What to do with Malcolm Subban?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Keep him in Prov.
However, is he the #1 there ?
I've heard Smith (?) has been very good in Prov.
Is Smith #1 ?
They both get equal playing time ?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Patience. That's the plan.

This. The return on Subban in a trade at this point would not outweigh the benefit of being patient and letting the kid develop. You don't draft a goalie that high then get rid of him this early for lower return without giving him ample time to develop.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Keep him in Prov.
However, is he the #1 there ?
I've heard Smith (?) has been very good in Prov.
Is Smith #1 ?
They both get equal playing time ?

Smith is probably where he will finish his career. Even in the AHL the object is to win. I hate to see a career AHLer play in place of a prospect but you have to manage a team's mental state too. So as long as management is not distroying a prospects mental state I can digest that.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
What is this statement based on? Please elaborate.
Seeing him play? My own personal insight on goalies? ;)

But, choose not to agree, if you want. I don't foresee a long career for him with the Bs. It's all good... ;)

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Seeing him play? My own personal insight on goalies? ;)

But, choose not to agree, if you want. I don't foresee a long career for him with the Bs. It's all good... ;)

As you have identified yourself on these boards as a Leafs fan who gave up on Toronto and became a Pens fan, I find it difficult to believe you've attended many Providence games.

I saw Subban play last night. He shut out Springfield and was #1 star. I also saw him last month in Hartford, when he lost 1-0 on an odd bounce off the back boards. Saw him in Providence last year, and watched him in development camp and rookie camp for two straight years. My verdict: great athleticism, still very raw, positioning has improved tremendously. Still a ways to go, but has great potential.

So, when/where have you seen him play, and what is your special insight?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
You CANNOT judge him on that at louis game... Blame CJ for putting him out there for that game. The team was playing horrid at the time and you're putting him in there against the Blues???!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Why not play him against Buffalo tomorrow?

If the Sabres got a lead THEY would pull their goalie to make sure they lost :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Once he steps in as a permanent backup and shows he is ready for #1 duty. Then we trade him for help in an area that requires it.

and then what? We see Tuukka carry a heavier load than he should? I`m never opposed to trading if it makes the team stronger, right now, I don`t see Svedberg as anywhere close to being a back up I would trust and if Subban shows he can be a reliable #2 who`s possibly ready for #1 duty, ya better hope the B`s have a solid back up

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Lets see, we already have maybe the best goaltender in the league or of his generation in Tuukka Rask. He already have one Vezina and should have gotten the Calder Trophy as a rookie but were swindled out of it. So unless Subban proves to be even better I'd say deal him, hopefully for a prospect and some picks.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Let him develop, if it works out, trade him.

Subban had a lousy game in St Louis, big stinking deal.

The only thing this does is lower his value in the eyes of fans who don't watch enough hockey and can't get past superficial details.

Subban needs to play games and develop. If he does turn out to be a great goalie, there's no room for him in the Bruins organization because Rask needs a guy who's going to back him up 25 games a year. The days of Andy Moog/ Rejean Lemelin are over unless you're an unlucky team. Everyone with a good goalie rides his skill to 60+ games per season. No more platoons.

Subban, if he becomes valuable should be traded. Funny enough, he'd probably fetch a good price out of Toronto.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Lets see, we already have maybe the best goaltender in the league or of his generation in Tuukka Rask. He already have one Vezina and should have gotten the Calder Trophy as a rookie but were swindled out of it. So unless Subban proves to be even better I'd say deal him, hopefully for a prospect and some picks.

Now there's a good thread topic.
"Is Tukka Rask the greatest goalie of his generation?"
There's the save percentage stat...but there's a lack of playoff success with some pretty strong teams in front of him...
At any rate, his career is maybe half over. Lots of time to see where he takes the Bruins.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Subban had a lousy game in St Louis, big stinking deal.

The only thing this does is lower his value in the eyes of fans who don't watch enough hockey and can't get past superficial details.

Subban needs to play games and develop. If he does turn out to be a great goalie, there's no room for him in the Bruins organization because Rask needs a guy who's going to back him up 25 games a year. The days of Andy Moog/ Rejean Lemelin are over unless you're an unlucky team. Everyone with a good goalie rides his skill to 60+ games per season. No more platoons.

Subban, if he becomes valuable should be traded. Funny enough, he'd probably fetch a good price out of Toronto.

not sure the Leafs have anything I want:laugh:

Ironically, the one guy I think would look really good in a spoked B is Komarov

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
not sure the Leafs have anything I want:laugh:

Ironically, the one guy I think would look really good in a spoked B is Komarov
The leafs always have something they don't want who turns into something great somewhere else.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Now there's a good thread topic.
"Is Tukka Rask the greatest goalie of his generation?"
There's the save percentage stat...but there's a lack of playoff success with some pretty strong teams in front of him...
At any rate, his career is maybe half over. Lots of time to see where he takes the Bruins.

Tuukka has a lost SCF and a has a second round loss at his rapsheet that went seven games. That definitely screams loser to me, so lets deal him so we can get a German goalie named Klomp to backstop us to several Stanley Cup-triumphs in a row. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad