What to do with Malcolm Subban?

Bruinsfolife

Dec 3, 2005
Montreal
I am not trying to judge a player after having played 1 game and getting pulled but here are a couple of thoughts.

Do we really think Malcolm will be as good as PK? Let's be honest here. There have been a few brothers to play in the NHL at the same time and there is always 1 brother who is the best ie: Eric Stall, Wayne Gretzky(lol) etc. I am just not sure if Malcolm will be that good based on what I have seen and I don't like saying that but I still will.

Does Subban have any trade value at this point? Would it be a good time to trade him in the offseason for an asset that we need? (Top 4 d man or top 6 forward) Would he even fetch that? Or do we make Malcolm the backup next year and hope he flourishes to get his trade value up? Tuuka is the man now for years to come so maybe the B`s can swing a deal in the offseason.

What do you say?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
No, he'll never be as good as PK. Goalies make lousy defensemen, on offense his rushing ability would be seriously impeded by his oversize pads, and let's not even talk about getting PK's cannon of a shot out of that paddle.

Oh, and Hockey Hall of Fame goalie Tony Esposito says "Hi!"

Bruinsfolife

Dec 3, 2005
Montreal
No, he'll never be as good as PK. Goalies make lousy defensemen. As for offense, hos rushing ability would be seriously impeded by his oversize pads, and let's not even talk about getting PK's cannon of a shot out of that paddle.

Hahaha That **** made my day. But really though.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
His stock has probably never been lower than it is right now. Keep him and hope he develops enough to get some real time with the big club next year and either increase his value or keep him as the backup and deal Sveddy.

Bruinsfolife

Dec 3, 2005
Montreal
Ok I know there are some exceptions like Esposito. I know you are trying to prove me wrong and I hope you are right, I do. So you are basically saying to give him some time to develop. I suppose there is no urgency to move him and if they do it would obviously have to be at the right time.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Goaltenders take years to develop. Judging a 20 year old keeper on his one game in the bigs is absurd.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
That does sound like the most logical thing to do. I`m just exploring the options right now and you are right, that seems like the only feasible one.

Options? Keep him and let him develop (taking the risk that he develops (or not) into a #1 calibre goalie) OR if a can't say no deal comes along, you take the risk (that he develops into a #1 calibre goalie somewhere else, but you got a decent return on him for the now).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I am not trying to judge a player after having played 1 game and getting pulled but here are a couple of thoughts.

Do we really think Malcolm will be as good as PK? Let's be honest here. There have been a few brothers to play in the NHL at the same time and there is always 1 brother who is the best ie: Eric Stall, Wayne Gretzky(lol) etc. I am just not sure if Malcolm will be that good based on what I have seen and I don't like saying that but I still will.

Does Subban have any trade value at this point? Would it be a good time to trade him in the offseason for an asset that we need? (Top 4 d man or top 6 forward) Would he even fetch that? Or do we make Malcolm the backup next year and hope he flourishes to get his trade value up? Tuuka is the man now for years to come so maybe the B`s can swing a deal in the offseason.

What do you say?

Do nothing...continue to develop

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Let him develop and see how he plays.

It's not worth trading a goalie like him. He has such unique athleticism for a goaltender. You trade him away for scraps and you're looking at Rask for Raycroft pt. II. But we don't make out like bandits this time.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have Rask-Subban be the new Thomas-Rask.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Goalies and defensemen take longer to develop. Takes patience and give him time to develop. He has some very athletic, Tim Thomas like moves but it's clear he needs more time before he's going to be NHL ready.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If we could get a high prospect for him I would trade him, our F/D prospect pool is so thin and I trust Rask can be elite the next 8 years,
trading subban for a D prospect would help us more than having Subban backing Rask for the next 5+ years and I doubt he wants to wait that long.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
If we could get a high prospect for him I would trade him, our F/D prospect pool is so thin and I trust Rask can be elite the next 8 years,
trading subban for a D prospect would help us more than having Subban backing Rask for the next 5+ years and I doubt he wants to wait that long.

There's a great book called "Shogun." I highly recommend it.

One of the interesting themes of the book was the Japanese/Buddhist philosophy of not rushing to judgment or action. As one character said, (paraphrasing) "A hundred million things could happen between now and then. (A character) could die. The world could end. Who knows what can happen in 30 days?"

Who knows what could happen? Subban is very young and very raw, and if you offer him in trade right now, you're getting bupkis. What's the rush? Why not see what happens? If he develops into a stud, then you can get a great return for him. If something happens to Rask (God forbid *spits through fingers to ward off evil*), then you have some insurance.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Keep him and let him develop. His trade value is probably at a low point right now so best to keep him for now. Maybe in a few years Tuukka is struggling or gets injured and Subban is able to step in and make a difference. I'd say he's worth more to us now then what we'd get for in a trade.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Let him spend another year in the AHL, this time as the undisputed starter.

Re-sign as an RFA him to a reasonable two-year one-way contract to be Rask's back-up in 2016-17 and 2017-2018.

Can never have enough good goaltending.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
IIRC, it took TT awhile to reach his potential (probably exceeded his potential at the time). Let him continue to develop unless, as stated by other posters, another offer comes along that you can't turn down.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
PC has him under control for at least one more season. His ML goaltending team is going strong. Svedberg, Johnson, Khudobin, whoever, doesn't matter. Let the kid play in RI with McIntyre next year and we'll see what happens. No rush to make a decision on him. Let him build up his cache with the Baby Bs.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Teach him how to catch :sarcasm:

Judging by the AHL numbers he has been respectable. The Bruins have no longterm option as back up so just let him keep developing. At this point you don't know, maybe he'll bust, maybe he'll be a backup, maybe he'll be a starter and it will take about 5 or 6 years to determine which one.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Echoing what most have said here...

PK's success is completely irrelevant. Malcolm isn't P.K. and P.K. isn't Malcolm. Goaltenders often take quite a while to develop. He's very athletic, and his situational awareness is improving, but he needs more exposure to professional players & game situations, and more feedback from professional-level goaltending advisors. Meanwhile, Sveddy is reasonably inexpensive, and good enough to take some starts here & there.

I've seen Malcolm have some good games and some bad games in Providence. Inconsistency is the hallmark of young athletes. But he's got a great goaltending coach, and there isn't a rush. Meanwhile his value isn't likely enough yet to bother trading him. Keep him in Providence, and extend Svedberg and/or Smith as Tuukka's backup for 2015-16. Then you can re-evaluate him at next season's trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad