OT: What to do in Edmonton?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
On friday's, the 124th street strip between Jasper and 111th avenue have a multitude of food and bands/single/duo performers on the street. Great atmosphere.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Renos?

I guess they had enough of the psychedelic wallpaper and ceiling chalkboard art.

Edit: as for the duck fat? There's a reason I suggested the OEB for breakfast on the day where they're going to spend 4-6 hours drinking in the sun ;) Gotta make sure you have a good base.

heh, some of this old school stuff is well remembered. Basically any Euro family had years of experience with everything being fried with anywhere from pig, to duck, to turkey to unknown fat. To a hipster this might seem novel. To someone acquainted just the mention of it turns the innerds. Even without the drinking.

Oh, just read the yelp. Man this place comes with a 5 bell hipster alert. I think it was featured on an episode of Portlandia. ;)

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
heh, some of this old school stuff is well remembered. Basically any Euro family had years of experience with everything being fried with anywhere from pig, to duck, to turkey to unknown fat. To a hipster this might seem novel. To someone acquainted just the mention of it turns the innerds. Even without the drinking.

Oh, just read the yelp. Man this place comes with a 5 bell hipster alert. I think it was featured on an episode of Portlandia. ;)

It's mostly old people and recently off-shift hospital workers when I go there (read: as soon as they open on weekend mornings). If you show up at 10:30 am expect a lot of trucker hats and hipster-jacks.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
As someone who's done a ton of travelling, there's a lot to love about Edmonton - it's most of the things marketed as tourist attractions aren't really all that impressive.

If you're into food, Edmonton's restaurant scene has come a long way in recent years. I've had some of the best meals I've had anywhere. If you want to spoil yourself, check out RGE RD or Corso 32. Other great options include Tzin, Bar Bricco, Rostiszado, Tres Carnales, Culina, Meat or Red Ox Inn. For breakfast, I've been to OEB in Calgary multiple times and New York Bagel Cafe holds it own here, though the service can suck at times.

Next Act on Whyte is a fantastic low key pub with good beers, great burgers and reasonable prices. Duchess Bake Shop is a must visit, their stuff is fantastic. Several good coffee spots around too, Transcend being my favourite and they have a few locations in the city.

The Fringe kicks off August 13th until the 23rd and that's always a blast. It's near Whyte so you could grab breakfast at New York Bagel Cafe, check out Whyte for a few hours then head to Next Act for some beer and a burger before hitting the Fringe. Fantastic day right there.

You could get lost in the river valley for hours and not get tired of it. Hawrelak park and the Legislature grounds are both great places to hang out for a day too.

The U of A observatory is open Thursday nights if you happen to be around. It's pretty cool. Fort Edmonton Park is worth a trip and the Muttart Conservatory is interesting if that's your kind of thing too. I'd steer clear of WEM, but to each their own.

I could go on, but from what I can tell I've already easily covered 3-4 days worth of things to do.

I'll have to add to this. I've been to some of the best steak houses in North America and Lux might have the best steak i've ever had. Nothing beats Alberta beef.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
This right here, I might do it because of the scenery: (thanks Cawz)

If you want a nice drive, go from Banff to Jasper through the Icefields parkway. Then east to Edmonton and then south to Calgary before you head home. The drive from Banff to Jasper is one of the most spectacular in Canada. The have a glass walkway overlooking the icefields they just recently built thats pretty cool.

Also, what is this Fringe you guys are mentioning? I did a quick Google Search and it didn't really mention anything.
I'd suggest staying a night in Jasper. Its nicer than Banff. Not nearly as over-developed.

Fringe is awesome. Not sure why Google wouldnt provide info. I've never actually went to a show but just took part in the atmosphere. From wiki - The fringe festival is the largest in North America based on indoor ticket sales. In 2014, 118,280 tickets were sold, up from 117,000 in 2013. The 2014 event had over 210 shows and 1,600 performances, with an estimated outdoor site attendance of 665,750.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
I love Mexican food, so recommendations for eats:

1. Tres Carneles
2. Rostizado
3. El Cortez

Also great non-mexican places:
- Blue Plate Diner
- Rigoletto's Cafe

And the live music scene is killer in YEG. Check out this website for list of stuff going on. http://yeglive.ca/

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I love Mexican food, so recommendations for eats:

1. Tres Carneles
2. Rostizado
3. El Cortez

Also great non-mexican places:
- Blue Plate Diner
- Rigoletto's Cafe

And the live music scene is killer in YEG. Check out this website for list of stuff going on. http://yeglive.ca/

Just a pet peeve but why do people always rank Blue Plate Diner so high? Its run of the mill establishment that has gotten progressively worse and the only people that rank it high are patrons that have gone for years and love the place. Its yelp ratings are a mediocre 3.5 and with plenty of recent bad reviews.

The just is that Blue plate is overpriced, basically just a diner making it even more unreasonably priced and a place where you will pay 20bucks for a small patty burger with substandard fries and that's it. Theres just no way Blue Plate Diner should be suggested as a best of Edmonton, or "great" recommendation. Although if you like hipsters, rude service, bland overcooked food could be the place..

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Just a pet peeve but why do people always rank Blue Plate Diner so high? Its run of the mill establishment that has gotten progressively worse and the only people that rank it high are patrons that have gone for years and love the place. Its yelp ratings are a mediocre 3.5 and with plenty of recent bad reviews.

The just is that Blue plate is overpriced, basically just a diner making it even more unreasonably priced and a place where you will pay 20bucks for a small patty burger with substandard fries and that's it. Theres just no way Blue Plate Diner should be suggested as a best of Edmonton, or "great" recommendation. Although if you like hipsters, rude service, bland overcooked food could be the place..

Again with the Hipsters and Yelp Reviews?

Come on.

Is there any topic we can reasonably discuss on HFOil that won't result in you showing up in the thread and crapping all over it?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Again with the Hipsters and Yelp Reviews?

Come on.

Is there any topic we can reasonably discuss on HFOil that won't result in you showing up in the thread and crapping all over it?

Not at all and I've given my suggestions for things to do in the thread.

But hey, this is a person (and other persons reading) that are asking about what to do. Blue Plate Diner was described as great (its anything but that) and has increasingly mediocre reviews. I've been there myself a couple times and see nothing at all special about it. Many people feel the same way. its just one of those places that had a lot of buzz in the past for some reason.

My approach however is not to make a recommendation of a place when so many reviewers have slammed that place. The chance of people going to Blue Plate and coming away disappointed is pretty significant. Increasingly so. So why on earth offer that up as a must go to place? If I have a friend or relative staying in town I want my recommendation having the most chances that the person will enjoy the establishment. Not that they will be met with bland, overpriced fare served up by rude or completely indifferent waiters.

I would suggest a place like Sabors being more befitting of a can't miss establishment. I even recommended Tin Palace (not as a fine dining establishment but as a quintessential Edmonton thing which it is) But Blue Plate Diner? Poor recommendation.

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
this is so well written, it actually makes me want to go to Cowtown

no one has city pride quite like Calgarians

It's hard not to fall in love with this city.

Thanks. Calgary can be a pretty fun town. Come down and do some of these things. Or better yet, come down for the Labour Day classic and fly your Edmonton flag proudly while you're here.

The bobsleigh thing is really fun and you can do it during the summer, they just put wheels on the sled ;)

I do it every year. My buddy has season tickets, so I'm always surrounded by the same Stampeder fans who just hate me. Not because I'm annoying or abusive or anything as an Eskimo fan in enemy territory. I just cheer for every great play, and the season ticket holders around his seats are all die-hard Stamps fans. Best line I've heard was from some airhead woman, "Oh, yeah? Well we have more fans than you do here!"

Uh, yeah.

Also, Boogie's Burgers > Peter's. There. I said it. Go to Boogie's Burgers OP. It's near OEB on Edmonton trail. Then head to Princess Island Park and stop for coffee or a bite at the Park Cafe. You're already by Eau Claire, so you're near the heart of Downtown. Tonnes to do that tempest already covered.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

I do it every year. My buddy has season tickets, so I'm always surrounded by the same Stampeder fans who just hate me. Not because I'm annoying or abusive or anything as an Eskimo fan in enemy territory. I just cheer for every great play, and the season ticket holders around his seats are all die-hard Stamps fans. Best line I've heard was from some airhead woman, "Oh, yeah? Well we have more fans than you do here!"

Uh, yeah.

Also, Boogie's Burgers > Peter's. There. I said it. Go to Boogie's Burgers OP. It's near OEB on Edmonton trail. Then head to Princess Island Park and stop for coffee or a bite at the Park Cafe. You're already by Eau Claire, so you're near the heart of Downtown. Tonnes to do that tempest already covered.

Agreed. Boogies is the superior burger joint.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
For Calgary rather than recommending particular establishments (different tastes exist0 I find it more conducive to recommend certain areas.

I'm a walker. Love walkable cities, areas. A good downtown Calgary walk is along the Bow. Starting from east, exploring the river, Princes island park, going to Kensington. Also like Inglewood neighborhood. Fish creek is enjoyable. Heritage Park is also worthwhile.

Also like 4th and 17th and exploring those areas and also the Elbow river.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Agreed. Boogies is the superior burger joint.

You just confirmed my point above.

If somebody had recommended Peters (and this would be a outdated recommendation like Blue Plate Diner) of course its reasonable to suggest and reply that something isn't so good and that there are better options. That is what a recommendation thread is all about. About offering the most recommended and advisable options. Not recommending outdated and tired options.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
You just confirmed my point above.

If somebody had recommended Peters (and this would be a outdated recommendation like Blue Plate Diner) of course its reasonable to suggest and reply that something isn't so good and that there are better options. That is what a recommendation thread is all about. About offering the most recommended and advisable options. Not recommending outdated and tired options.

However I didn't go out of my way to specifically trash Peters' products, staff or clientele.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Frankly I have never found Blue Plate Diner to be all that great either, in the few times I have been in there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
However I didn't go out of my way to specifically trash Peters' products, staff or clientele.

That's fair. But same result and same inference that some places are better than others and that recommendations can and should be evaluated.

In anycase nothing wrong imo with point counterpoint on recommendations as occurs in any thread on the internet when these things are being discussed.

Again that's why I stated perhaps its better to stick to recommending neighborhoods, walking districts, activities, options, instead of particular establishments as everybodies tastes in food are different.

As far as citing yelp I find it to be often the best of its type and one that offers ranges of opinions instead of censured opinion.

cheers

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Frankly I have never found Blue Plate Diner to be all that great either, in the few times I have been in there.

If we're being candid about this the love affair with this establishment was furthered by 104st interests, DECL, people that bought in whole to anything 104st represented and who were often hyperbolic about any of the establishments on the street. In otherwords the place had the backing of a lot of motivated hangers on that might even themselves had interests either residential, or commercial, or professional, in the area.
Part of the buzz of Blue Plate was thus due to the cross mingling buzz of talking up 104th street in general. Just the way I see it. For instance on the other board, C2E, you see nonstop hyping of this Diner or anything on 104st. That's a dynamic that is probably deserving of mention for those who are not aware.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
That's fair. But same result and same inference that some places are better than others and that recommendations can and should be evaluated.

In anycase nothing wrong imo with point counterpoint on recommendations as occurs in any thread on the internet when these things are being discussed.

Again that's why I stated perhaps its better to stick to recommending neighborhoods, walking districts, activities, options, instead of particular establishments as everybodies tastes in food are different.

As far as citing yelp I find it to be often the best of its type and one that offers ranges of opinions instead of censured opinion.

cheers

NO

Ask any family-owned business. Yelp asks for money to remove bad reviews and to display good ones. It's a racket. If you refuse to pay Yelp, your scores will fall.

Urbanspoon was much better but now that it's under new ownership it looks to have lost its appeal as well.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I'm just a little jealous cause I wish more Edmontonians has the same civic pride

Calgarians really think their crap don't stink down there and that Calgary is the greatest thing since sliced bread...and thats ok

we need more cockiness up here cause I love this blue-collar town

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
NO

Ask any family-owned business. Yelp asks for money to remove bad reviews and to display good ones. It's a racket. If you refuse to pay Yelp, your scores will fall.

Urbanspoon was much better but now that it's under new ownership it looks to have lost its appeal as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Yelp was good, I guess that's changed. Urbanspoon often struck me as odd and very pro ranking for everything. Elevated scores. Average scores didn't even seem to match individual reviews on Urbanspoon. Yelp in the past seemed more candid. Urbanspoon also had much more establishment involvement and with owners cross commenting on critiques and having involvement with the site.

Anyway I would never pan an establishment I had not been to. I went to Blue plate twice (too many) times. That's enough for me to gather an opinion combined with the others I hear.

Anyway moving on.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Why anyone in their right mind would make a special 1 1/2 hour trip to go to Vegreville just to see a giant Easter egg is beyond me, but hey, to each his own. I suppose there could also be the attraction of some plastic flamingos on a few lawns too.:laugh:
We had a friend that owned a restaurant in Vegreville so we decided to go there and since we were there visited the Easter Egg. We didn't go just for the Easter Egg. The restaurant unfortunately no longer exists.

JMecc

Oct 19, 2011
Edmonton
Whyte
UofA
If you're a beer fan like me, Sugarbowl, Underground, Pourhouse, Beer Revolution (good food in all of these too)
River Valley
Legislature grounds

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
You can also float in the North Saskatchewan or better yet take a quick trip out to Pembina, I think you can take a bus to an upriver spot and even rent inner tubes to float back down to where you parked.
http://www.pembinarivertubing.com/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad