OT: What to do in Edmonton?

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
Hey guys,

Hope your summer has been going well. In a couple of weeks, a few of my friends and I are going to be driving from Vancouver to Calgary and we're planning on staying in Calgary for a week and a half. We have a couple days already planned out for activities in Banff but I need some ideas on what there is to do and see around in Calgary and Edmonton. Maybe Banff as well.

Any suggestions or places to eat would be nice :) Looking to have a couple of relaxing days in both cities to explore. I posted in both the Flames and Oilers board because maybe it might cater to the local fans living in the city so if it looks like it's a repeat topic, it is but it's to have different ideas from the people living there.

Thanks guys and hope you're enjoying the offseason :)

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
From some one who loves Edmonton, there isn't a lot of top tourist things to do. I would explore the river valley if the weather is nice. Go to Fort Edmonton Park and the Muttart conservatory. I would walk around whyte, great place to grab a beer or a coffee. Walk around downtown, check out the new area district. Check out the new art gallery. ps. Whyte ave is just on one side of the river while downtown is on the other. So you can check out both while checking out the river valley. Have fun.

ps, yes if you can come during the fringe. places to eat on Whye: Meat, Dadeos, The Sugar Bowl.

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Look up what is happening in Edmonton at the time. Festivals and concerts are one way Edmonton stands out as a city.

I'd check out WEM as well even though everyone here hates on it.

Do the stuff suggested above. Also there are some really cool restaurants you can eat at.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
If money is no object, you may also enjoy going to the LaRonde Restaurant downtown. Great food, very attentive service, and magnificent views provided by the rotating dining floor.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
Fringe is starting up soon, it's a much larger fringe than the one in Vancouver, lots of comedy and theatre around the city at all times

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
1. Find a computer with Internet access

2. Get credit card ready

3. Buy plane ticket to somewhere else.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
VISIT

1. West Edmonton Mall - definitely a cool place to check out, lots to do for a visitor. Novelty will wear off when you live in this city, but for an out of towner visiting for the the first time, definitely a place to check out. Waterpark is a must.

2. Legislature - intoxicating visuals/natural beauty overseeing the river valley

3. Check out a show at Winspear/Citadel or Jubilee depending on what is playing

4. Royal Alberta Museum - very interesting museum (and underrated) - can spend half a day there.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...ws-Royal_Alberta_Museum-Edmonton_Alberta.html

5. Muttart Conservatory -
http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_events/muttart-conservatory.aspx

6. Art Gallery of Alberta

7. Whyte Ave - roam about.

8. Fringe festival - if you're in town during that time

9. Edmonton Eskimos CFL football game - check it out for the stadium.

EAT

1. Corso 32 - popular restaurant which is always booked. Need a reservation.

2. Tres Carnales - authentic mexican with rave reviews. Have yet to encounter a place in the Canada/US that is comparable.

http://trescarnales.com/

3. La Ronde - revolving restaurant in the downtown core. Take your queen out here - romantic night out.

http://www.chateaulacombe.com/laronde-restaurant.html

4. Guru - http://gururestaurant.com/ - best east Indian restaurant in the city.

I'm sure others can add more

Enjoy your visit.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
People who say get out of the city are people without imagination.

1.) Ft. Edmonton Park. This is an all day thing. Lots to do for all ages. Make sure you checkout the theater in the old town I forget it's name.
2.) Dinosaur park near Gibbons. Who doesn't like robot dinosaurs. It's very well done.
3.) As others have mentioned check out the appropriate festival for the time of year. Pretty much all summer long there is one festival or another and they are all good in their own right.
4.) Telus science center. You can spend a better part of a day there too.
5.) Valley Zoo. With the recent and ongoing renovations this zoo has new life. For those that only remember it as Storyland Valley Zoo I suggest go see the changes. It's not a big zoo but it's still fun.
6.) Muttart Conservatory. If you like nature, or just plants it's worth a visit.
7.) Tour of the Legislature. Great if you're a history or architecture buff, others might find boring.
8.) There is a company that does Segway tours of the river valley. I've never done it but it does sound like fun.
9.) High Level Bridge and Streetcar. I think this only runs during Fringe Festival but if not it's fun but it's over fast and I don't recommend going out of your way for it. But if your in the area.
10.) Elk Island Park. If you like nature you gotta go to Elk Island. It's beautiful there and not far to go to get there. The Bison are plentiful and easy to find. For people from outside of North America they will never forget this place.

That's off the top of my head . I'll add more if I think of them later.
Don't listen to the wet blankets that say there is nothing to do there is plenty to do if you take the time to turn off your video game and go out in the world.

Have fun.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
A few places to eat/coffee:
Farrow sandwich
Remedey Cafe
Little Brick
Credo
Blue Plate
Dadeo
Underground
Sugarbowl
Pourhouse
Barb and Ernies
Meat
Mercer Tavern

In Calgary, checkout OEB for breakfast, Djner Deluxe beside it is ok as well.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I played a round of discgolf at the Strathcona Wilderness Center this weekend. There is a course in Rundle Park as well I believe. A lot of fun if that's your thing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Checking out the Arena construction has to be mentioned. As well as checking out the Seating, arena suite and presentation area they have opened up (forget what this is called or exactly where it is.)

Would go to Mercers next door knock back a couple. Then explore 104st. If energetic a walk up Jasper all the way to 116st, then take Victoria promenade,(a few blocks south along river) come back to Jasper, have dinner at Tin Palace outdoor patio (Quintessential Edmonton thing). Go further west, to 124st area, then piggy back to the famous buckled bridge girders still in repair on Stony Plain Road, while detoured there check out high street and go back while noticing the beautiful "Pearl" tower.

U of A is a great campus to explore. Lots to see and do there and even on South campus which like regular Campus is accessible through LRT. Kia Nurse, sister of Darnell Nurse will be playing at South campus, Saville Center, just next week for Team Canada in its quest to qualify for 2016 Olympics. Golden Bears also play at Foote field there and an international Track and Field Junior Pan am games just wrapped up there.

When checking out Whyte ave also check out its bookend, 109st which is as interesting and follow it all the way to High level bridge. Indeed walk the HLB to Legislature.

Should mention to check out remedy either on 109st or 124st or anywhere you find it, another Edmonton institution.

Highly recommend Fort Edmonton as others have.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
OP how old are you? Some suggestions could hinge on this, things like fort edm or eating at la ronde might not fly with ~20 year olds.

I've never been on it, so I'm not sure if it's a good thing to check out, but the whyte ave/strathcona area has an old time streetcar ride that takes you from whyte ave to downtown on top of the high level bridge. Could be a cool view at least. I've heard it's only like $5-10 and it probably takes less than 2hrs round trip.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
What to do in Edmonton? I find myself askign that questions quite often.

From a tourism point of view, Edmonton has very little to offer. The festivals are great while they are on. The Fringe is my favorite. Great atmosphere on Whyte avenue during this event.

Fort Edmonton would be good to check out, but have always felt it's done kinda half-*****. Too sparce and not enough to really keep your interest for long.

Downtown has no atmosphere, You may find the odd cool bar or restaurant, but don't head out for a stroll afterwards as there's nothing else really happening.

River valley is nice to look at but again, nothing happening but a few joggers and cyclists.

Architecturally, Edmonton is devoid of anything of merit.

WEM is great for tourists. Shopping, ice rink, amusement park, waterpark, restaurants. One stop that has everything.

Anyways, that my 2 cents worth....or do I round up to 5 cents or down to zero?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
From some one who loves Edmonton, there isn't a lot of top tourist things to do. I would explore the river valley if the weather is nice. Go to Fort Edmonton Park and the Muttart conservatory. I would walk around whyte, great place to grab a beer or a coffee. Walk around downtown, check out the new area district. Check out the new art gallery. ps. Whyte ave is just on one side of the river while downtown is on the other. So you can check out both while checking out the river valley. Have fun.

ps, yes if you can come during the fringe. places to eat on Whye: Meat, Dadeos, The Sugar Bowl.

Sorry--There is a lot to do in Edmonton from April to Late August--after that stay away

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
How old are you?

Are you looking to party and drink, or sightsee and exercise?

Are you looking for cheap?

Do to the Fringe in Edmonton.

If you want a nice drive, go from Banff to Jasper through the Icefields parkway. Then east to Edmonton and then south to Calgary before you head home. The drive from Banff to Jasper is one of the most spectacular in Canada. The have a glass walkway overlooking the icefields they just recently built thats pretty cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad