sign him to fair market value for as many years as possible. The only reason not to is if he really doesn’t want to play in Winnipeg. I have heard nothing that would make me believe he is unhappy playing for the Jets. He and JoMo can be the top pair D on this team for the next 6 to 8 years eating 20 - 25 minutes a night.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...with-the-jets-myers-may-be-available.2491923/
'The quicker the better,' Trouba says about signing new deal with Jets

I see no reason to think he wants out of a contending team where his previously voiced concerns of wanting to play the right side and get important minutes has been addressed. Not to mention his D partner is Josh Morrissey and not Mark Stuart. The only thing left is to agree on money and term, I'm sure Chevy will find a way to make it work. He's done a pretty good job so far.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Seriously? Trade Trouba just to get another 1st rounder? This team is not rebuilding. Of course this changes if he doesn't sign.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Im just happy he wants to stay because Trouba is awesome. We drafted him for this, to be our future. We don't need to go back to the draft table and wait another 6 years to have a RHD. We have our drafted boy now and we are into contending status. Him and JM are going to be such a sweet D pair for a long time. They're still young, their best years are ahead of them yet.

Chevy will get it done.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Seriously? Trade Trouba just to get another 1st rounder? This team is not rebuilding. Of course this changes if he doesn't sign.
Even if Trouba doesn't want to re-sign, I'm not sure I like the idea of a 1st round pick as the main piece back unless it is Buffalo calling. And that isn't happening. If anything a pick comes along with a nearly ready high end defenseman or high end center prospect.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
The only trades that should possibly be made are ones to get as much value out of Myers and Perreault, assuming Maurice and Chevy are confident guys like Poolman, Vesalainen(/Petan/Lemiuex/Appleton for the Wing) can replace them without loosing a step. In theory it is a good idea but it could hurt our team by blow of lost skill, experience and possibly worst of all chemistry.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Only reasons Chevy would want to trade Trouba are

1) He still wants out behind the scenes. Not saying he does but you never know...

2) We can't sign him to a long term deal to close to what he is actually worth. To me he is a $5.5M guy max based on other contracts.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The only trades that should possibly be made are ones to get as much value out of Myers and Perreault, assuming Maurice and Chevy are confident guys like Poolman, Vesalainen(/Petan/Lemiuex/Appleton for the Wing) can replace them without loosing a step. In theory it is a good idea but it could hurt our team by blow of lost skill, experience and possibly worst of all chemistry.
I think you undervalue Matty P a lot and overvalue his potential replacements.
Maybe next season or two seasons from now Vesalainen ...but Petan & Lemieux will likely never be at Matty’s level ever.
Appleton maybe???
Sign Trouba if he wants to stay...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yup, no way any of those guys replace MP yet and Poolman won't get you near the points Myers will. I think Poolman is the way to go on the third pairing though.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yup, no way any of those guys replace MP yet and Poolman won't get you near the points Myers will. I think Poolman is the way to go on the third pairing though.

Half of Myers production comes on the PP. Where I think any of Trouba, Morrissey or maybe even Niku can do just as well if not better. The other half is about 17 points I believe 5v5. Chiarot had 14 5v5 points in about 25 less games. I think Niku could make up that production pretty easily.
Myers production in an 82 game span is a mirage based on his PP time. We can make up that production the easiest out of anyone on the roster who makes what he does.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Im just happy he wants to stay because Trouba is awesome. We drafted him for this, to be our future. We don't need to go back to the draft table and wait another 6 years to have a RHD. We have our drafted boy now and we are into contending status. Him and JM are going to be such a sweet D pair for a long time. They're still young, their best years are ahead of them yet.

Chevy will get it done.

Yea at the end of the day we need a top pairing for the next 7 seasons and Trouba and Morrissey are it. As long as both sides can find a balance then Jacob will get signed.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yea at the end of the day we need a top pairing for the next 7 seasons and Trouba and Morrissey are it. As long as both sides can find a balance then Jacob will get signed.

They love playing with each other as well you can tell. Both are young as well being 23 and 22 respectively. They won't hit their prime for awhile yet and as they grow together and learn from each other and learn each others tendencies they will grow into a really solid two-way force of a pairing. Both can play solid D, move the puck and make breakout passes, both can chip in offensively and shut down defensively. They are for the most part our most rounded pairing already and they are just getting started. You lock them both up long term.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

There has been a lot of bullshit slung in this drama - it was basically debunked around here that side/ role was the reason that Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg, and that it was a lame cover when in fact he wanted to play in a larger US market.

Hopefully playing with Morrissey on a Stanley Cup contending team has changed his mind but lets not forget there's a lot of politicking going on here.

I want him to stay if he TRULY wants to stay but some Sportsnet article isn't convincing me of that. I guess we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad