Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Oooopppppss I did forget the :sarcasm: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It was shot at the posts I had to read about how great the K will be for his development .... It's like going back to racing donkeys to teach you to get better at racing thoroughbreds.

His puck possesion stats are :laugh:able, sure he holds the puck a couple dipsy doodles and it goes nowhere or to the other team.

Corsi isn't puck possession as a measurement of the puck on your stick.
It's shot attempt differential that has a casual relationship puck possession time.

It's not important for puck possession, dipsy-doodles, or even outshooting, but important in that it predicts outscoring. Players who do not outscore but do out attempt, tend to outscore in the future.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
to his credit, it 'seems' by my eye, his dipsy doodles are actually leading to either a shot or a good pass more often than not (which may not have been the case his first stint).

I'm a fan of his skill and play - but we're at the point right now where he and his line needs to put up some numbers.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
It's not like Copp is playing lights out either. I always find it funny when people complain about a player then suggest they are replaced with someone who is likely worse

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It's not like Copp is playing lights out either. I always find it funny when people complain about a player then suggest they are replaced with someone who is likely worse

I'd guess a lot of it has to do with expectations.

Burmistrov was a much better and effective player when he was last here. He's not repeating his performance.

That hurts and influences opinion.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Burmi was brought in first and foremost as a cost reduction measure in my opinion. In that regard, he continues to meet the GM's objective. If our GM was first and foremost interested in winning, his off season activity would have been very different.

I am pleased to see others discussing Burmi's poor play.

Last edited:

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011

Copp has been playing with garbage all year,and with minimal minutes per game.He may not ever be the answer on the 3rd line but I think he at least deserves a shot or should be sent down to the AHL to help groom the offensive side of his game.He is a solid player who makes the simple plays and in my mind would compliment offensive guys like Armia and Ehlers.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I'm not that disappointed in Burmi he is what he is still needs to learn a lot about the pro game still holds on to the puck to long and has no puck luck, but i have a feeling that one day it's just gonna click and hope when that day come he is still a Jet.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it's time Burmi gets demoted to the 4th line.He has been pretty bad all year.I am a big supporter of his but he just doesn't have the instincts to make solid plays when he is under pressure.He doesn't use his linemates well when he does make a pass it is usually backwards once he has run out of room.It is frustrating to see a guy who has so much natural talent that just isn't able to put it all together.At this point I would like to see Copp get a chance in a more offensive role.Burmi is just not cutting it and he is holding his linemates back from creating offense.

I don't think you are far off. Burmi probably provides most value if you never need or expect him to provide offense. A 4th line of Thor-Burmi-Halischuk can skate, defend, work hard and give you PK time. They could easily give you 10-12 minutes a night and hold their own. If they scored once or twice a month that's just gravy.

GPB

Dec 15, 2015
Did anybody really expect anything more from Burmistrov ? He didn't score when he was here before and he wasn't scoring in the KHL either. Why would things be different now ?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Did anybody really expect anything more from Burmistrov ? He didn't score when he was here before and he wasn't scoring in the KHL either. Why would things be different now ?

He still did some things well.
The Jets out shot and out scored with Burmi on the ice previously, exceptionally well.
He started the season doing terribly in that respect, although he's been a bit better --trending around average-- lately.

TL;DR- He never was a scorer, but he still was effective before. Now he's not, at least to the same degree, that is very disapointing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He still did some things well.
The Jets out shot and out scored with Burmi on the ice previously, exceptionally well.
He started the season doing terribly in that respect, although he's been a bit better --trending around average-- lately.

TL;DR- He never was a scorer, but he still was effective before. Now he's not, at least to the same degree, that is very disapointing.

I am hopeful that he can get back to that player. If he can he is a cornerstone piece on our third line moving forward. If Lowry can rebound/develop and Armia can take this opportunity and run with it, then we might have a solid future third line of

Lowry-Burmie-Armia

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm hopeful of Armia playing higher than 3rd line.

I would be thrilled if he becomes a solid 3rd line winger. Look at his scoring in the AHL. Why would you expect him to score more in the NHL than he has in the AHL?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Copp showed promise earlier on, right now don't think he is as good as Slater which even in itself isn't saying much.

Copp is taking up a roster spot until someone better comes along, his contract cemented his future as a Jet this season, nothing more.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I would be thrilled if he becomes a solid 3rd line winger. Look at his scoring in the AHL. Why would you expect him to score more in the NHL than he has in the AHL?

Sorry if I have high expectations but if a player is drafted 16 overall, I think he should play on the 1st or 2nd line. 2nd rounders are for the third line.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sorry if I have high expectations but if a player is drafted 16 overall, I think he should play on the 1st or 2nd line. 2nd rounders are for the third line.

Where you were drafted should never determine your spot on a team. Spots are earned. Jamie Benn worked his way up the Stars organization as a 5th rounder.
Armia hasn't even scored enough in the A to justify putting him in anything more than a bottom 6 role right now in the NHL. I hope this doesn't turn into another Petan situation. Where Armia is expected to do to much when he gets here and when he doesn't everyone comes up with excuse after excuse for them as to why they can't put up points. I like Armia but lets temper our expectations here a little.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He is in D+5 now. We can safely say he is not going to live up to his draft position. Ever. That doesn't mean he can't be a valuable player. Just don't be disappointed when he never leads the team in scoring. Remember that Burmi was drafted 8th overall. He is never living up to that either.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
He is in D+5 now. We can safely say he is not going to live up to his draft position. Ever. That doesn't mean he can't be a valuable player. Just don't be disappointed when he never leads the team in scoring. Remember that Burmi was drafted 8th overall. He is never living up to that either.

Right now, he just has to live up to a 1.5M / year contract. At this stage, his draft position is irrelevant - that was a draft overseen by another team (though same franchise).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Right now, he just has to live up to a 1.5M / year contract. At this stage, his draft position is irrelevant - that was a draft overseen by another team (though same franchise).

Being a Thrashers pick is irrelevant also. Not all picks perform up to the hopes teams had for them on draft day regardless of who drafted them.

Burmi's development has been very badly handled. He was obviously not ready for the NHL right out of the draft. Atlanta must have been trying to impress fans with future potential but it was clearly a mistake. Its not like he was a 1st OA pick. He was 8th fcs. The 2 years in the KHL has not helped either. Now he has 5 years of development to catch up on. He seems to me to be progressing (slowly) so I can be a little patient as long as he isn't getting in the way of Ehlers' progress.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Where you were drafted should never determine your spot on a team. Spots are earned. Jamie Benn worked his way up the Stars organization as a 5th rounder.
Armia hasn't even scored enough in the A to justify putting him in anything more than a bottom 6 role right now in the NHL. I hope this doesn't turn into another Petan situation. Where Armia is expected to do to much when he gets here and when he doesn't everyone comes up with excuse after excuse for them as to why they can't put up points. I like Armia but lets temper our expectations here a little.

Luckily our expectations don't really mean anything. Armia will get his opportunity based on his play, as will Burmi's role on the team be determined by what he contributes. Draft pedigree buys some opportunity early on, but eventually you get judged by what you do on the ice irrespective of draft position.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Being a Thrashers pick is irrelevant also. Not all picks perform up to the hopes teams had for them on draft day regardless of who drafted them.

Burmi's development has been very badly handled. He was obviously not ready for the NHL right out of the draft. Atlanta must have been trying to impress fans with future potential but it was clearly a mistake. Its not like he was a 1st OA pick. He was 8th fcs. The 2 years in the KHL has not helped either. Now he has 5 years of development to catch up on. He seems to me to be progressing (slowly) so I can be a little patient as long as he isn't getting in the way of Ehlers' progress.

His draft position is irrelevant to me right now, as I'm more concerned with who he is as a player NOW, and what we're paying him for that performance NOW. Why should I care what the Thrashers did with an 8 OA pick - completely irrelevant to me. I'm more concerned with what this version of the franchise is doing with the asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad