What to do with Burmi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I think it's time Burmi gets demoted to the 4th line.He has been pretty bad all year.I am a big supporter of his but he just doesn't have the instincts to make solid plays when he is under pressure.He doesn't use his linemates well when he does make a pass it is usually backwards once he has run out of room.It is frustrating to see a guy who has so much natural talent that just isn't able to put it all together.At this point I would like to see Copp get a chance in a more offensive role.Burmi is just not cutting it and he is holding his linemates back from creating offense.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it's time Burmi gets demoted to the 4th line.He has been pretty bad all year.I am a big supporter of his but he just doesn't have the instincts to make solid plays when he is under pressure.He doesn't use his linemates well when he does make a pass it is usually backwards once he has run out of room.It is frustrating to see a guy who has so much natural talent that just isn't able to put it all together.At this point I would like to see Copp get a chance in a more offensive role.Burmi is just not cutting it and he is holding his linemates back from creating offense.

I'd wait a little longer and see what effect Armia has on that line.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Send him to the Moose. It's not like he could make them worse.

Well we all know he wouldn't make them better!:sarcasm:

If Mo was any kind of coach he would already have Copp on the third line to see what he could do in a more offensive role. Burmi has proven long enough that he can't do squat offensively.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
He needs to get rid of the puck faster. He makes too many moves and then just gets stripped or simply loses possession. He needs to get that puck off his stick sooner.

What to do with Burmi?
Tell him to start counting as soon as he gets hold of the puck. If he ever gets to 3 and still has the puck, he's benched! :popcorn:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Perreault Little Armia
Ladd Copp Stafford
Hali Burmi Thorbs

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Gosh he has been just god awful. I just posted in the finished already thread about him.

I really like his effort, and I really dislike his terrible disastrous play.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The one thing I'll say about Burmi, is that no player looks better accomplishing less. He can skate, he can control the puck but rarely contributes to actual scoring. So far this season he is 0.72 P/60 5-5, on his way to a 17 point season. But no longer is he proving to be a positive possession player. His 46.9 CF% puts him just ahead of Petan at the bottom of the Jets heap. But man he looks good doing all that.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I still think he has been a disappointment overall. He seems less of a player than before.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Thought he played pretty well in both Alberta games. He's another miscast really, if he has a future on this team it's in a 4th line role, no way he should be near a 3rd line role if this team is to improve.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Thought he played pretty well in both Alberta games. He's another miscast really, if he has a future on this team it's in a 4th line role, no way he should be near a 3rd line role if this team is to improve.

Don't want to be harsh but since when is floating playing well, Jets lost both games and scored 2 goals in 2 games. Guys like Burmi who NEVER will score aren't exactly helping.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
what to do? ride out his contract and let him go. right now he's helping the tank. maybe see if you can get a 6th or 7th rounder for him next year, or a career AHLer. nobody's giving anything of value for someone who cannot score more than one goal in 33 games (I'm not counting the empty netter hail mary from the defensive zone goal).

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Don't want to be harsh but since when is floating playing well, Jets lost both games and scored 2 goals in 2 games. Guys like Burmi who NEVER will score aren't exactly helping.

Sip, he didn't score granted but he was far from floating, sorry that's just wrong. I realize he's not really helping, but who did in the last two games? From a scoring standpoint they all sucked, that doesn't mean all of them played ******.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think his time in K really improved his game. Much better player in both ends.

I don't think so.

5 on 5

1G 4A 5 Pts

GF 10 GA 17 GD -7

He's also become a negative possession player. He's been outscored, outchanced, outshot, out attempted

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Thorburn-Burmistrov-Ehlers
GF: 1
GA: 4
Corsi% 51.8
On-Ice sh% 1.79
On-Ice sv% 0.930
PDO 94.8
PD0 (sh% differential) -5.23

While I agree that Thorburn is not optimal for that line, this line hasn't been bad.

The league's average third line tends to get a 49.3% Corsi, so they are actually better than on average, but getting bad luck in sh%.

While neither Thorburn or Burmistrov are snippers, and Ehlers is a rookie, even if we expected them to be among the worst NHL regulars in sh% driving abilities, we'd expect around a 6% on-ice sh% (a number Thorburn and Burmistrov have never dipped below in their career). Normalize their on-ice sh% and we have 5 GF and 4 GA, an outscoring 3rd line, which is above average.

Burmistrov is not nearly as good as he was prior to the KHL in play driving ability, but he's doing better than the start of the season and since a switch to his natural position, this should lead to the Jets outscoring their opponents, and this third line hasn't been terrible. Especially when given how much of their total TOI they spend with the 3rd pair (more than any other line as a %).

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Oooopppppss I did forget the :sarcasm: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It was shot at the posts I had to read about how great the K will be for his development .... It's like going back to racing donkeys to teach you to get better at racing thoroughbreds.

His puck possesion stats are :laugh:able, sure he holds the puck a couple dipsy doodles and it goes nowhere or to the other team.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Thorburn-Burmistrov-Ehlers
GF: 1
GA: 4
Corsi% 51.8
On-Ice sh% 1.79
On-Ice sv% 0.930
PDO 94.8
PD0 (sh% differential) -5.23

While I agree that Thorburn is not optimal for that line, this line hasn't been bad.

The league's average third line tends to get a 49.3% Corsi, so they are actually better than on average, but getting bad luck in sh%.

While neither Thorburn or Burmistrov are snippers, and Ehlers is a rookie, even if we expected them to be among the worst NHL regulars in sh% driving abilities, we'd expect around a 6% on-ice sh% (a number Thorburn and Burmistrov have never dipped below in their career). Normalize their on-ice sh% and we have 5 GF and 4 GA, an outscoring 3rd line, which is above average.

Burmistrov is not nearly as good as he was prior to the KHL in play driving ability, but he's doing better than the start of the season and since a switch to his natural position, this should lead to the Jets outscoring their opponents, and this third line hasn't been terrible. Especially when given how much of their total TOI they spend with the 3rd pair (more than any other line as a %).

Cool. Thanks Garret.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Not much point to trade him, what would you get a 6th round pick? He's not the source of the Jets troubles, I would argue our captain is a much bigger problem.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah Burmi's been alright since moving back to C. He's not the problem. But hey, I understand the need for a scapegoat. Personally, I'd pick a player that really is a net negative, like Stu. But then what fun is scapegoating if your target is actually the problem? :sarcasm:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think given that the year is lost you keep working with him with the hope that you can get him back to the player he was before he ventured overseas. If you can do that he holds value as a third liner to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad