Speculation: What to do with Kyle Turris

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I usually expect more like Summer 2013 than anything like the stuff we talk about here. Definitely fun to see these types of discussions though.
no way i would think. if i am not mixed up you are referring to when we picked jones at #4 and signed stalberg (oops) and that was about it.

i expect at the minimum 2 sizable transacations.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
no way i would think. if i am not mixed up you are referring to when we picked jones at #4 and signed stalberg (oops) and that was about it.

i expect at the minimum 2 sizable transacations.

Hope you're right. But yes that was the summer of Nystrom, Hendricks, Cullen, Stalberg, etc. On the heels of getting Jones when we thought we were getting Barkov.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Get Detroit and Philly to bid against each other.
According to some Philly fans - and I agree with them - it wouldn't make sense to acquire Turris. They have Patrick and Frost on the pipeline for #2 and #3 spots soon enough. Kadri or another shorter term center makes a lot more sense for them.

Colorado on the other hand, perhaps? They don't sound like Jost is the answer.

Either way, if we end up with Duchene, I don't really care what the return for Turris is. I will consider the opening center position as part of the return.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Hope you're right. But yes that was the summer of Nystrom, Hendricks, Cullen, Stalberg, etc. On the heels of getting Jones when we thought we were getting Barkov.
that was a pretty dreadful summer.

we were all against those signings at the time too.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Did you guys hear the latest on trade rumours board about on McKenzie saying the Preds are expected I try and move Subban and Turris to clear cap space?

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Did you guys hear the latest on trade rumours board about on McKenzie saying the Preds are expected I try and move Subban and Turris to clear cap space?

That's not exactly what he said. I listened to the "bobcast" where McKenzie talked about that, and all he said was the Preds will try to extend Josi in the summer and they might have to trade some players to shed some salary eventually. He said Turris and Subban could be moved for that reason, but he didn't say the Preds were expected to move them.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-3-episode-18-1.1314684

Around 40:30^^

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That's not exactly what he said. I listened to the "bobcast" where McKenzie talked about that, and all he said was the Preds will try to extend Josi in the summer and they might have to trade some players to shed some salary eventually. He said Turris and Subban could be moved for that reason, but he didn't say the Preds were expected to move them.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/tsn-hockey-bobcast-season-3-episode-18-1.1314684

Around 40:30^^
Right. Others were speculating off of McKenzie's speculation, which seemed slightly off to start with (we don't really need to move either to absorb Josi's raise alone).

Reactions: RickP

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's pretty hilarious that since we got eliminated from the playoffs this same kind of banter has been going on since. The same topics being circled all the time.

We need Preds hockey real fast.
On the bright side, the real answers to all these issues we've been circling are inching closer. 3 weeks til the draft. Just another week after that for the UFA Frenzy. A month from today we'll know all the answers.

And then we can spend the following 2 months circling new topics based on those answers.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
According to some Philly fans - and I agree with them - it wouldn't make sense to acquire Turris. They have Patrick and Frost on the pipeline for #2 and #3 spots soon enough. Kadri or another shorter term center makes a lot more sense for them.

Colorado on the other hand, perhaps? They don't sound like Jost is the answer.

Either way, if we end up with Duchene, I don't really care what the return for Turris is. I will consider the opening center position as part of the return.
And now they have Hayes. So Philly can presumably be scratched off the list of potential suitors.

Although secretly if I'm one of these "suitors" I have to be pretty desperate for a 2C to look at either of these guys. We were that desperate when we got Turris, so it's not like it doesn't happen. But with some of the youngsters coming up in Philadelphia I don't know why they'd want Turris OR Hayes. Hayes strikes me mostly as just a taller Turris anyway. Kind of passive and not a guy who drives anything, will pick up his 50 points if you give him that role and icetime. But I think the lesson I'd take away from the Turris situation is that it might be better to hold and wait for a strong 2C to come around - either from an internal or external source. Because locking in a weaker option on a premium contract is just going to cause you discomfort down the road. Especially once those better options do appear on the radar. Hayes is going to get a contract like Turris', presumably, 6x6 is probably his minimum.

Colorado and Detroit seem like our two best hopes remaining? Carolina maybe. Ottawa or Calgary doubtful.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
What would you want for Turris? I'm thinking just picks and prospects. The pipeline is looking thin and if you sign Duchene, Turris' roster spot and cap is what you are getting.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
And now they have Hayes. So Philly can presumably be scratched off the list of potential suitors.

Although secretly if I'm one of these "suitors" I have to be pretty desperate for a 2C to look at either of these guys. We were that desperate when we got Turris, so it's not like it doesn't happen. But with some of the youngsters coming up in Philadelphia I don't know why they'd want Turris OR Hayes. Hayes strikes me mostly as just a taller Turris anyway. Kind of passive and not a guy who drives anything, will pick up his 50 points if you give him that role and icetime. But I think the lesson I'd take away from the Turris situation is that it might be better to hold and wait for a strong 2C to come around - either from an internal or external source. Because locking in a weaker option on a premium contract is just going to cause you discomfort down the road. Especially once those better options do appear on the radar. Hayes is going to get a contract like Turris', presumably, 6x6 is probably his minimum.

Colorado and Detroit seem like our two best hopes remaining? Carolina maybe. Ottawa or Calgary doubtful.
Buffalo?

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I hope we get stuck with Turris, he rebounds and has an awesome season, and everyone is clamoring for the next big thing: a t-shirt with a gold chain on it.

I hope we get stuck with Turris, he rebounds and has an awesome season, and everyone is clamoring for the next big thing: a t-shirt with a gold chain on it.
I've said this before but I'm hoping to trade Bonino in order to sign Duchene and let turris be our 3c and give him power play time to let him rebound ( which I think he will) to up his trade value for next year.

Reactions: AdmiralsFan24

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I've said this before but I'm hoping to trade Bonino in order to sign Duchene and let turris be our 3c and give him power play time to let him rebound ( which I think he will) to up his trade value for next year.

Bonino is already proven he's a good 3c, I'd rather keep him than bank on Turris coming back and being better than he has been for most of his tenure here.

Reactions: NNCbama

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Bonino is already proven he's a good 3c, I'd rather keep him than bank on Turris coming back and being better than he has been for most of his tenure here.
You have a cheaper younger replacement for Bonino already with Colton Sissons. I think we have enough bottom 6 forwards to lose Bonino and save that cap for Duchene. It would just suck to lose turris for hardly nothing when we gave up our 2nd best prospect at the time for him. Turris has alot to prove this season and I would like to see him prove it here. That's just me though. Its not gonna hurt my feelings if we get rid of him though I want make that clear lol

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
And on top of this, Bonino's deal runs out after just 2 seasons. Which I think is good timing for us. Because Sissons is also entirely able to step into the 3C spot. If we sign Duchene, we have him and Johansen basically forever. Then Bonino/Sissons, Bonino/Sissons, Sissons/Kondelik-or-whatever-prospect-steps-up. Turris at $6M for 5 more years isn't any more useful to us on the 3rd line than he is on the 2nd. Within that timeframe we are going to have to give Ekholm a massive raise too, and if players like Granlund and Smith play well enough to earn new deals with us, then Turris to me still feels like the obvious odd man out.

It still all hinges on actually getting Duchene, though. The more optimistic press clippings I read about the chances of this, the more scared I get that it's not really going to happen, though. It sounds a little too good to be true. o_O

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You have a cheaper younger replacement for Bonino already with Colton Sissons. I think we have enough bottom 6 forwards to lose Bonino and save that cap for Duchene. It would just suck to lose turris for hardly nothing when we gave up our 2nd best prospect at the time for him. Turris has alot to prove this season and I would like to see him prove it here. That's just me though. Its not gonna hurt my feelings if we get rid of him though I want make that clear lol
If it happens, I will just tell myself we traded Girard, Kamenev, and the pick for Duchene. All good. In fact a little deviously good.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If it happens, I will just tell myself we traded Girard, Kamenev, and the pick for Duchene. All good. In fact a little deviously good.

It would make me feel better to think that way but I would also know that it's a misdirection to trick myself into believing Poile didn't throw away Girard for nothing.

I guess it wasn't technically 'nothing' since we do have a Presidents Trophy now.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It would make me feel better to think that way but I would also know that it's a misdirection to trick myself into believing Poile didn't throw away Girard for nothing.

I guess it wasn't technically 'nothing' since we do have a Presidents Trophy now.
I don't think it's anything to worry about. Regardless of the current thought process around here, I don't see Poile making that trade, extending Turris immediately, then trading him for nothing within a two-year span. I also think he sees Bonino's value to the bottom 6. If he doesn'trade Turris for value and we do get Duchene, the most likely is trading Subban for the best value we can get with the least salary returned to us (I still see that being super tough for Poile, I think he really likes PK here; PK himself acknowledged him being the highest-paid guy makes him a natural trade rumor target).

Something to consider with Turris, he's an ideal player to expose in the expansion draft. Veteran player with "leadership skills," decent enough production, some term on his contract (and a cap hit that will help them stay above cap floor), and is from BC.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think it's anything to worry about. Regardless of the current thought process around here, I don't see Poile making that trade, extending Turris immediately, then trading him for nothing within a two-year span. I also think he sees Bonino's value to the bottom 6. If he doesn'trade Turris for value and we do get Duchene, the most likely is trading Subban for the best value we can get with the least salary returned to us (I still see that being super tough for Poile, I think he really likes PK here; PK himself acknowledged him being the highest-paid guy makes him a natural trade rumor target).

Something to consider with Turris, he's an ideal player to expose in the expansion draft. Veteran player with "leadership skills," decent enough production, some term on his contract (and a cap hit that will help them stay above cap floor), and is from BC.
Who knows what Turris will look like by the time expansion rolls around. He might be Lucic-bad on the cap dump front by then. And we probably have Fabbro from BC exposed too or something horrible. (Protecting Josi, Ekholm, and the Bearded Dwarf).

The bottom line is Poile would be foolish to not see that trading Turris is his best cap-saving move - in the event we need cap space at all - which only happens if we sign a big name UFA - and the only big name UFAs are Duchene and Karlsson - and he's not signing Karlsson. Soooooo. I don't think Poile is particularly foolish. He'll be pulled both directions because he does show loyalty in the face of logic (to our detriment)... he must know the people he employs as human beings or something... but it won't be at all difficult for him to see that trading Turris is our best move if we sign Duchene. Everybody can see that.

The catch will be if nobody wants Turris at all. If his value really is negative, then we're in a bad spot. But we're not really in all that bad a spot no matter what, after all, because signing Duchene is a win. And at least this time we have a fallback option. Before we signed Bonino and traded for Turris, THAT's when our center ice situation was truly desperate. Nowadays it's all just luxury fun times imagining that we could further upgrade our embarrassment of riches by signing Duchene and trading Turris. That would be awesome for us, but it's not remotely a situation of desperation. It's just fun to hope for.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Who knows what Turris will look like by the time expansion rolls around. He might be Lucic-bad on the cap dump front by then. And we probably have Fabbro from BC exposed too or something horrible. (Protecting Josi, Ekholm, and the Bearded Dwarf).

The bottom line is Poile would be foolish to not see that trading Turris is his best cap-saving move - in the event we need cap space at all - which only happens if we sign a big name UFA - and the only big name UFAs are Duchene and Karlsson - and he's not signing Karlsson. Soooooo. I don't think Poile is particularly foolish. He'll be pulled both directions because he does show loyalty in the face of logic (to our detriment)... he must know the people he employs as human beings or something... but it won't be at all difficult for him to see that trading Turris is our best move if we sign Duchene. Everybody can see that.

The catch will be if nobody wants Turris at all. If his value really is negative, then we're in a bad spot. But we're not really in all that bad a spot no matter what, after all, because signing Duchene is a win. And at least this time we have a fallback option. Before we signed Bonino and traded for Turris, THAT's when our center ice situation was truly desperate. Nowadays it's all just luxury fun times imagining that we could further upgrade our embarrassment of riches by signing Duchene and trading Turris. That would be awesome for us, but it's not remotely a situation of desperation. It's just fun to hope for.
If his value is as low to suggest nobody may want him, how is he going to be our best cap-saving move? Little chance we don't take an equally bad contract back or give up a really valuable asset to move him in that scenario.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If his value is as low to suggest nobody may want him, how is he going to be our best cap-saving move? Little chance we don't take an equally bad contract back or give up a really valuable asset to move him in that scenario.
That's the question... is his real value right now a tiny positive, zero, or negative? Zero, yes we should be willing to trade him for zero if we sign Duchene. Negative? Hm, I'm not down with that... at least, not without knowing what alternative options we have. Nobody knows the answer at this point. So all we can do is throw our thoughts against this wall. In 4 weeks we should know the answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad