Confirmed with Link: What to do With Iafallo / Update: Iafallo re-signed 4 years, 16 million

What to do with Iafallo

• Total voters

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Haven't you guys noticed Iafallo's progession over the past 3 years? Clearly trending up. I didn't think he was 27 - thought it was more like 25. Also, he put up 43 points in 70 games in 19-20. With 12 more games you'd expect to see him closer to 50 points. He's also been very durable. I'd be open to trading anyone, but it has to be for the right pieces.

One thing Lombardi did really well was add the right pieces at the right time. Then everything unraveled with trades that stretched us thin (Lucic/Sekera) and Voynov was the cherry on top. Hopefully Blake has a clear roadmap of where he wants this team to be in the next couple of years. I'm absolutely thrilled with the last 2 draft years. The best we've ever had....

2017-18Los Angeles KingsNHL7591625121031010
2018-19Los Angeles KingsNHL8215183322-17
2019-20Los Angeles KingsNHL70172643141
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It really is Toffoli/Pearson all over again. The moment one is traded, we're lamenting being short one-two scorers in the top six. Well, no shit, we just traded one.

LOL Toffoli......single handledly killing the Canucks...and Kings fans are going...what? He sucks....that's not possible.....

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
It feels like Iafallo is just having an LA slump like Toffoli and Pearson. The excitement of being new in the NHL is starting to dissipate, being in the LA sun by the beach is getting to his head a bit, not to mention that he's starting to feel some variance that's natural in hockey. I don't think this will be the best season for him, it's at this point in a career that you need to learn the consistency habits that keep you competitive vs. just relying on spunk.

I think if LA starts to get better, Iafallo will get better too. With Toffoli and Pearson, they were young and hot when LA was at it's best, and when they trended downward the team followed, so it was a perfect recipe of getting stuck in the muck. But just like Toffoli and Pearson have shown once they got traded away, Iafallo is a quality NHL player that just needs to grow and adapt.

He'll be fine.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
It hurts losing Toffoli and Pearson - they were my two favorite kids back when I watched them tear it up in Manchester. However, with the direction of this team and the youth movement I think they have gotten a pretty good return (not so much w/ Pearson).

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Not having Fabre and Madden would hurt things in a couple years, but the Kings would have a much stronger lineup with Toffoli and Pearson on the roster. The following lines should have enough NHL quality talent to be a legitimate playoff team.

Kempe Kopitar Toffoli
Iafallo Vilardi Frk
Pearson Carter Brown
Grundstrom Andersson Moore

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
It hurts losing Toffoli and Pearson - they were my two favorite kids back when I watched them tear it up in Manchester. However, with the direction of this team and the youth movement I think they have gotten a pretty good return (not so much w/ Pearson).
Yafallo was one of those players signed out of college because the cupboard was pretty much bare and high draft choices were squandered by Lombardi to continue the "ride"Being blatantly honest he's a 3rd liner! I was hoping to see more of Lias Andersson and Grundstrom to see what they could do with Kopi-Star since it seems the Kings have a handle on what Yafallo can/can't do Offensively

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Not having Fabre and Madden would hurt things in a couple years, but the Kings would have a much stronger lineup with Toffoli and Pearson on the roster. The following lines should have enough NHL quality talent to be a legitimate playoff team.

Kempe Kopitar Toffoli
Iafallo Vilardi Frk
Pearson Carter Brown
Forget the play-offs this Kings team will do nothing!

Reactions: DoktorJeep

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Kempe Kopitar Toffoli
Iafallo Vilardi Frk
Pearson Carter Brown

...and would have been absolutely counter productive.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don't want to just give him away for free, but if someone comes along offering a late first or early second you think about it.
Would Kings consider doing a trade similar to the Goodrow trade? Something like:

Iafallo (50% retained) + STL 2nd/LAK 3rd for COL 1st.

Iafallo is better than Goodrow but doesn't have the extra year at a low caphit.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think it depends on where the kings are at playoff time. Right now we are in the playoffs. You don't trade ur top lw when ur in a playoff race

In pts% they are not currently a playoff team.

In reality, you wouldn't get rid of guys if you're in the playoff race. In theory, if the guy you're talking about is a UFA, and you're staring at probably Vegas in the 1st rd, so likely another sweep, you might want to keep the bigger picture in mind come the deadline.

But yeah, should the Kings stay in the race, few GMs would disrupt team chemistry by dealing someone off the roster. Especially with such an inexperienced roster, and the old guard being kinda skittish themselves.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Alex is likely looking for his big payday and his value may never get higher than it is now.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
With Toffoli and Pearson, they were young and hot when LA was at it's best

giphy.gif

Toffoli & Pearson circa 2014

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Currently tied for 16th in scoring among LWs, ahead of Matthew and Brady Tkachuk, Taylor Hall, Rickard Rakell, Chris Kreider, Zach Parise, Tomas Tatar, etc.

Yet some still bitch about Iafallo, who is making $2.45M and is second in goals and fourth in points on the Kings. Shows how clueless his critics are.
Even though I am one of his critics. I gotta say that you are totally right here.

We as re all guilty of (rightfully) wanting more, but we should be happy in realizing that we got all the savings of the bargain. be without the overinflated prices of name brand.
Sure we hide the box when our friends come over, but if we already have it served and ready to go, they'll hardly know the difference

Reactions: lexlavender

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Currently tied for 16th in scoring among LWs, ahead of Matthew and Brady Tkachuk, Taylor Hall, Rickard Rakell, Chris Kreider, Zach Parise, Tomas Tatar, etc.

Yet some still bitch about Iafallo, who is making $2.45M and is second in goals and fourth in points on the Kings. Shows how clueless his critics are.
You think hes better than the tkachuks, hall, rakell and kreider?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
You think hes better than the tkachuks, hall, rakell and kreider?

That's quite the leap there. I don't think anyone thinks that, especially with regards to the Tkachuks and Hall. Rakell and Kreider, maybe. But that's not the point of that post at all. The point is that he's more productive than they are this season at a fraction of the price.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
He’s putting up better numbers than them thus far. What does that say about Iafallo and your judgement of his performance?
It says im a bad judge. It also hints that he plays with better players. If you watch the other players games they have a bigger impact when they are on the ice.
I dont hate iafallo and actually want him resigned. I just think he doesnt have the jump this year as he had previously. But the number dont lie i suppose.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
That's quite the leap there. I don't think anyone thinks that, especially with regards to the Tkachuks and Hall. Rakell and Kreider, maybe. But that's not the point of that post at all. The point is that he's more productive than they are this season at a fraction of the price.
I wonder if his next deal remains at a fraction of the price.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I stand by re-signing him. He's one of the only players we have in that age bracket that can perform. Depends on the deal, but if you can lock him in under $5 million for a few years, I say do it. At the very least, he would be one of the best third-liners in the league.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I wonder if his next deal remains at a fraction of the price.

Maybe. Here are those players' current salaries and years remaining (excluding Brady Tkachuk, who is still on his ELC):

Hall: 1 year, $8 million
Tkachuk: 2 years, $7 million
Rackell 2 years, $3.7 million
Kreider: 7 years, $6.5 million

If we can sign him for under $4 million, that would be a nice contract for us. Comparable contracts for Iafallo's current deal are guys like Jimmy Vesey, Tobias Rieder, Devin Shore, and Joel Armia, and Iafallo is so far above those guys in terms of play and results.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Maybe. Here are those players' current salaries and years remaining (excluding Brady Tkachuk, who is still on his ELC):

Hall: 1 year, $8 million
Tkachuk: 2 years, $7 million
Rackell 2 years, $3.7 million
Kreider: 7 years, $6.5 million

If we can sign him for under $4 million, that would be a nice contract for us. Comparable contracts for Iafallo's current deal are guys like Jimmy Vesey, Tobias Rieder, Devin Shore, and Joel Armia, and Iafallo is so far above those guys in terms of play and results.
Yea under 4 would be great. Even 4-4.5 million wouldnt be unreasonable.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Iafallo is the type of guy who brings good beer to the party, will eat whatever is left in the chip bowl after all the divas grabbed the perfect dipping ones and will stick around to help you clean up after others leave.

Not everyone can be a pretty guy like Laine and have the jerk personality to go along with it. You need guys like this on the team as long as they are priced right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad