What to do with our Goalie Situation (poll)

Keep Markstrom and Trade Demko, or Let Marky walk and roll with Demko

• Total voters

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If you’re going to go with Demko next year the team in front needs to be heavily upgraded because odds are heavily against him replicating what Markstrom did this year. However Demko is a very promising goalie with good pedigree and it will likely be a mistake to move him. Basically, going with Demko is the right call long term but to expect a seamless transition would be foolish. This team with even league average goaltending is likely not a playoff team.

Reactions: WTG

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess the question you have to ask, will Markstrom be the goalie when the Canucks are seriously challenging for a Cup? He's 31 and coming off a season where he was injured twice.

So if the Canucks are building around their young stars like Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat and Boeser, and other youngsters like Hoglander, Rathbone and Podkolzin, then Demko is your guy.

There's a glut of goalies out there on the market right now. So you sign a veteran backup for Demko, and you've still got DiPietro in the wings.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
hate to let Markstrom go but its the smarter choice. Really depends on the contract he will accept. Too bad the Canucks are screwed cap wise. Also really depends on the market for Demko. If someone offers an "out of the park" package, (which would include a top prospect and a mid 1st, or an early 2nd and a 3rd) and allow us to get rid of at least one contract. Which is not going to happen.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
The only way we go with Marky is if a team REALLY likes Demko and offers us a WICKED deal.
I'm talking, right hand shot, young cost controlled, Number 3 or better dman.

Reactions: CherryCoke

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The only way we go with Marky is if a team REALLY likes Demko and offers us a WICKED deal.
I'm talking, right hand shot, young cost controlled, Number 3 or better dman.
Doubt that is going to happen.

just more logical for the Canucks to go with demko.

The Seattle ED timing just sucks. We all knew they were getting a team but took so long for them to get approval from the city to remit are the arena that they couldn’t complete it in time for 2020 opening. Too rushed.

ED dictates that a decision has to be made.

Reactions: ugghhh

Grumpy1

Feb 8, 2015
At his age and the upcoming expansion i say let him walk. I think the money is better spent elsewhere. I would rather gamble that demko is ready to take over the net next year

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I say this as a Canucks and Kraken fan: Benning’s gotta play this one carefully with a flat cap and critical ELCs approaching their expiration dates in the next few years. A lot of it comes down to what can be negotiated with Markstrom’s camp, but goaltending is also a position of strength that just got showcased on prime time tv. Demko in particular could go a long way in bringing back a quality defenseman in the offseason, and with the forwards and goalie who will be exposed, a top-4 defenseman (but not a star d-man) should avoid getting claimed by Seattle.

From the perspective of the expansion draft, we’re getting to that point where it’s useful to lay this out on the board now so we’re all familiar with who must be protected and who’s left for protection. Per CapFriendly:

Forwards
Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, and Roussel all have NMCs/NTCs. Ferland does too, but he may be on LTIR and... someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think he needs to be protected then. This leaves protection for Pettersson, Horvat, and one of Miller, Boeser, or Toffoli (if he’s resigned).

Defense
Edler and Myers will have NMCs by the time the draft rolls around. Hughes gets the third sport for protection.

Goaltending
Very much in flux.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I too feel that this is all about what Marky expects to get and what he might be offered by other teams. If he'll take a 3 year term I'm all ears. otherwise it's thanks for the memories.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
I say this as a Canucks and Kraken fan: Benning’s gotta play this one carefully with a flat cap and critical ELCs approaching their expiration dates in the next few years. A lot of it comes down to what can be negotiated with Markstrom’s camp, but goaltending is also a position of strength that just got showcased on prime time tv. Demko in particular could go a long way in bringing back a quality defenseman in the offseason, and with the forwards and goalie who will be exposed, a top-4 defenseman (but not a star d-man) should avoid getting claimed by Seattle.

From the perspective of the expansion draft, we’re getting to that point where it’s useful to lay this out on the board now so we’re all familiar with who must be protected and who’s left for protection. Per CapFriendly:

Forwards
Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, and Roussel all have NMCs/NTCs. Ferland does too, but he may be on LTIR and... someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think he needs to be protected then. This leaves protection for Pettersson, Horvat, and one of Miller, Boeser, or Toffoli (if he’s resigned).

Defense
Edler and Myers will have NMCs by the time the draft rolls around. Hughes gets the third sport for protection.

Goaltending
Very much in flux.

Sutter and Edler are UFAs so will not need to be protected.

Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson are modified-NTCs which I think let us expose them to Seattle, but I'm not 100% sure on those.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Forwards

Defense

This is all incorrect. The Canucks currently have no players they will be forced to protect for the expansion draft.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Markstrom is going to want protection from the expansion draft if he signs here. We can not provide that. He's played his last game in a Canucks uniform. He was one hell of a Canuck, sad to see him go.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It’s also an an option that a ufa player rejects a non ED protected contract, you know. Takes two sides to agree to a contract.

have to be realistic.

only thing the Canucks can offer that another team won’t is an 8th year and no team is going to give him the max anyways.
Oh c'mon. I'm so sick of seeing this for every single bad contract Benning hands out. At some point he has to stop agreeing to get bent over.

If Markstrom wants an NTC, bye. If he wants a retirement contract, bye. There's no reason he can't get paid like the core player he is, but sooner or later a little responsibility has to creep into the salary structure around if the team's ever going to be anything other than a skeleton crew of good players surrounded by minimum wage junk moving forward once the all the anchor contracts have finally expired.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh c'mon. I'm so sick of seeing this for every single bad contract Benning hands out. At some point he has to stop agreeing to get bent over.

If Markstrom wants an NTC, bye. If he wants a retirement contract, bye. There's no reason he can't get paid like the core player he is, but sooner or later a little responsibility has to creep into the salary structure around if the team's ever going to be anything other than a skeleton crew of good players surrounded by minimum wage junk moving forward once the all the anchor contracts have finally expired.
Here is the thing. Players like Rask and others did get nmc for the first portion of their contracts. Rask got a nmc in years 1-4, up to 2017 for the Begas ED but the Bruins didn’t know an ED was upcoming.

The contracts that Benning has given out to ufa players protection decreases over time. Eriksson began with nmc for 2 years then just a ntc for 2 then a mntc for 2.

the elite keep the nmc for the entirety of the contract like Tavares/Lundqvist.

I think most other teams who come knocking for Markstrom if he hits ufa will give him a nmc for 2 years before it drops to some type of ntc/Mntc.

I mean who else is Carolina or Chicago or buffalo going to protect as their goalie after they sign Markstrom?

If there was no Demko around I think Markstrom would so a deal without a nmc maybe just a ntc. But, Demko is still there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hammer79

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Here is the thing. Players like Rask and others did get nmc for the first portion of their contracts. Rask got a nmc in years 1-4, up to 2017 for the Begas ED but the Bruins didn’t know an ED was upcoming.

The contracts that Benning has given out to ufa players protection decreases over time. Eriksson began with nmc for 2 years then just a ntc for 2 then a mntc for 2.

the elite keep the nmc for the entirety of the contract like Tavares/Lundqvist.

I think most other teams who come knocking for Markstrom if he hits ufa will give him a nmc for 2 years before it drops to some type of ntc/Mntc.

I mean who else is Carolina or Chicago or buffalo going to protect as their goalie after they sign Markstrom?

I agree, wherever he goes, he will get expansion draft protection, we can bank on it. His agent isn't going to let him sign somewhere knowing that he could get taken by Seattle. There's no guarantee that the Kraken will catch NHL GM's flatfooted like the VGK did in the ED. I expect slimmer picking for Seattle and a struggle to get competitive. They won't be repeating VGK's success and I'm sure Markstrom knows it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree, wherever he goes, he will get expansion draft protection, we can bank on it. His agent isn't going to let him sign somewhere knowing that he could get taken by Seattle. There's no guarantee that the Kraken will catch NHL GM's flatfooted like the VGK did in the ED. I expect slimmer picking for Seattle and a struggle to get competitive. They won't be repeating VGK's success and I'm sure Markstrom knows it.
Look at the Canucks. They worked contracts with Edler and Myers to ensure neither had to be protected for ED. Ferland also doesn’t get ED protection. Other teams are Doing the same. Teams knew another expansion draft was coming so they are only handing the nmc out to core guys.

nhl teams were handing them out like candy prior to the LV ED and got burned.

I think Markstrom just wants to know he’s the main guy wherever he signs. If there isn’t a challenger to the role he can live without a nmc just a full ntc.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Demko will 100% be the casualty of Bennings poor cap management. Zero doubt in my mind.
Markstrom will get re signed 4-5 years at 6 or maybe just below. They will move demko for cap help. I think they are higher on dipietro as the goalie of the future than they are demko.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Look at the Canucks. They worked contracts with Edler and Myers to ensure neither had to be protected for ED. Ferland also doesn’t get ED protection. Other teams are Doing the same. Teams knew another expansion draft was coming so they are only handing the nmc out to core guys.

nhl teams were handing them out like candy prior to the LV ED and got burned.

I think Markstrom just wants to know he’s the main guy wherever he signs. If there isn’t a challenger to the role he can live without a nmc just a full ntc.

Those players had a lot less leverage than Markstrom. Myers had some leverage, but he was two seasons out from expansion. There are a few teams in the league dying to get Markstrom level goaltending right now. His agent will want assurances he isn't going to Seattle, or he should get a new agent. If we want to commit to Markstrom long term, we would be forced to deal Demko, at a discount due to the ED situation.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I dont see Dipietro as a starting goalie, more of a khudobin type career if all goes well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I dont see Dipietro as a starting goalie, more of a khudobin type career if all goes well.
That’s also part of this equation. Markstrom being realistic based on the play of rinne, Lundqvist, smith, etc who played to 35/36 will show a drop in play at some point. Whether the Canucks can then turn to Dipietro who would be 26 in 5 years remains per of the equation otherwise they will be scrambling for a goaltending when Petey and Hughes are 27/26.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Should be a 3rd option in the Poll. Offer Markstrom a slightly below market deal, if he’s willing to take a home town discount great resign him and trade Demko, but if his demands are too high let him walk and roll with Demko. Canucks have the luxury of drawing a a firm line with Markstrom that they didn’t have before, 4.5Mx4 should be that line.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Should be a 3rd option in the Poll. Offer Markstrom a slightly below market deal, if he’s willing to take a home town discount great resign him and trade Demko, but if his demands are too high let him walk and roll with Demko. Canucks have the luxury of drawing a a firm line with Markstrom that they didn’t have before, 4.5Mx4 should be that line.

Why does he come crawling to JB for a contract when there are 3 NHL teams looking for a starter right now? This is his one chance to cash in, he's 30. He isn't coming back to do us a favor.

Irf Jaffar on NHL radio: 'Canucks went to Markstrom with a very low offer early in the season. Markstrom countered before the return to play. After that, they weren't meeting at all. They weren't seeing eye to eye'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad