What to do with our goalies

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The safe play is letting Hammond walk as Anderson is the number 1 and Lehner has the most potential

If u want to take a risk then trade Andy he is the oldest and probably most valuable. The last thing Ottawa needs to do is pull a Toronto and trade rask (lehner) to keep pogge(o'connor)

We don't know who will be better but u should keep both O’Connor and Lehner

These goalies alone will probably get only a pick which is why u would need to package them (Andy + weir +peumpel) type deal to get a good return

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Now that the dust has settled...

Now that the dust has settled, who plays nets for the Sens next year?

Craig Anderson is talented and a great playoff performer. Robin Lehner is a big yound goalie with talent and upside.

And what, if any, contract so you extend to Andrew Hammond who will be a UFA this summer? Hammond is certain to turn his back on a 2-way deal. As crazy as it sounds, unless he is willing to sign a very modest one-way contract, you may have the let the Hamburgler walk.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Anderson is the starter that much is obvious

The rest is up in the air until we find out if we retain Hammond, what happens with Lehner and O'Connor

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The more I think about it, the more I wonder how in demand Hammond may or may not be on July 1. In the "old" NHL there would have been a bidding war for him, but with so many teams tight against a static salary cap and the trend against spending big on goalies I find myself wondering if anyone is going to offer him the sort of three year, $7 million deal a guy in his position would have commanded a few years ago.

If Matt O'Connor goes elsewhere, there's a chance Ottawa could sign Hammond to a cap friendly deal and keep him in the fold for another year. Obviously he'll go to July 1 and walk if someone offers up the kind of contract I described - no one would blame him for that. If all things are equal, though, I think he feels some affection to this city and organization.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We'll get the opportunity to sign him first

Hammond's future with the Senators should be something that won't linger for very long

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
We'll get the opportunity to sign him first

Hammond's future with the Senators should be something that won't linger for very long

Yup, agreed. Between the good press and the stats — whether lucky or indicative of something more — re-signing Hammond is just something that has to happen. And I think the org knows it.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
The more I think about it, the more I wonder how in demand Hammond may or may not be on July 1. In the "old" NHL there would have been a bidding war for him, but with so many teams tight against a static salary cap and the trend against spending big on goalies I find myself wondering if anyone is going to offer him the sort of three year, $7 million deal a guy in his position would have commanded a few years ago.

If Matt O'Connor goes elsewhere, there's a chance Ottawa could sign Hammond to a cap friendly deal and keep him in the fold for another year. Obviously he'll go to July 1 and walk if someone offers up the kind of contract I described - no one would blame him for that. If all things are equal, though, I think he feels some affection to this city and organization.

A Montreal media guy said at the GM meeting he asked 5 gms about their interest in ottawa goalies and if they thought hammond was real. One was completely certain he was the real deal

Personally i would not re-sign him to an NHL contract or only give him like 1 mil and have him compete and if he struggles waive him... and i dont think it will be a decsion the team regrets a year from now

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Now that the dust has settled, who plays nets for the Sens next year?

Craig Anderson is talented and a great playoff performer. Robin Lehner is a big yound goalie with talent and upside.

And what, if any, contract so you extend to Andrew Hammond who will be a UFA this summer? Hammond is certain to turn his back on a 2-way deal. As crazy as it sounds, unless he is willing to sign a very modest one-way contract, you may have the let the Hamburgler walk.

There are 8 pages of posts on this subject - most have had their mind made up before the dust was stirred. Could you not find an answer somewhere in there?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
People are short sited. They see the run Hammond went on and think he is the next big thing. We saw what happens under pressure. Anderson is a solid number 1 goalie and Lehner is a star in the making. It would be a mistake to trade either of them.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
People are short sited. They see the run Hammond went on and think he is the next big thing. We saw what happens under pressure. Anderson is a solid number 1 goalie and Lehner is a star in the making. It would be a mistake to trade either of them.

Lehner has been a star in the making for 4 years now, when is it going to shine? Hammond has done more for this team in three months than Lehner has in four years...

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Yup, agreed. Between the good press and the stats — whether lucky or indicative of something more — re-signing Hammond is just something that has to happen. And I think the org knows it.

I agree.

If I was a betting man I'd say this means Lehner is gone. I know a lot of people here are split on whether or not that's the right move to do vs trading Anderson, but I just don't think its in the nature of this team and its management to trade Anderson and run with Lehner/Hammond.

Also important that this will happen in sequential order. First we will know about O'Conner, then we will know if Hammond signs, then they sort out the rest.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Im prepard for Lehner to never develop and Hammond to go back to what he was.

If we trade anderson and that happens....... lol

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
pretty disappointing move by Murray and co.

This essentially means Lehner's gone. I highly doubt they would want to move Anderson. Highly doubt it.

I still think Hammond is another one of those typical flash in the pan types. Going into next season, teams have video on the guy and they can break down his game the way Montreal did with a full off season coming up.

I just was hoping they'd give Lehner atleast another season or two to redeem himself. That's not really all that long but these guys seem to be unwilling to do that for some reason.

They're essentially trading a potential long term solution for a guy who caught fire for a short period of time.

I think Murray got caught up in the hype Hammond generated and did this to please the fan base rather than thinking objectively about the whole thing which is the disappointing thing

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Lehner has been a star in the making for 4 years now, when is it going to shine? Hammond has done more for this team in three months than Lehner has in four years...

Wasn't that long ago Halak had an insane run for the Habs, pushing Price out out the picture. After that run, the Habs shockingly traded Halak and gave the reins to their "star in the making". The rest is history.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Totally agree with this.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Given the most recent injury news on Lehner (i.e. not good) I can see why Murray said today they would make an offer to Hammond. Lehner is now a huge risk and question mark heading into camp. He may still be suffering with concussion symptoms, in which case he goes on LTIR. Once cleared, one would assume they would simply send him to Binghamton to find his game again on the likely correct assumption that no one is claiming a $2 million a year goalie coming off a bad season and a long term injury...

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
I think what's working against Lehner is his attitude. I don't think Management is thrilled with it and if I were to guess, his teammates too. Look at how the players supported and spoke of Hammond. How often have we seen them publicly speak of another player this way??

Players do dislike other players and have preference on who should be playing or not. I know this is taking place on the Sens since I have been told so by a 'source'. I haven't specifically been told this about Lehner though, but it could be one of those cases.

Ragged

Sep 10, 2009

I felt like Hammond acquitted himself under pressure quite nicely once those games leading up the clinching a playoff spot started meaning something. That said, is he a proven commodity? Absolutely not. Could he be a flash in the pan? Yep. Could he be the second coming of Tim Thomas? Who knows. We just went through this with Bishop and, of course, hindsight is 20/20. He certainly didn't have his A game during the playoffs, but in his defence, the whole team looked pretty overwhelmed in those first 2 games. Chances are he reverts back closer to his AHL/career average, rather than going full-hamburglar from now on.

I do know that, while still young, Lehner hasn't done a whole lot over the past year + to impress me, but when you look at his pedigree, it still probably holds up better than Hammond's.

I don't see how you can really trade Anderson at this point, but as was pointed out, Halak got traded.

Throw Matt O'Connor into the mix and, well, let's just say I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make the decision (although I'll be surprise if he lands here). Am I comfortable with an Andy/Hammond tandem with O'Connor in the wings? ....Maybe. :laugh:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
The only thing ill say about Lehner's attitude is Methot regularly praised
anderson and Hammond for being vocal, calm but never blaming the defense or getting angry or upset. (he said something similar)

At first i thought he was just saying it about Hammond but when anderson played Methot said the same thing about Anderson. Could just be his go to thing to say about goalies though.

It got borderline weird because he always was mentioning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad