Confirmed with Link: What to do With Iafallo / Update: Iafallo re-signed 4 years, 16 million

What to do with Iafallo

• Total voters

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
He wins a lot of f'ing pucks. A LOT. He's really impressed me this season after a relatively slow start. Good compliment for an aging Kopitar. Let AI take the puck, zone entry, back off the defense with speed, curl back and use his body to shield the puck from the defender, wait for Kopi and give him the puck, start the cycle. It's part of how that line dominates possession.

Token

May 15, 2019
He shapes his own surfboards and drives around the country living in a van despite being a millionaire. I love this guy. That might all be a problem if he were lazy or uncommitted on the ice, but he works his tail off!
You wash your mouth! It is a snazzy Jeep!

upload_2021-2-25_9-5-55.jpeg

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
He's not likely to sign a 2 year deal. This is his chance to get paid.

You're probably 100% right...but I want to see if this guy turns into a Trevor Lewis for us...a speedy, character guy who has the Kings logo tattooed on his butt. Maybe he is, maybe he's not. If he is, keep him around for many years...if he's not, good luck, he's not a franchise-level, must-keep, last-piece-of-the-puzzle player.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I think it depends on where the kings are at playoff time. Right now we are in the playoffs. You don't trade ur top lw when ur in a playoff race
Like to see Kempe be given the ample time as Yafallo playing with Kopi-Star and see who was the top LWinger on the Kings,same goes for Athanasiou! At best Yafallo is 3rd best LWinger

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Alex is likely looking for his big payday and his value may never get higher than it is now.
Hope they don't sign Yafallo long term or to big bucks because in a few years time he'll have lost a step and he doesn't speed to lose!As a 3rd liner OK! There are better options on the Kings now and for the future

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Now on pace for 27 goals, 59 points.

All i ever hear is that he was on pace here and is on pace there but i never see him reaching anything.
At games like vs the Wild, we need someone from the 1st line to take over a game.
And this is where he is absolutely invisible.
Sure, he scores the 6-1 and 7-1 here and there but never the 1-0 or 1-1
This guy plays his whole career top minutes beside Kopitar and never cracked the 20 goal mark.
He has the perfect abilities and mind set for a great 3rd liner.
Give him 3 mill with 3-4 years and we are good. Everything beyond that would be massive overpay

Reactions: Rorschach

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
All i ever hear is that he was on pace here and is on pace there but i never see him reaching anything.
At games like vs the Wild, we need someone from the 1st line to take over a game.
This guy plays his whole career top minutes beside Kopitar and never cracked the 20 goal mark.
Give him 3 mill with 3-4 years and we are good. Everything beyond that would be massive overpay
I just find it so strange that hes stapled to Kopitar no matter what. Has he taken a single shift with any other center at even strength in his entire career? I cant recall it if it happened.
The inverse can be true also though. Kopitar looked flat the last 3 games and Iafallo had a little more jump. Why not try him with Vilardi or Lizotte to try and get things going. They even juggled some lines a little but nope these two must be conjoint at all times.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I just find it so strange that hes stapled to Kopitar no matter what. Has he taken a single shift with any other center at even strength in his entire career? I cant recall it if it happened.
The inverse can be true also though. Kopitar looked flat the last 3 games and Iafallo had a little more jump. Why not try him with Vilardi or Lizotte to try and get things going. They even juggled some lines a little but nope these two must be conjoint at all times.

I would like to see Kempe-Kopitar-Brown for a few games. Iaffalo-Vilardi-Carter

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

You're going to blame him for Covid now?

He scored the first goal vs. the Yotes a week ago. Short memory.

He's been on pace for at or over 20 for the last two years.

No, he's not going to be the guy to take over a game--blaming Iafallo for that is foolhardy. Look at Kopitar, Vilardi for that. As shown earlier, top sixes aren't as loaded with gamebreakers as you're trying to make it seem.

Agreed on salary.

Reactions: Statto

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Iafallo is one of our only possession drivers, a lot of the opportunities of that first line come from his work. Brown isn't doing so well this year by accident, AI has had a big hand in that. He's also one of the only forwards that can get his shot through consistently, the only forward that seems better at this is Carter. He's gonna get 4-4.5 and I would be good with that.

Reactions: YP44

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Iafallo is one of our only possession drivers, a lot of the opportunities of that first line come from his work. Brown isn't doing so well this year by accident, AI has had a big hand in that. He's also one of the only forwards that can get his shot through consistently, the only forward that seems better at this is Carter. He's gonna get 4-4.5 and I would be good with that.
you'd be a fool to be good with this.. Both TT and TP were and still is in TT's case a better player than AI so i'd be pretty pissed if we gave a future third liner anything above $4. Lets also not pretend that both Brown and Iafallo dont get where they are without Kopitar who absolutely draws all the defensive atention on that line.
With that said, I dont get why we keep having this discussion. If he resigns fined, if he gets traded in a package for an outstanding player then even better.. at the end of the day, he was a great signing by our scouting staff along with Lizotte, Strand, Cal and whoever else we get.. which we will

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
you'd be a fool to be good with this.. Both TT and TP were and still is in TT's case a better player than AI so i'd be pretty pissed if we gave a future third liner anything above $4. Lets also not pretend that both Brown and Iafallo dont get where they are without Kopitar who absolutely draws all the defensive atention on that line.
With that said, I dont get why we keep having this discussion. If he resigns fined, if he gets traded in a package for an outstanding player then even better.. at the end of the day, he was a great signing by our scouting staff along with Lizotte, Strand, Cal and whoever else we get.. which we will

How is Pearson better than Iafallo? Look at these numbers in the past three seasons:

27 points, 45 points, 9 points currently in 25 games.
vs.
33 points, 43 points, 13 points currently in 20 games.

Which numbers look better to you?

Reactions: VILARGOD

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
I think Iafallo is a very important piece going forward for LA. Right now he is arguably the best LW on this team and once all those young centers like Turcotte and Byfield graduate to the NHL, Iafallo is the perfect type to have on their wing due to his smart play, great work ethic and ability to put up 20g 50p in 82gp and in general he just makes his linemates life so much easier. That's why I would even overpay him if needed, I'd be happy to give him 4-5m for 4-5 years as LA shouldn't be struggling with cap for quite a while.

Turcotte - Kopi - Brown
Iafallo - Byfield - Athanasiou
Kempe - Vilardi - Carter

maybe something like that for next year, just to give an idea how useful it might be to have a good reliable veteran in every line next to those young guys.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
How is Pearson better than Iafallo? Look at these numbers in the past three seasons:

vs.

Pearson is actually a really good comparable, they are really close. Iafallo is a little better on the boards and defensively. Plus, his numbers are improving every season, Pearson has been more down of late. Pearson makes 3.75M, Iafallo is more in the 4+ range.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

vs.

Pretty sure I put is/was in my comment.. Was a better player pre-injury and signed a sub $4 mill deal, Toffoli is a better player and look what he got. Keep in mind that teams are against the cap and will continue ot be in the offseason so he's unlikely to have much demand at $4-4.5 mill per season

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Pretty sure I put is/was in my comment.. Was a better player pre-injury and signed a sub $4 mill deal, Toffoli is a better player and look what he got. Keep in mind that teams are against the cap and will continue ot be in the offseason so he's unlikely to have much demand at $4-4.5 mill per season

I don't know if Pearson was better than Iafallo pre-injury. His best season was 44 points in 80 games, Iafallo has hit 43 in 70 games. Yea, Iafallo is stapled to Kopitar but Pearson saw a lot of time with a prime Carter, who is no slouch. Carter was our leading scorer during Pearson's best season. They are almost perfect comparables. If you take that contract Pearson signed back in 17-18 and adjust for the current cap you get: $4.1M. That's about Iafallo's value.

Toffoli is a better scorer for sure, and I think he's more valuable than Iafallo. Remember his contract was signed in the middle of the pandemic. Under normal economic circumstances he probably gets $5M+.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't know if Pearson was better than Iafallo pre-injury. His best season was 44 points in 80 games, Iafallo has hit 43 in 70 games. Yea, Iafallo is stapled to Kopitar but Pearson saw a lot of time with a prime Carter, who is no slouch. Carter was our leading scorer during Pearson's best season. They are almost perfect comparables. If you take that contract Pearson signed back in 17-18 and adjust for the current cap you get: $4.1M. That's about Iafallo's value.

Toffoli is a better scorer for sure, and I think he's more valuable than Iafallo. Remember his contract was signed in the middle of the pandemic. Under normal economic circumstances he probably gets $5M+.

flat cap will impact Iafallo's contract too. When Pearson was signed it was done with belief cap would continue to rise.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

I think the bolded still applies as teams find themselves in a massive cap crunch that'll carry over into the office.. I dont think any GM gives himm $5M+ per year, he doesnt have the skillset to warrant that, you also just need to look at our pipeline to realize that Kaliyev, Byfield, Turcotte and Madden are knocking on the door next season so are you willing to pay $5M+ for a soon to be 3rd liner? also add Vilardi to teh mix because he might move to the wing. Add even more to this if Brown finishes the year strong, i'd rather keep him on Kopitar's wing over AI.
The issue isnt really monies but rather his place/role on this team as soon as next season. This pandemic has put our prospects on an accelerated development path by affording them time in the AHL .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad