OT: What to do in Edmonton?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He or she is also allowed to GTFO seeing it's so awful.

The post is about things for a tourist to do in Edmonton, not how good of a city it is. From a personal point of view, Edmonton is a great city to live in. It's a big city with a small town feel. From a tourist point of view, compared to other cities around the world then Edmonton is not a good place.

There's the mall which is outdated compared to other super malls now. There's Whyte and Jasper which don't even compare to other popular bar streets in the North America. The River Valley is nice but not worth coming to this city for and many other cities offer similar festivals to us. If your driving thru, visiting family or came here to watch your favorite player play a game then Edmonton is good for 3-4 days. If your coming here for no other reason but to take a week long Edmonton trip then you'd be better served going to San Diego, LA or dare I say Vancouver.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
What exactly would you in Calgary for more than 3-4 days? Seriously?

*Crickets*

Well, you could get up on the first day and head down to the OEB for breakfast. Once that is done, head down one of the rental places in town, pick up a raft and take a float down the bow for the entire afternoon. In the evening, head down to the National on 10th for something to eat and try your hand at some bowling.

On day 2 you'll probably be hungover like hell and you'll be getting up pretty late in the afternoon. Peel yourself out of bed, and load up on bacon at diner deluxe. Once you've fed yourself, wander down the hill into downtown and enjoy some of the cool sights down there (peace bridge, the giant head, other street art). See if you can find a bored Cenovus or Encana employee to take you up to the 56th floor of the Bow. If you're less interested in making friends with random oil company employees, buy a ticket and get up the Calgary Tower. Once you're done looking at the mountains and standing on the glass floor, get back down to street level, cross 9th and get your eat on a Charcut. There's a plethora of bars, live music and all sorts of **** to entertain you downtown for the rest of the night. Might I suggest some late night authentic Asian Karaoke at Nanta? Comes complete with giant beers, rowdy locals and a staff that's way too tolerant of their guests.

Day 3, lets work some of that booze out of your system from the last couple days of going crazy. Take a quick drive over to Nose Hill and walk amongst the wild grass lands that Calgary used to be before the crazy urban sprawl swallowed everything up. If walking hills isn't your thing, go down to fish creek, or the trout hatchery (they're in very different sides of the city, so it'll probably be one or the other) and enjoy some of the other actually nice parks in town. Later, after lunch at one of our world class eateries, go to Winsport (Calgary Olympic Park), where you can take a ride down the bobsled track or zipline off the highest ski jump tower. While you're there, remember to pop into Canada's Sport Hall of Fame and get lost in some of the greatest Canadian sport memories. You'll be across the parking lot from Hockey Canada's headquarters there as well, so if you're feeling super adventurous, sneak up to the 2nd floor and introduce yourself to Tom Renney. I'm sure he won't mind. Hit up Notable in Montgomery for something to eat when you're done at Winsport. It's a couple blocks off highway 1 and totally worth it.

Maybe on Day 4 you'll be ready to leave the city but already done the mountains/k-country thing, might I suggest a quick drive out to the badlands and visit the Royal Tyrrell Museum? It's nothing special, just the world's premier Palaeontology Museum. Don't leave without finding the 1 m in diameter Ammonite covered in gem quality Ammolite. One of my favourite things in a place full of the coolest fossils in the world. When you're done there, drive 2 minutes down the road and play 18 holes at the Drumheller G&CC. A great little course with a back nine to die for (watch out for snakes if you hit it into the scrub).

Unmentioned: Waterton Lakes National Park, hiking in K-country (Highwood Pass FTW), Frank Slide, the Okotok outside of Okotoks, taking a brewery tour at Village Brewery, golfing in Canmore, hitting up a local small town rodeo, not dying in a kayak in Harvey Passage, fishing the Bow River in downtown Calgary, the Ironwood in Inglewood, watching the Dawgs at Seaman Stadium, Telus Spark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
Loving the feedback here :) It's really helping me out.. Believe me, some of the banter here about what not to do in Edmonton, I can tell you the same about Vancouver. But that's just because we live in the city and we've grown accustomed to it and already done everything there is to do in the city. But besides the point...

As to answer a couple of your questions. There'll be six of us and the age range is from 19-22. I don't think we're looking to go out to party or club, more like do the touristy things in and around both Calgary and Edmonton. All of us are budgeting at the most $500-$700 at the most not including hotel and car rental. We are definitely planning on hitting up West Edmonton Mall. Some things I do like from what has been said so far is walking around Whyte, I assume it's a region near the downtown core, the Dinosaur park, Elk Island Park, and maybe Royal Alberta Museum.

This right here, I might do it because of the scenery: (thanks Cawz)

If you want a nice drive, go from Banff to Jasper through the Icefields parkway. Then east to Edmonton and then south to Calgary before you head home. The drive from Banff to Jasper is one of the most spectacular in Canada. The have a glass walkway overlooking the icefields they just recently built thats pretty cool.

Also, what is this Fringe you guys are mentioning? I did a quick Google Search and it didn't really mention anything.

Checking out the Arena construction has to be mentioned. As well as checking out the Seating, arena suite and presentation area they have opened up (forget what this is called or exactly where it is.)
I want to do this as well. I'll probably go however only myself and another friend is a hockey nut. The others aren't.

Would go to Mercers next door knock back a couple. Then explore 104st. If energetic a walk up Jasper all the way to 116st, then take Victoria promenade,(a few blocks south along river) come back to Jasper, have dinner at Tin Palace outdoor patio (Quintessential Edmonton thing). Go further west, to 124st area, then piggy back to the famous buckled bridge girders still in repair on Stony Plain Road, while detoured there check out high street and go back while noticing the beautiful "Pearl" tower.
This sounds like an adventure on it's own. Looks and sounds fun!

When checking out Whyte ave also check out its bookend, 109st which is as interesting and follow it all the way to High level bridge. Indeed walk the HLB to Legislature.

Should mention to check out remedy either on 109st or 124st or anywhere you find it, another Edmonton institution.
Would this be a scenic walk or more like a place to check out?

If your coming here for no other reason but to take a week long Edmonton trip then you'd be better served going to San Diego, LA or dare I say Vancouver.
We were planning on going to LA originally, however with the loonie being so low, we decided against it because we'd be spending way too much CAD converting to USD.

Well, you could get up on the first day and head down to the OEB for breakfast. Once that is done, head down one of the rental places in town, pick up a raft and take a float down the bow for the entire afternoon. In the evening, head down to the National on 10th for something to eat and try your hand at some bowling.

On day 2 you'll probably be hungover like hell and you'll be getting up pretty late in the afternoon. Peel yourself out of bed, and load up on bacon at diner deluxe. Once you've fed yourself, wander down the hill into downtown and enjoy some of the cool sights down there (peace bridge, the giant head, other street art). See if you can find a bored Cenovus or Encana employee to take you up to the 56th floor of the Bow. If you're less interested in making friends with random oil company employees, buy a ticket and get up the Calgary Tower. Once you're done looking at the mountains and standing on the glass floor, get back down to street level, cross 9th and get your eat on a Charcut. There's a plethora of bars, live music and all sorts of **** to entertain you downtown for the rest of the night. Might I suggest some late night authentic Asian Karaoke at Nanta? Comes complete with giant beers, rowdy locals and a staff that's way too tolerant of their guests.

Day 3, lets work some of that booze out of your system from the last couple days of going crazy. Take a quick drive over to Nose Hill and walk amongst the wild grass lands that Calgary used to be before the crazy urban sprawl swallowed everything up. If walking hills isn't your thing, go down to fish creek, or the trout hatchery (they're in very different sides of the city, so it'll probably be one or the other) and enjoy some of the other actually nice parks in town. Later, after lunch at one of our world class eateries, go to Winsport (Calgary Olympic Park), where you can take a ride down the bobsled track or zipline off the highest ski jump tower. While you're there, remember to pop into Canada's Sport Hall of Fame and get lost in some of the greatest Canadian sport memories. You'll be across the parking lot from Hockey Canada's headquarters there as well, so if you're feeling super adventurous, sneak up to the 2nd floor and introduce yourself to Tom Renney. I'm sure he won't mind. Hit up Notable in Montgomery for something to eat when you're done at Winsport. It's a couple blocks off highway 1 and totally worth it.

Maybe on Day 4 you'll be ready to leave the city but already done the mountains/k-country thing, might I suggest a quick drive out to the badlands and visit the Royal Tyrrell Museum? It's nothing special, just the world's premier Palaeontology Museum. Don't leave without finding the 1 m in diameter Ammonite covered in gem quality Ammolite. One of my favourite things in a place full of the coolest fossils in the world. When you're done there, drive 2 minutes down the road and play 18 holes at the Drumheller G&CC. A great little course with a back nine to die for (watch out for snakes if you hit it into the scrub).

Unmentioned: Waterton Lakes National Park, hiking in K-country (Highwood Pass FTW), Frank Slide, the Okotok outside of Okotoks, taking a brewery tour at Village Brewery, golfing in Canmore, hitting up a local small town rodeo, not dying in a kayak in Harvey Passage, fishing the Bow River in downtown Calgary, the Ironwood in Inglewood, watching the Dawgs at Seaman Stadium, Telus Spark.
Damn that sounds legendary.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The post is about things for a tourist to do in Edmonton, not how good of a city it is. From a personal point of view, Edmonton is a great city to live in. It's a big city with a small town feel. From a tourist point of view, compared to other cities around the world then Edmonton is not a good place.

There's the mall which is outdated compared to other super malls now. There's Whyte and Jasper which don't even compare to other popular bar streets in the North America. The River Valley is nice but not worth coming to this city for and many other cities offer similar festivals to us. If your driving thru, visiting family or came here to watch your favorite player play a game then Edmonton is good for 3-4 days. If your coming here for no other reason but to take a week long Edmonton trip then you'd be better served going to San Diego, LA or dare I say Vancouver.

This pretty much sums it up. I love Edmonton, but I would never honestly tell a tourist to come here. Everything Edmonton has to offer can be found elsewhere better. What can you do, at the end of the day not every where can be NYC, London, Paris etc. Some cities are just good places to live but not much fun to visit, no shame in that.

ps, I imagine the original poster stopped reading back when this thread became another spat between Edmonton and Calgary lol

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Loving the feedback here :) It's really helping me out.. Believe me, some of the banter here about what not to do in Edmonton, I can tell you the same about Vancouver. But that's just because we live in the city and we've grown accustomed to it and already done everything there is to do in the city. But besides the point...

As to answer a couple of your questions. There'll be six of us and the age range is from 19-22. I don't think we're looking to go out to party or club, more like do the touristy things in and around both Calgary and Edmonton. All of us are budgeting at the most $500-$700 at the most not including hotel and car rental. We are definitely planning on hitting up West Edmonton Mall. Some things I do like from what has been said so far is walking around Whyte, I assume it's a region near the downtown core, the Dinosaur park, Elk Island Park, and maybe Royal Alberta Museum.

This right here, I might do it because of the scenery: (thanks Cawz)

If you want a nice drive, go from Banff to Jasper through the Icefields parkway. Then east to Edmonton and then south to Calgary before you head home. The drive from Banff to Jasper is one of the most spectacular in Canada. The have a glass walkway overlooking the icefields they just recently built thats pretty cool.

Also, what is this Fringe you guys are mentioning? I did a quick Google Search and it didn't really mention anything.

I want to do this as well. I'll probably go however only myself and another friend is a hockey nut. The others aren't.

This sounds like an adventure on it's own. Looks and sounds fun!

Would this be a scenic walk or more like a place to check out?

We were planning on going to LA originally, however with the loonie being so low, we decided against it because we'd be spending way too much CAD converting to USD.

Damn that sounds legendary.

https://www.fringetheatre.ca/festival_2015.php
The fringe is really cool, it is aug 13 to 23, not sure if that works with your schedule, it is right on whyte, so you can't miss it.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Of you end up at Fort Edmonton, on the far side of the park is a footbridge across the river that not too many people know about, which is a shame since it's a nice bridge, and the view is great. Louise McKinney park is also nice. Actually, just about anywhere along the river valley is nice, especially if your into running or cycling.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
How old are you?

Are you looking to party and drink, or sightsee and exercise?

Are you looking for cheap?

Do to the Fringe in Edmonton.

:handclap: 100% agree. We took that tour with Brewster Gray Line and we enjoyed it.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
http://www.history.alberta.ca/ukrainianvillage/

We were there once and it's wonderful. You need to drive there but it's worth it.

http://www.vegreville.com/visiting/what-to-see-and-do/vegreville-pysanka-easter-egg

If you can make it to Vegreville, they have the giant Easter Egg.

http://www.devonian.ualberta.ca/

Devonian Botanic Gardens are located in Devon not too far from Edmonton.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/elkisland/index.aspx

Been there as well and we had a bison walk right beside our car and I took a picutre of it.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Galaxy diner > Diner deluxe. Other than that, you hit it out of the park. Also, I think the Dawgs are in the play-offs right now? Might be hard to get tickets.

Seriously though, do these things. Nice work tempest.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Galaxy diner > Diner deluxe. Other than that, you hit it out of the park. Also, I think the Dawgs are in the play-offs right now? Might be hard to get tickets.

Seriously though, do these things. Nice work tempest.

Looking back in this now, I should have suggested blue star diner or dairy lane instead of diner deluxe.

I haven't been to Galaxy diner, so I'm not sure how good it is. Same with the beltliner, although I've heard good things.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

this is so well written, it actually makes me want to go to Cowtown

no one has city pride quite like Calgarians

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
As someone who's done a ton of travelling, there's a lot to love about Edmonton - it's most of the things marketed as tourist attractions aren't really all that impressive.

If you're into food, Edmonton's restaurant scene has come a long way in recent years. I've had some of the best meals I've had anywhere. If you want to spoil yourself, check out RGE RD or Corso 32. Other great options include Tzin, Bar Bricco, Rostiszado, Tres Carnales, Culina, Meat or Red Ox Inn. For breakfast, I've been to OEB in Calgary multiple times and New York Bagel Cafe holds it own here, though the service can suck at times.

Next Act on Whyte is a fantastic low key pub with good beers, great burgers and reasonable prices. Duchess Bake Shop is a must visit, their stuff is fantastic. Several good coffee spots around too, Transcend being my favourite and they have a few locations in the city.

The Fringe kicks off August 13th until the 23rd and that's always a blast. It's near Whyte so you could grab breakfast at New York Bagel Cafe, check out Whyte for a few hours then head to Next Act for some beer and a burger before hitting the Fringe. Fantastic day right there.

You could get lost in the river valley for hours and not get tired of it. Hawrelak park and the Legislature grounds are both great places to hang out for a day too.

The U of A observatory is open Thursday nights if you happen to be around. It's pretty cool. Fort Edmonton Park is worth a trip and the Muttart Conservatory is interesting if that's your kind of thing too. I'd steer clear of WEM, but to each their own.

I could go on, but from what I can tell I've already easily covered 3-4 days worth of things to do.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
If money is no object, you may also enjoy going to the LaRonde Restaurant downtown. Great food, very attentive service, and magnificent views provided by the rotating dining floor.

Do they have dancing poles for this and the attentive service?

Sounds interesting.

:sarcasm:

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
this is so well written, it actually makes me want to go to Cowtown

no one has city pride quite like Calgarians

Thanks. Calgary can be a pretty fun town. Come down and do some of these things. Or better yet, come down for the Labour Day classic and fly your Edmonton flag proudly while you're here.

It convinced me too lol. I've never actually done the bobsleigh thing.

The bobsleigh thing is really fun and you can do it during the summer, they just put wheels on the sled ;)

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
http://coalcreekgolfresort.com/

If you are a golfer, you really should play here. Word of warning: stay out of the bunkers. The material (copper slag) is extremely difficult to hit out of well, if you aren't a relatively good player from the sand.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
http://www.history.alberta.ca/ukrainianvillage/

We were there once and it's wonderful. You need to drive there but it's worth it.

http://www.vegreville.com/visiting/what-to-see-and-do/vegreville-pysanka-easter-egg

If you can make it to Vegreville, they have the giant Easter Egg.

http://www.devonian.ualberta.ca/

Devonian Botanic Gardens are located in Devon not too far from Edmonton.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/elkisland/index.aspx

Been there as well and we had a bison walk right beside our car and I took a picutre of it.

Why anyone in their right mind would make a special 1 1/2 hour trip to go to Vegreville just to see a giant Easter egg is beyond me, but hey, to each his own. I suppose there could also be the attraction of some plastic flamingos on a few lawns too.:laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thanks. Calgary can be a pretty fun town. Come down and do some of these things. Or better yet, come down for the Labour Day classic and fly your Edmonton flag proudly while you're here.

The bobsleigh thing is really fun and you can do it during the summer, they just put wheels on the sled ;)

I meant to ask what OEB is. You mentioned go down to OEB for breakfast. I never get acronyms.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I meant to ask what OEB is. You mentioned go down to OEB for breakfast. I never get acronyms.

I probably shouldn't have used the acronym, especially if I'm trying to advise a tourist to go there. It's short for the Over Easy Breakfast Company.

It's a small place that serves breakfast and brunch on Edmonton Trail and 8th Ave NE.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I probably shouldn't have used the acronym, especially if I'm trying to advise a tourist to go there. It's short for the Over Easy Breakfast Company.

It's a small place that serves breakfast and brunch on Edmonton Trail and 8th Ave NE.

Thanks, just found it. I knew it wasn't the Ontario Energy Board...:laugh:

lol that even on the website its not even once referred to as Over Easy Breakfast Company.

Anyway they are closed for renos until August 17.

"All our potatoes are fried in duck fat" My arteries will pass on this one.

oil4one

Feb 28, 2012
Check out Reynolds - Canada's Aviation history museum in Wetaskawin. Could easily spend a day there.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Thanks, just found it. I knew it wasn't the Ontario Energy Board...:laugh:

lol that even on the website its not even once referred to as Over Easy Breakfast Company.

Anyway they are closed for renos until August 17.

Renos?

I guess they had enough of the psychedelic wallpaper and ceiling chalkboard art.

Edit: as for the duck fat? There's a reason I suggested the OEB for breakfast on the day where they're going to spend 4-6 hours drinking in the sun ;) Gotta make sure you have a good base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad