Speculation: What to do with Kyle Turris

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If no one wants turris and his value is at a negative then you go to the next option and thats trading Bonino. Move Turris down to 3c to play along with smith and a left winger and give him power play time. When he gets 40+ points being a 3c then his value will go up and teams that need a 2c will more than likely make a trade for him wishing they would of made the trade when he was cheaper.

——————————

This is exactly where I think Poile would go. Bonino has more trade value but Turris has more upside and we need a different approach to our 3rd line. Regardless of whether we land Duchene or not, I think Bonino is gone.
Bonino is indeed the next obvious target since we already have Sissons as a perfectly viable #3C also. However I don't think we NEED any different approach on the 3rd line... Bonino had a fine season and outscored our #2C while being the biggest plus player on the team, so whatever he was doing was perfectly fine. The only catch is depending on where the final cap number and the Duchene/Sissons/Grimaldi contracts land, clearing his $4.1M might not be quite enough. It'll be tight anyway.

Whether Bonino has more or less value than Turris, I also don't know. All this external noise about Turris having negative value is not really something I buy. Fans often get carried away with the recency bias thing moreso than NHL GMs. So even the premise of needing to change gears to dealing Bonino, while logical, may be faulty to begin with.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
On today's random thought with Maplepred:

Why not just make a move like Philly did for Hayes?

Trade a fifth for the rights to Duchene, then sign the guy and work out a deal for Turris? Columbus knows he is not resigning so a fifth is better than nothing.
The CBJ fan I know, I'm looking at you Viqsi, think Dutch is re-signing...But that's an odd thinking if your draft stock has been decimated and you could get picks for guys who are leaving anyway. The Bond Villain is being stubborn.
I'm not sure if he's re-signing, but I'm quite certain JK is making a major effort to do so.

And "stubborn" is putting it mildly. JK is asking pretty high prices for rights trades. The rumor (which I can't find a link for offhand, alas) is that for Panarin/Bobrovsky he's asking for two 2nds. Yeah, I know. :scared:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
On the topic of thinking about backup plans for Duchene... I wonder if there is anybody else that is a "Fenton pick" in our organization? Assuming the Wild aren't planning to contend, you have to think that they'll be moving impending UFA Mikko Koivu at some point this year...

He might not be any better than Turris... but... he certainly has more of a track record with Granlund. He's better defensively too of course. He also presumably brings leadership (captain).

Fenton wasn't unwilling to trade within the division before. And Koivu really would just be sort of like a rental for us... we almost certainly wouldn't be looking at signing him past this season. But I'd rather have him in place from Day 1 than try to pick anybody up at the deadline again. That hasn't paid any dividends lately.
Granlund-Koivu-Arvidsson
Forsberg-RyJo-Turris
?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm not sure if he's re-signing, but I'm quite certain JK is making a major effort to do so.

And "stubborn" is putting it mildly. JK is asking pretty high prices for rights trades. The rumor (which I can't find a link for offhand, alas) is that for Panarin/Bobrovsky he's asking for two 2nds. Yeah, I know. :scared:

Actually....that seems right to me. A 2nd each yes.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Was listening to Ottawa sports radio and shocked to hear Turris still still hosts a golf tournament in Ottawa.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
It was for the special needs hockey team, the Condors, that he has been involved with. Also, according to his wife, via her podcast with Ekholm's WAG, they still have a house in Ottawa, where they spend the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad