What to do with our goalies

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Announcers of other teams also mentionned it when Lehner was losing his **** at his teammates after allowing a bad goal

The comparison is warranted. It might not be perfect but its a plausible comparison. Their situations have similarities and differences.

The only similarity is that they both won the Calder Cup at age 19 (or whatever it was)

Outside of that they are worlds apart: Price is cool and all about technique while Lehner is hot-headed and all about athleticism. There are not comparable whatsoever and the telltale sign of this is that no one does it except the Lehner fanboys.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Announcers of other teams also mentionned it when Lehner was losing his **** at his teammates after allowing a bad goal

The only similarity is that they both won the Calder Cup at age 19 (or whatever it was)

Outside of that they are worlds apart: Price is cool and all about technique while Lehner is hot-headed and all about athleticism. There are not comparable whatsoever and the telltale sign of this is that no one does it except the Lehner fanboys.

Their situations are quite comparable. Montreal had a very similar thing going on not too long ago with Halak and Price.

Halak had just led them on a successful playoff run (similar to Hammond in the regular season) while Price was the inconsistent high draft pick that a lot of their fans weren't too keen on ( not to mention them booing him in a preseason game or something like that).

It's literally he exact same thing going on here. Everyone loves Hammond and Lehner is the talented high draft pick who can't seem to put it together as yet consistently and the one people wouldn't mind seeing leaving.

The only thing was that Montreal showed the balls to stick with the guy they invested more in because they saw his potential and traded away the fan favourite of the moment in Halak...and the rest is history. They now have the undisputed best goalie in the league just starting his prime years. They're set for the next 10 years in the most important position in the game.

It seems to me atleast Ottawa's going for a guy with the short term fame over the guy with the potential down the road. They're giving up on him way too fast.

Now whether Lehner ever gets to be as good as Price is another story, but he has the tools and has shown in spurts he has the potential to be a very very good goalie. Not as good as Price, but still very good.

Murray's taking a gamble here which could burn him down the road. I sincerely don't think Hammond's going to be anything special down the road

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Their situations are quite comparable. Montreal had a very similar thing going on not too long ago with Halak and Price.

Halak had just led them on a successful playoff run (similar to Hammond in the regular season) while Price was the inconsistent high draft pick that a lot of their fans weren't too keen on ( not to mention them booing him in a preseason game or something like that).

It's literally he exact same thing going on here. Everyone loves Hammond and Lehner is the talented high draft pick who can't seem to put it together as yet consistently and the one people wouldn't mind seeing leaving.

The only thing was that Montreal showed the balls to stick with the guy they invested more in because they saw his potential and traded away the fan favourite of the moment in Halak...and the rest is history. They now have the undisputed best goalie in the league just starting his prime years. They're set for the next 10 years in the most important position in the game.

It seems to me atleast Ottawa's going for a guy with the short term fame over the guy with the potential down the road. They're giving up on him way too fast.

Now whether Lehner ever gets to be as good as Price is another story, but he has the tools and has shown in spurts he has the potential to be a very very good goalie. Not as good as Price, but still very good.

Murray's taking a gamble here which could burn him down the road. I sincerely don't think Hammond's going to be anything special down the road
It's not at all the same situation. Montreal didn't also have an all-star goalie who had just returned off injury and had consistently phenomenal playoff numbers.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

This is what I was getting at, their styles and personalities couldn't be anymore different. They both won a Calder cup and they were both young on an NHL team I guess?

I'm pretty sure Price was still a more highly touted prospect than Lehner too.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
It's not at all the same situation. Montreal didn't also have an all-star goalie who had just returned off injury and had consistently phenomenal playoff numbers.

You're missing my point. Take Anderson out of the equation, I think it's pretty much guaranteed he's coming back next season. We're talking about who's backing him up now

The dilemma between Lehner and Hamond is very similar to what Halak and Price went through. The only difference is Montreal was left contemplating who was their #1 guy and Ottawa's contemplating who's backing up Anderson

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
You're missing my point. Take Anderson out of the equation, I think it's pretty much guaranteed he's coming back next season. We're talking about who's backing him up now

The dilemma between Lehner and Hamond is very similar to what Halak and Price went through. The only difference is Montreal was left contemplating who was their #1 guy and Ottawa's contemplating who's backing up Anderson

At its absolute surface, there are similarities. But Price's numbers hadn't been regressing since his entry in the league, and picking a starter for the future is a lot different than picking a backup who may one day become your starter.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It's tough to say because we don't know what offers could be on the table for Lehner or Anderson.

If there's an amazing offer on the table for Anderson at the draft I'd consider it and run with Lehner-Hammond.

Same goes for an amazing offer coming in for Lehner (although far more unlikely).

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
if you run with Hammond+Lehner, you'll have to accept the fact that there isn't a #1 in that pair, nor may there ever be

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If there's a very good offer for Anderson (either a top 6 LW or a top 4 dman) I would certainly consider it

I doubt I'd pull the trigger but I wouldn't dismiss it outright

You know who might want Anderson? St-Louis

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I voted trade Lehner, keep Andy/Hammond, but really I haven't a clue what they should do.

The decision has to hedge on O'Connor I guess. It's a lot easier to trade Lehner if you have another young goalie waiting in the wings developing in the AHL.

I guess it could depend on Lehner's value also. If teams are only offering you scraps for him you can't just let him go for that.

Man this is a tough one.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If there's a very good offer for Anderson (either a top 6 LW or a top 4 dman) I would certainly consider it

After the trainwreck of trading for a "big name" in Miller? Bet dollars to donuts they'd sooner ride out Jake Allen and see what they've got there.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007

What do you think fair value would be for Andy? Do you think we can snag a D, or even add a pick and get Oshie?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
After the trainwreck of trading for a "big name" in Miller? Bet dollars to donuts they'd sooner ride out Jake Allen and see what they've got there.

I don't think getting Anderson would be as costly but that's just an impression

I'm of the mind that it's far more important focus on need than value: if you don't get full value but your needs fulfilled you ought to go for it, but if you get full value but nothing for your needs then why bother?

I think that if Anderson is traded (and he very likely won't be) it will be because we're getting a top 6 LW or a top 4 D which would be amazing.

What do you think fair value would be for Andy? Do you think we can snag a D, or even add a pick and get Oshie?

Hard to say

I'm not that wise

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I don't think getting Anderson would be as costly but that's just an impression

I'm of the mind that it's far more important focus on need than value: if you don't get full value but your needs fulfilled you ought to go for it, but if you get full value but nothing for your needs then why bother?

I think that if Anderson is traded (and he very likely won't be) it will be because we're getting a top 6 LW or a top 4 D which would be amazing.

Hard to say

I'm not that wise

That's exactly what a wise person would have us think....
images

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
This is why I feel trying to set up an Anderson to Edmonton for one of their high end forwards is the right deal to target.

I don't. That's such a mean thing to do to a guy that clearly has a passion for this organization. If I am Murray (And I think he agrees with me), if we send Andy anywhere, it's somewhere he'll feel happy and comfortable.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Robin Lehner also has similiarities and differences with Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Dominik Hasek, Jacques Plante and Terry Sawchuk. That is saying precisely nothing.

Having the type of goalie who can win you a Stanley Cup is saying something. Lehner has that pedigree. But I think we will be stupid and trade him to the Oilers for Hall or Eberle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad