Confirmed with Link: What to do with Trouba? (UPD: 1y/5.5m arb award)

*IFF* Trouba asks for too much money, & you can't get full value in a trade - best option for Chevy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I honestly hope Overhardt is behind this, and I trust that Chevy will never sign another Overhardt client again (he's probably not alone in this decision either).

At this point, I'm done trying to defend Trouba. I tried to take the logical route regarding the rumors and say that 'insiders' were full of it, and we didn't know anything except for what official statements said. Going to arbitration, even though his demand is reasonable(ish), it's pretty clear he's not signing longterm, and his "wants to stay in Winnipeg" was just blowing smoke up our asses. I'm totally fine offloading him to our Siberian farm team affiliate, the Buffalo Sabres. Let Bogosian get in his head again, see what it does for his value.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I honestly hope Overhardt is behind this, and I trust that Chevy will never sign another Overhardt client again (he's probably not alone in this decision either).

At this point, I'm done trying to defend Trouba. I tried to take the logical route regarding the rumors and say that 'insiders' were full of it, and we didn't know anything except for what official statements said. Going to arbitration, even though his demand is reasonable(ish), it's pretty clear he's not signing longterm, and his "wants to stay in Winnipeg" was just blowing smoke up our asses. I'm totally fine offloading him to our Siberian farm team affiliate, the Buffalo Sabres. Let Bogosian get in his head again, see what it does for his value.

It's not a requirement for a player to sign with the team that drafted him outside of his RFA years. If the true intent of Trouba is to leave Winnipeg, that's his option to go with that course of action. The Jets, during his RFA years will decide where he plays. Unlike the last contract, Trouba has arbitration rights, so, that is where this is heading for this season and likely next season if the Jets don't move him after the 18-19 season and before his arbitration hearing in 2019. Definitely want to move him prior to his next arbitration case as you want the other team to negotiate his next contract.

Trouba only has to give the Jets 7 years, which is still a very long time. They hold his rights until he turns 26, per the CBA rules. If he wants to leave Winnipeg once those 7 years are complete, that's his right. Same with Panarin in CBS after he completes his 4 years and turns 27, which is the other condition to become a UFA.

Signing long term provides a player with security because you never know about injuries. But, if a player wants the freedom to choose his next destination, it's his right to do so.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
It's not a requirement for a player to sign with the team that drafted him outside of his RFA years. If the true intent of Trouba is to leave Winnipeg, that's his option to go with that course of action. The Jets, during his RFA years will decide where he plays. Unlike the last contract, Trouba has arbitration rights, so, that is where this is heading for this season and likely next season if the Jets don't move him after the 18-19 season and before his arbitration hearing in 2019. Definitely want to move him prior to his next arbitration case as you want the other team to negotiate his next contract.

Trouba only has to give the Jets 7 years, which is still a very long time. They hold his rights until he turns 26, per the CBA rules. If he wants to leave Winnipeg once those 7 years are complete, that's his right. Same with Panarin in CBS after he completes his 4 years and turns 27, which is the other condition to become a UFA.

Signing long term provides a player with security because you never know about injuries. But, if a player wants the freedom to choose his next destination, it's his right to do so.

My issue with it is things like this:

CtKADYEWEAEhoWJ.jpg

"After players had exit meetings with head coach Paul Maurice and general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff on Tuesday, the pending restricted free agent was asked if he'd like a deal done sooner rather than later.
"Been down that road once. Quicker the better," Trouba said.
He also seemed open to signing a long-term deal.
"I'm sure in the next week or two or couple of days I'll meet with my agent and we'll go over stuff," Trouba said. "We'll see where it goes from there. Talk to (Cheveldayoff) and I'm sure something will be worked out."
After past contract hassles, Jacob Trouba itching for new deal with Jets | CBC News

If you want out, say it. Don't be a coward, don't dick around, and don't lie. Actions speak louder than words.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011

CtKADYEWEAEhoWJ.jpg

"After players had exit meetings with head coach Paul Maurice and general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff on Tuesday, the pending restricted free agent was asked if he'd like a deal done sooner rather than later.
"I'm sure in the next week or two or couple of days I'll meet with my agent and we'll go over stuff," Trouba said. "We'll see where it goes from there. Talk to (Cheveldayoff) and I'm sure something will be worked out."
After past contract hassles, Jacob Trouba itching for new deal with Jets | CBC News

If you want out, say it. Don't be a coward, don't dick around, and don't lie. Actions speak louder than words.
I have yet to read anything that says he wants out since the end of the season. We don't know what the Jets have offered him long term. If the Jets have not offered more than $5.5 million, I don't blame him for not signing long term. Until he states he wants out, I will go with his last statement that he wants to stay.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I have yet to read anything that says he wants out since the end of the season. We don't know what the Jets have offered him long term. If the Jets have not offered more than $5.5 million, I don't blame him for not signing long term. Until he states he wants out, I will go with his last statement that he wants to stay.
Research shows that what people say (and write in this case) is a very poor predictor of how they behave. The best predictor is how they have behaved in the past. Just look at Overhardt's, and Trouba's histories and you have your window into the future. No need to blame, but no reason to expect anything other than how this is playing out.

Reactions: ERYX

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Is they’re any chance a transcript or similar will materialize from the hearing? I’d love to see how the Jets truly feel about Trouba :)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

CtKADYEWEAEhoWJ.jpg

this happens all the time...typical hockey jargon. Yea after a deep playoff run how will it look if Trouba says "I want out" he well get berated similar to how he is now. It's just like JT and the isles. It doesn't stop at players, GMs do it too.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I Doesn’t necessary think he wants out he just wants a number we don’t want to pay like Stastny......two willing parties can disagree on value and not find the common ground. The end result may be exactly the same and I know some people (not saying you) are feeling snubbed but it’s business. The Trouba camp want a bigger contract than The Jets will pay so it’s TNSE’s move now.

The reason I am skeptical of this argument is that the list of comparables for Trouba is not short. There should be almost no doubt about what his market value is and I believe Chevy has offered him a dollar and term value similar to those comparables. I see no evidence the Jets are trying to lowball him (both Helle and Lowry signed at or slightly above their market value). At this point if Trouba accepts the arbitration award then I will have to assume that it's because he wants out.

Reactions: buggs

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

soooo goodbye Andrew Copp and Petan?? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

None

Feb 22, 2012
I wish Lawless was still around, we'd probably at least know what the Jets offered :laugh:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
If you are mad at anyone you should be mad at Trouba. The agent works for the player not the other way around. The agent is working around the directives issued to him by the player, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Sorry that's not how it works. The player puts a great deal of trust in the agent to get the best result for them. Yes they give a directive but the agents have different ways to get results. You have to remember that the agent gets more when the player gets more. They will drive hard to get what they want. So many things go into contracts, it's unreal. Things even such as a entry level contract that may or may not include the players parents being flown out to the first NHL game of the player. It's so complex, that's why players leave the work to the agents.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm thinking we have him for 2 more years.

The deal we've offered is likely fair but not necessarily generous.
I can see him taking his short term money and waiting it out for a big, long term paycheck.
My gut tells me he is more interested in location and money (or more money) than he is in a Canadian cup contender.
And I can also see his agent (especially this agent) agreeing 100% with that approach.

Trade him ASAP.

Reactions: ERYX

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
From KO Sports (The Kurt Overhardt Agency) This testimonial says it all as to what a agent will do.

My family and I have worked with Kevin Magnuson and KO sports since 2006 after Kevin saw me play in the USHL Fall Classic for Waterloo. Kevin has helped guide me through the USHL, NCAA and NHL and all the good and bad that comes with each League. His experience as a former practicing attorney was really helpful in negotiating all three of my NHL contracts. Kevin and KO Sports were especially prepared for the salary arbitration hearing we had in 2015 with Nashville that ended with me eventually earning an awesome, life changing 5-year deal.
— Craig Smith
So this shows that Trouba is probably taking advice from Overhardt how to go through the process of eventually getting a big contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad