Confirmed with Link: What to do With Iafallo / Update: Iafallo re-signed 4 years, 16 million

What to do with Iafallo

• Total voters

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
He's struggled in the last stretch of games for sure, but that's a bit premature. Every young player goes through down patches... heck, even great players do. People LOL at Kopitar's annual January/February slumps.

Vilardi has played 47 NHL games with a .47 ppg. That's right around 40pts in a 82-game season. If he had 40 pts in his rookie NHL season, I think a lot of people would be excited about his future.
I called for him to get 30 pts! Don't get me wrong I like Vilardi but he's too slow and isn't a great skater! Peddle him while he's worth something,we have a lot of great skaters coming from the "Farm"?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I was overlooking the typo on the name as I was unsure if it was some joke that went over my head, but you lost me at "ridden this coattails like Dusty". Brown has played the most games in franchise history and is a saint.

I am team pro Vilardi but if Buffalo was willing to deal their 2022 first unprotected I would have to think about it.
Most games? Has a an average of 40 pts per season for his career alongside Kopitar! Without Kopi,Brown's a 3rd liner and has had seasons where he was terrible,one of the reasons they took away the captaincy,that and he can't lead

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I was overlooking the typo on the name as I was unsure if it was some joke that went over my head, but you lost me at "ridden this coattails like Dusty". Brown has played the most games in franchise history and is a saint.

I am team pro Vilardi but if Buffalo was willing to deal their 2022 first unprotected I would have to think about it.
Sometimes I refer to Dusty as Dusty Bottoms

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I definitely agree with your first sentence, $5 mil/yr is too much. As far as accountability, T-Mac keeps playing him. This tells me he either doesn't see an issue or doesn't trust that anyone else on the roster would do better. That's not really an Iafallo issue.

As for the examples, I was more just showing that even top heavy teams use traditional 3rd line and middle 6 guys in their top 6. But your point about Iafallo being stapled to Kopitar, unlike the examples I provided, is fair. I've seen people refer to Iafallo as Kopitar's Pascal Dupuis. Seems fairly accurate but Kopitar likes playing with and they work together. If you can resign him to a decent rate, just keep him with Kopitar as they slide down from top line to 3rd line over the next 4 years. It wont cause cap problems.
How many times during games where the Kings have the puck and they turn it over in the Offensive zone which otherwise would ended with LA scoring had we had two skilled complementary players to go with Kopi-Star! Its why we lose to the teams with the big "Guns"! We don't have enough top level talent/skill...Kubalik...maybe Byfield,Turcotte! Like Kempe with Kopitar

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I would totally agree with that statement if Iafallo would be handled as what you propose.
It will come down to what Iafallo will be asking for. If it's in the 2.5-3 mill range i would be fine and move him to the 3rd line and PK.
As soon as he is asking top line money in the 4+million range i would trade him instantly.

But as you already mentioned. The problem is not Iafallo as a player.
It is that someone like Iafallo has to play top winger.
Our top line players got 1 goal each in the last 10 games
If we can't get any better winger who click with a little bit more offensive and speedy style, we will stay at the bottom for a long time.
Kaliyev and Fagemo actually don't look too bad. I would give each of them a try for a couple of games beside Kopitar
and see what happens. It can't get any worse
I'd be putting Kempe, Grundstrom/Lias with Kopi and see what happens

Reactions: Crownroyal21

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Stutzle is an 02, Vilardi is a 99

It's a pretty big difference. Gabe looked great earlier this year, but he has been beyond awful for awhile now.

Yes, absolutely, but when talking about point paces this forum has a really bad habit of lacking perspective.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Stutzle is an 02, Vilardi is a 99

It's a pretty big difference. Gabe looked great earlier this year, but he has been beyond awful for awhile now.

He has to play with Carter ans AA.
Carter is a lost case. As soon as he gets the puck, he turns it over to the opponent.
AA is a pug hog who doesn't, know how to pass or play with other players.
Not exactly an environment to thrive for a rookie. Consider that and his point output looks like a miracle.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He has to play with Carter ans AA.
Carter is a lost case. As soon as he gets the puck, he turns it over to the opponent.
AA is a pug hog who doesn't, know how to pass or play with other players.
Not exactly an environment to thrive for a rookie. Consider that and his point output looks like a miracle.

I'm not really concerned with Vilardi's point production. The Kings have been an offensive black hole since the end of the Palffy/Robitaille era, even through their glory years there were regular season stretches where the team couldn't score. So it's hard to judge anyone based on offensive statistics.

I am more concerned with the skating (major major issue) as well as the ability to play C effectively in the NHL (that will probably come with time).

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
If you’re gonna say “he plays on the top line which is why he scores so much” you also have to take into account that the Kings’ offense is totally inept. On a decent team Iafallo probably puts up the same numbers from the second line.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
If you’re gonna say “he plays on the top line which is why he scores so much” you also have to take into account that the Kings’ offense is totally inept. On a decent team Iafallo probably puts up the same numbers from the second line.
I highly doubt it. He plays the 20th most minutes among all forwards in the NHL and is glued to an elite playmaking Center in the NHL.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
I called for him to get 30 pts! Don't get me wrong I like Vilardi but he's too slow and isn't a great skater! Peddle him while he's worth something,we have a lot of great skaters coming from the "Farm"?
Uh terrible idea

Reactions: Oof

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
In an ideal situation he gets signed for a reasonable term and AAV. If not he will be moved and we will know in the next day or so. AI is not a problem on this team, the only real debate is around what his value is going to be in years 2,3,4... etc of that deal. In some respects I don’t care what he gets as long as it doesn’t affect the ability to start signing young players to new deals.Given the big names won’t be burning a year of the ELC this season it doesn’t really matter if they slightly over pay him as we’d have the cap room to do it.

Given the flat cap I think his market value is affected and if he hits the market he won’t get what he really wants from a decent side. However, if we need to overpay by .5m AAV to keep him and make sure there is a solid structure for the young players to come into, it’s a ‘so what?’ and I would only move him if he’s asking for silly money.

Reactions: Oof and Schmooley

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't see a scenario where they get the nearly ready made player they desire (Top 4 LHD or Middle six LW) without adding to the deal themselves, so I would happily take a late 1st, and use it (along with other stuff) to acquire the above player in the summer.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

If he goes to a team like Toronto, he's playing with Matthews and Marner or Tavares and Nylander, so his production might even improve.

Reactions: Bandit

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
AI is the kind of player east coast fans will say is great after finally watching him.

He’s a solid player all around. Not a game breaker but underrated for sure.

It's like Muzzin.

NO way we give up even a 1st for a mediocre #3-#4 dman

1 week passes

lol stupid LA, "Is Muzzin the best defensive dman in the league?"

Then everyone here will be bitching he's scoring 50-60 points for the Canes and lamenting the weird hole at LA's #1 LW

Book it now beacause I'm just going to copy-and-paste "i f***ing told you so" hundreds of times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad