Confirmed with Link: What to do With Iafallo / Update: Iafallo re-signed 4 years, 16 million

What to do with Iafallo

• Total voters

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I just find it so strange that hes stapled to Kopitar no matter what. Has he taken a single shift with any other center at even strength in his entire career? I cant recall it if it happened.
The inverse can be true also though. Kopitar looked flat the last 3 games and Iafallo had a little more jump. Why not try him with Vilardi or Lizotte to try and get things going. They even juggled some lines a little but nope these two must be conjoint at all times.
Because Kopitar wants him there. Kopitar is not an easy guy to play with, you have to be willing to play in close proximity to him, recover loose pucks and be comfortable maintaining possession over looking for quick shots. Not a lot of guys can or want to do that.

Reactions: Token and Schmooley

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
flat cap will impact Iafallo's contract too. When Pearson was signed it was done with belief cap would continue to rise.

I think it will to some extent, but not nearly as much as it would have last year. I just got a STH advertisement today, they are already anticipating sales ramping up. The Kings have lucked out with the timing on all this. If they can get guys a little under market when the cap rises again they will have a little extra cushion.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think the bolded still applies as teams find themselves in a massive cap crunch that'll carry over into the office.. I dont think any GM gives himm $5M+ per year, he doesnt have the skillset to warrant that, you also just need to look at our pipeline to realize that Kaliyev, Byfield, Turcotte and Madden are knocking on the door next season so are you willing to pay $5M+ for a soon to be 3rd liner? also add Vilardi to teh mix because he might move to the wing. Add even more to this if Brown finishes the year strong, i'd rather keep him on Kopitar's wing over AI.
The issue isnt really monies but rather his place/role on this team as soon as next season. This pandemic has put our prospects on an accelerated development path by affording them time in the AHL .

I meant $5M for Toffoli, I'd never pay AI that, I'm not that nuts. But that last part makes me wonder how TM is going to structure the lines. Tyler Johnson, for example, isn't a first line winger, yet he plays there. He's better but not that much better than Iafallo. Take him out of TBL's system and he probably puts up numbers similar to AI.

I also think that Kaliyev, etc. are a few years away from being impact guys, and they are going to have to prove they can push guys out of the top lines if they are going to take their places.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I meant $5M for Toffoli, I'd never pay AI that, I'm not that nuts. But that last part makes me wonder how TM is going to structure the lines. Tyler Johnson, for example, isn't a first line winger, yet he plays there. He's better but not that much better than Iafallo. Take him out of TBL's system and he probably puts up numbers similar to AI.

I also think that Kaliyev, etc. are a few years away from being impact guys, and they are going to have to prove they can push guys out of the top lines if they are going to take their places.
Kaliyev got called up one game and scored a goal. For a goal scorer isnt that how you prove you deserve a spot?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

I think the guys we have now like JAD, Tonka, Lias, Wags, Lizotte, Amadio, Moore and likely a vet or two will make up the bottom 6 next season.. I'll say 2, maybe 3 of Byfield, Turcotte, Madden, Kaliyev and maybe Thomas likely make the team next season and they ain't playing on the bottom 6. Its just a numbers game really and I just think its more complicated than some realize when it comes to evaluating Iafallo.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Because Kopitar wants him there. Kopitar is not an easy guy to play with, you have to be willing to play in close proximity to him, recover loose pucks and be comfortable maintaining possession over looking for quick shots. Not a lot of guys can or want to do that.
I dont think its that Kopitar wants him there but rather to your point, other than he and Brown, no other Kings player has that grinding , crash the net mentality.. Maybe Tonka but he's still green.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Tyler Johnson, for example, isn't a first line winger, yet he plays there. He's better but not that much better than Iafallo. Take him out of TBL's system and he probably puts up numbers similar to AI.

It's funny you say that cause Iafallo has actually outscored TJ over the past 2 seasons and combined over the past 3 seasons despite TJ playing on the top line with a much higher scoring team. Your point does make sense about line number not being as important, just thought it was funny.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
It's his pedigree - or lack of one - isn't it? He's been good. I hope that one day one of our young draftees (or a trade addition) supplants him in the #1 left wing spot. But that hasn't happened yet, and he's not a problem.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I dont think its that Kopitar wants him there but rather to your point, other than he and Brown, no other Kings player has that grinding , crash the net mentality.. Maybe Tonka but he's still green.
I guarantee you that Anze called that shot.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Todd McLellan has said on more than one occasion of Iafallo that he's a player "guys want to play with"

I'm assuming that's not just an expression.

Reactions: lumbergh

Soapdodger

Dec 31, 2007
If not for the expansion draft I would sign Iafallo to a 3 year deal around 4 million per season.
He is a good guy to have around for now but will be replaceable in a year or two.
Ideally I would trade him at next years trade deadline unless we are very close to a playoff stop.
Unfortunately there is the expansion draft and therefore I wouldn't sign him before that.
We will most likely miss the playoffs and I believe the price for Iaffalo will be quite high at the deadline.
So grab a future asset, give Grundstrom his current stop and see how it goes.
After the expansion draft you can sign him as an UFA.

Reactions: apocalypse

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If not for the expansion draft I would sign Iafallo to a 3 year deal around 4 million per season.
He is a good guy to have around for now but will be replaceable in a year or two.
Ideally I would trade him at next years trade deadline unless we are very close to a playoff stop.
Unfortunately there is the expansion draft and therefore I wouldn't sign him before that.
We will most likely miss the playoffs and I believe the price for Iaffalo will be quite high at the deadline.
So grab a future asset, give Grundstrom his current stop and see how it goes.
After the expansion draft you can sign him as an UFA.
Or you lose him as a UFA... if we let him become a UFA he’s free to test the market and at that point why wouldn’t he? The GM’s also tend to work within certain ethical framework which is why I doubt we see the same tactic taken with other UFA’s across the league. It’s why we don’t see a slew of offer sheets each year even if the rules allow it.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Todd McLellan has said on more than one occasion of Iafallo that he's a player "guys want to play with"

I'm assuming that's not just an expression.

That's because he has all the coolest toys at his house and his mom lets him stay up until 9:30.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Some people here need a reality check

We signed an undrafted player straight out of the NCAA for free, He slotted onto first line wing straight out of camp to play with Kopitar and Brown who both had career years that year. In 3 years hes progressed to a reliable 50pt 1LW whos 4th on the team in scoring as we speak, plays PP & PK and is defensively reliable. And all that for a future contract in the 4M range?

Some people here will never be happy unless he dekes his way through 7 players on every goal then drops off their grandmas shopping on the way home from the rink.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Bumping this one because Im curious to see how his supporters think hes playing this year? Some like to say how great he is when he gets a goal and youre stupid to think hes not good. And then dont talk about it when he doesnt look good which has been this whole season besides maybe 5 games he played well.
What you guys think how does he look this year? Like a top line player and part of the next leadership group?

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
If Iafallo is a potential trade chip at the deadline, what would the Kings want from Toronto?

I'd push for LW prospect Rodion Amirov, a former 1st rounder from 2020. I'd also give the Leafs our 3rd round 2021 pick. So Iafallo + 2021 3rd for Amirov. Close?

And this is especially true if the Kings can't sign IA for an unlimited term (3-8 yrs) at 4M per.

Last edited:

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
try to trade him at the deadline, if you cant get a late first or good prospect keep him. re-sign after the expansion draft at 3-3.5

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Some people here need a reality check

We signed an undrafted player straight out of the NCAA for free, He slotted onto first line wing straight out of camp to play with Kopitar and Brown who both had career years that year. In 3 years hes progressed to a reliable 50pt 1LW whos 4th on the team in scoring as we speak, plays PP & PK and is defensively reliable. And all that for a future contract in the 4M range?

Some people here will never be happy unless he dekes his way through 7 players on every goal then drops off their grandmas shopping on the way home from the rink.

No. We need to trade away our productive players so we can collect picks. This way our rebuild lasts 20 years.

Reactions: lumbergh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad