What the HELL is going on with Henrik Lundqvist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I was thinking the other day, what happens if the Rangers face the Canadiens at some point in the playoffs? Would Talbot get all games in Montreal? It's just that Lundqvist really is that bad in Montreal for unknown reasons.

I don't think that is entirely true. Lundqvist, if I recall correctly, has solid numbers against MTL IN MSG. And I believe he has a winning record against them at MSG.

At the Bell Centre, he is awful against MTL.

Either way, you start Lundqvist in the post season. If we face MTL, it probably won't be until the second round, and you're not going to have Lundqvist win round one for you than go to Talbot.

And Lundqvist will finish around his career average this season. If he finishes at .920 or above he will be the only starting goaltender in the NHL to have five consecutive seasons at a .920. He's a .915 right now.

Secondly, look at what two weeks of great starts can do. Lundqvist went from a bottom feeder to the median for all starting goaltenders. Price went from a Vezina favorite to out of the picture (he's doing what he did last year, play well all season, than get bombed every game). Price went from top-5 in SV% (which is the only goaltender stat that anyone cares about today, even though its extremely flawed) to #12 in about two weeks.

A lot can change for Lundqvist in the final months of the season.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
The stupidity of your reasoning when it comes to Hank and the Olympics in this thread is unparalleled. How can you even think that an Olympic medal would mean more to him than a SC, especially when he's already got one!

You did not read my posts on the subject, didya? Here we go:

1. There's no way Rangers would contend for SC this season. They are a PO team at best. That was clear after Torts was fired and entirely new coach was hired with no continuation in site.
2. No Swedish G has 2(two) Olympic Gold medals (Sweden won in 1992 and 2006 out of 20 tires). If achieved such a record would be very hard to repeat.
3. Swedes know who won Gold for them. They respect players who won SC, but those guys did it NOT FOR THEM. Lundqvist will live there the rest of his life after retirement from NHL.
4. I agree Lundqvist wants SC the most at this time. For that he will fight next season or one after. This season he is focused on Sochi.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
You did not read my posts on the subject, didya? Here we go:

1. There's no way Rangers would contend for SC this season. They are a PO team at best. That was clear after Torts was fired and entirely new coach was hired with no continuation in site.
2. No Swedish G has 2(two) Olympic Gold medals (Sweden won in 1992 and 2006 out of 20 tires). If achieved such a record would be very hard to repeat.
3. Swedes know who won Gold for them. They respect players who won SC, but those guys did it NOT FOR THEM. Lundqvist will live there the rest of his life after retirement from NHL.
4. I agree Lundqvist wants SC the most at this time. For that he will fight next season or one after. This season he is focused on Sochi.

Dude, seriously stop. This is getting embarrassing.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
I know the scouts can't draft and Sather has been a poor GM but.....

Lundy is now the reason the team is and will stay mediocre.

He is good enough , when on a roll, to keep the Rangers in contention. With him playing well the team generally finds itself in a low playoff position and relatively low draft picks.

If the Rangers truly wish to "blow up" the team (trade Girardi, Cally) that's not possible with Lundy receiving his 8+ salary and playing good enough hockey to keep the Rangers from sinking close to the bottom. High draft picks are simply not attainable.

Thus, if the Rangers truly wish to attempt to build a base for a LT run they simply must make the best deal they can for Lundy. In other words send him elsewhere, immediately.

Once the foundation has been changed, moving Nash, Gman, Cally, MZA, Staal and others would be an easy task.

Of course, at the current tix prices the stands would be empty, merchandise sales will plummet, and TV ratings will tank. Hey, that's not our problem. WE want a winner and MSG must listen to us.

In the end it will all be worth it (missing the playoffs for a year or so) if we see the Rangers drafting top prospects with their very high draft choices. If the unthinkable happens and the picks lead to a mediocre team then simply cut everyone loose (before we have to pay real salaries) and start again. Winning a SC is the goal even if it takes a few years.

AS I've said, Lundy is most of the Ranger's problems.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Are we really blaming Lundqvist for all of our problems. This is ****ing ridiculous. What have we done with our drafts between him and richter? Absolutely nothing. Tanking is not the answer. The oilers are a horrible team and they had 3 1st overalls in a row,

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Every single team in the league except the couple at the top have fans who argue that the team should just tank and draft top players.

Regardless of whether or not it would be a good idea, yo're talking about what should be. That's normative. It isn't going to happen. We as fans should be dealing within the reality of a given situation.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I know the scouts can't draft and Sather has been a poor GM but.....

Lundy is now the reason the team is and will stay mediocre.

He is good enough , when on a roll, to keep the Rangers in contention. With him playing well the team generally finds itself in a low playoff position and relatively low draft picks.

If the Rangers truly wish to "blow up" the team (trade Girardi, Cally) that's not possible with Lundy receiving his 8+ salary and playing good enough hockey to keep the Rangers from sinking close to the bottom. High draft picks are simply not attainable.

Thus, if the Rangers truly wish to attempt to build a base for a LT run they simply must make the best deal they can for Lundy. In other words send him elsewhere, immediately.

Once the foundation has been changed, moving Nash, Gman, Cally, MZA, Staal and others would be an easy task.

Of course, at the current tix prices the stands would be empty, merchandise sales will plummet, and TV ratings will tank. Hey, that's not our problem. WE want a winner and MSG must listen to us.

In the end it will all be worth it (missing the playoffs for a year or so) if we see the Rangers drafting top prospects with their very high draft choices. If the unthinkable happens and the picks lead to a mediocre team then simply cut everyone loose (before we have to pay real salaries) and start again. Winning a SC is the goal even if it takes a few years.

AS I've said, Lundy is most of the Ranger's problems.

This sounds serious, but it feels facetious. I don't know what to think.

Islesfans1978*

You have to be in denial to think there is nothing wrong with the mans play, he is ranked 15 and barely holding that position. He has been a shadow of his past performances this season.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
You have to be in denial to think there is nothing wrong with the mans play, he is ranked 15 and barely holding that position. He has been a shadow of his past performances this season.

Well you clearly haven't watched him recently. Look at his last 10 games. Lundqvist and Nash have picked their play up tremendously since the Olympic rosters were announced. You're just looking at stats over the full season. Stats don't tell the story. No one is denying that Hank and the team struggled at the beginning of the season and in December. In January both have been great, with a couple of games being exceptions.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Canucks fan coming in peace.
Lundqvist is a great goalie on a team with a new head coach. Even goalies have to adjust to new systems, and it can mess with focus. What you see in front of you is markedly different than what you're used to, and it can impact one's game. After the career he's had, if anyone deserves a little patience from the fan base, it's Henrik.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Lundqvist is a great goalie on a team with a new head coach. Even goalies have to adjust to new systems, and it can mess with focus. What you see in front of you is markedly different than what you're used to, and it can impact one's game. After the career he's had, if anyone deserves a little patience from the fan base, it's Henrik.

Nah Lundpads blows!!!!

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Kevinsane, your username is apt - that is a very rational post. :)

Islesfans1978*

Well you clearly haven't watched him recently. Look at his last 10 games. Lundqvist and Nash have picked their play up tremendously since the Olympic rosters were announced. You're just looking at stats over the full season. Stats don't tell the story. No one is denying that Hank and the team struggled at the beginning of the season and in December. In January both have been great, with a couple of games being exceptions.

I have watched him play and he stinks compared to years past. He isn't himself at all.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
And it smells like poo.

It sure does

kevinpoulinislanders2010-11v.jpg

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
I assume, it's a basement right?

P.S. I said "season," that does not constitute one game.

We'll see you on Wed.......

Not a chance for you on Wed. Rangers are now the kings of outdoors.
Hope for Fri only.
Ranked 15 suggest Hank is an average NHL goaltender this season. Which is better than any NYI goalie any season as far as I remember.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
I assume, it's a basement right?

P.S. I said "season," that does not constitute one game.

We'll see you on Wed.......

you're right, he hasn't looked the same this season ..... but the team was playing poor defense in front of him to start. both the "D" and him have upped their play and we have been winning lately.

But i know their is another "gear" that he can go into , I'm hoping he hits that gear for the playoffs

Islesfans1978*

Not a chance for you on Wed. Rangers are now the kings of outdoors.
Hope for Fri only.
Ranked 15 suggest Hank is an average NHL goaltender this season. Which is better than any NYI goalie any season as far as I remember.

I hope the first two lines are sarcasm lol

Don't know how Poulin came into the discussion, my guess is you took what I said to heart, even though what I said was the truth. You are aware though that this is Poulin's first full season in the NHL right? First years are not about stats, they are about learning. If a player happens to wind up with good stats than that is a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I hope the first two lines are sarcasm lol

Don't know how Poulin came into the discussion, my guess is you took what I said to heart, even though what I said was the truth. You are aware though that this is Poulin's first full season in the NHL right? First years are not about stats, they are about learning. If a player happens to wind up with good stats than that is a bonus.

I guess Lundqvist missed the memo when he won a Gold Medal, finished as a Vezina Finalist, and finished All Rookie team.

Islanders need a good goaltender. NOW. Poulin isn't it. The Islanders with a goaltender of Lundqvist's caliber would make them an annual playoff team (and potentially a contender).

Islesfans1978*

I guess Lundqvist missed the memo when he won a Gold Medal, finished as a Vezina Finalist, and finished All Rookie team.

Islanders need a good goaltender. NOW. Poulin isn't it. The Islanders with a goaltender of Lundqvist's caliber would make them an annual playoff team (and potentially a contender).

What does winning a gold medal, a vezina trophy and being on the all rookie team have to do with this season????

This is Poulin's first full season, a bit premature don't you think? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad