Speculation: What to do about Toby?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
D man A:

33 games 2 goals, 8 assists, 10 points, -5 +/-, 22 PM, 39 shots, 5.1 S%, plays every PP

D man B:

29 games 2 goals, 9 assists, 11 points, -5 +/-, 14 PM, 39 shots, 5.1 S%, sees limited PP time

D man A: $5,750,000 season

D man B: $2,066,667 season

Which one is earning his salary? Is D man A worth the almost three times more than what D man B is paid, hell NO!

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
D man A:

33 games 2 goals, 8 assists, 10 points, -5 +/-, 22 PM, 39 shots, 5.1 S%, plays every PP

D man B:

29 games 2 goals, 9 assists, 11 points, -5 +/-, 14 PM, 39 shots, 5.1 S%, sees limited PP time

Which one is earning his salary? Is D man A worth the almost three times more than what D man B is paid, hell NO!

But it's more than just points sip.
You know that :rolleyes:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
About 45% of Enstrom's career points are on the PP. Skews his ppt and +/- way up. I would love to see his raw (non PP) stats.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
D man A:

D man B:

Do you know what usage is?

I'll ask you a question sip, if you were on Jeopardy against a high school dropout and won, or were on against a Oxford honor student, and won, which win would be more gratifying? Which win would be considered more accomplished?

Usage.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am fine with Toby as is with his current contract (especially with the Cap going up). My only concern has been his durability since arriving in the Peg and so far this season (KNOCK ON WOOD) he seems to be doing fine. I like him as a D man and think he is an important piece of the puzzle. He has been in a bit of a point scoring funk as of late but he will work through that.

Enstrom, Trouba, Morrissey, Bogosian, Buff is a nice portfolio of mixed skill sets.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Do you know what usage is?

I'll ask you a question sip, if you were on Jeopardy against a high school dropout and won, or were on against a Oxford honor student, and won, which win would be more gratifying? Which win would be considered more accomplished?

Usage.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....also take into account that Enstrom isn't physical due to his small stature, is easily manhandled by large forwards (the myth about body position is all but dispelled this season when he has been blown up by large Western Conf. forwards), rarely comes up with the puck in one on one battles, isn't really that great at moving the puck out of his own end....shall I go on?

Everyone raved about Enstrom even before he played a game for the Jets, guess I'm still waiting to see what all the hype was about. IMO

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Oilers fan here, just wondering if Buff is on the table? If so, what would it take for the Oilers to land him. The untouchables are Hall, Perron, RNH, and Nurse...

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Who said anything like that?

That's usually the way the discussion sways when we're talking about Enström. Let's not pretend like a grabbed an argument from thin air here, especially when the discussion here was brought up talking about size.

But really, it doesn't matter. At this point, it's painfully obvious that certain people have an agenda. Nothing new under the sun.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
That's usually the way the discussion sways when we're talking about Enström. Let's not pretend like a grabbed an argument from thin air here, especially when the discussion here was brought up talking about size.

But really, it doesn't matter. At this point, it's painfully obvious that certain people have an agenda. Nothing new under the sun.

No different then Scheifele byfuglien pavelec Kane etc etc etc

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Actually I would rather see 2 $4 million D man than both Clitsome and Enstrom!

stop it sip, that's an uncharacteristically reasonable thing for you to say.

but seriously though Toby is definitely worth his money. I mean, hell, up until the last two weeks most were calling him our best d man of the season.

oh how fickle we tend to be.

if you don't see the good he does i don't know what to tell you. Agree to disagree. Fortunately for me, advanced Stats, Chevy, and Noel are all on my side.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
stop it sip, that's an uncharacteristically reasonable thing for you to say.

but seriously though Toby is definitely worth his money. I mean, hell, up until the last two weeks most were calling him our best d man of the season.

oh how fickle we tend to be.

if you don't see the good he does i don't know what to tell you. Agree to disagree. Fortunately for me, advanced Stats, Chevy, and Noel are all on my side.

Whenever Enstrom gets hit hard people come out of the woodwork and say he's crap and he's overpaid, even though he usually gets right up after the hit no worse for wear.

Toby Enstrom is a good defenseman, he's the teams best defenseman until Jacob Trouba reaches his full potential. He's overrated by some people on this board and he's criminally underrated by others.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Enstrom for the overwhelming majority of the year has been very solid for us. I was quite skeptical of him the first year or two but now I am won over. He often has sub-par partners and has proven he can be durable. Defence man like this tend to age well because they can skate.

Also, on the depth chart, without him the lef d-side is sheer horror..

If we are frustrated by Enstrom I am ready to scream over Buff's play. For every offensive contribution he makes he is awful in his own zone three to four times as much. Buff lately has been terrible..

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Tobi-Buff faces top lines three seasons in a row.

When together the Jets out score their opponents for 5v5 minutes by about a 3:2 ratio.

For all the other minutes Jets are out scored by slightly less than 3:2 (more like 6:4.5).

Whatever. They are ******. It's those guys faults.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00