What the HELL is going on with Henrik Lundqvist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Blob*

Well how does he look? Cause to me he looks pretty damn horrible out there. From the pre-season to the season. Consistently fighting the puck, missing the puck and just looks horrible. Even in the LA game he didnt look good, if it wasnt for 2-3 posts/crossbars that game is a loss.

Anyone else worried that the small pads will kill his game since he plays so deep into his net?

dmjt4160

Jun 27, 2011
below average game 1, solid game 2, was fine for the most part tonight but that was a complete ****show all around.

Too early for much concern to be honest

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not exactly related, but I figure I'll post this in here, too. There is this long-standing myth that Hank somehow played deep back in Sweden, too. It's simply not true.

Links on Hank playing deeper, now, due to Allaire's system:

http://www2.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=371305

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...57C0A9609C8B63

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/sp...pagewanted=all

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sh...php?p=38507011 (particularly post #27)

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey-1.683690

These are in no order and there are a million more out there. Allaire specifically changed Hank's game. Hank played much more aggressive in Sweden and is really night-and-day now compared to what he was.

I don't think Hank had a bad night tonight other than the 4th goal, though.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Probably overreaction more than anything. This stuff is going to happen early on. He's too good of a goalie to not comeback. Just a slump. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Not exactly related, but I figure I'll post this in here, too. There is this long-standing myth that Hank somehow played deep back in Sweden, too. It's simply not true.

I don't think Hank had a bad night tonight other than the 4th goal, though.

All of your links except for the 1st one are broken.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
From what I remember from watching in previous years, Hank looks off in the preseason and the start of the regular season. He'll be fine.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Yes, Lundqvists smaller goalie pads is the reason pucks hit the crossbar against LA.

Logic is my forte.

MorrisWanchuk

Sep 23, 2008
Sather needs to explore his trade value before his contract gets too close to the end. He's not re-signing, lets face it

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
hes been borderline terrible since the preseason, looks to have lost all focus. tonight wasnt really his fault...but without a godlike goalie, this is a very mediocre team...particularly w/o Nash.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
He looks like a fish out of water. He looks like he has no confidence at all. It's weird to see him like this because usually I go in every game as if he would get a shut out every game.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Same thing happened last year. Looked off the first couple games then found his groove. Not really worried.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He was left out to dry tonight. Even blaming him on the 4th goal is a bit of a stretch. Even standing on his head tonight wasn't going to help. We played horrible in front of him and Biron. Last game he was a bit shaky, but wasn't tested enough to really see if he's rebound from the preseason. And the first game, well, he didn't have much help either. Going forward, It'll be interesting to see how he handles shots he can see, and saves most goalies should be a make, rather than having to make an amazing save on every goal that is getting passed him.

Talking about trading him is pressing the panic button a little early if you ask me. His trade value is quite high, even after a ****** first half to the season.

Hal 9000*

AV's coaching style is gonna really test just how good Lundquist is. Personally, I think Hank is gonna regret helping Torts out of town.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Notoriously slow starter and it won't be incredible if he takes a little extra to adjust to the slight change in pads and having a different looking defense in front of him. Worried? When I say Lundqvist is the least of my worries, I mean it quite literally. I'm more worried about the thread count on AV's pillow cases than I am about Henrik Lundqvist. He will come around/adjust and this thread, and all of the comments berating him, will look silly not too far from now.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
It's not just about the goals allowed with Hank. He really looks off while making saves, his rebound control has been beyond terrible, his whole demeanor during games is different. It's been going on all pre-season and hasn't changed once the real games started. Impossible to know whether the issue is AV's new defensive system, equipment change, the state of his contract negotiations, some combination of everything, or something else entirely.

I'm not seriously concerned given his track record though. It's annoying, but this team has more pressing issues based on the small early sample. If he still looks like this around game 20, then this franchise has a massive problem.

PIM

Aug 1, 2013
NY
Don't blame the pads. 5 hole isn't his biggest issue, his biggest issue is shots from the outside.

Lundqvist plays very deep in his crease. That helps him to stop quick passes and shots at pointblank range, along with wraparounds and plays behind the net. But it also leaves him susceptible to shots from outside the circles.

He's technically sound- actually, beyond sound- in close. When it comes to those low shots and quick plays, he's easily the best in the league at coming up big. But when it comes to those outside shots, playing as deep in the crease as he does, his angles need to be perfect. Unfortunately, they aren't- getting burned by wrist shots and slight deflections are Hank's Kryptonite.

But what's causing this exposure all of a sudden? If you've been paying attention, this has always been a weakness he's had. In the past, even dating back to the dark ages, he's faced so many shots that any goals he let in were never really analyzed.

When Torts came in and set up the shot blocking system, Hank already earned his spot by making those impossible saves below the hashmarks.

Part of that Torts system was forwards collapsing low and blocking shots, and defensemen taking those outside shots away on the rush. That played to Hank's strengths- the shots that he gets beat on were either getting deflected wide, missing the net, or being completely absorbed in front of him about 85% of the time.

We still saw them get to the back of the net when they got through though, and the weakness was still apparent.

Once the work ethic, forcefield Black & Blueshirt system was really in place in 11-12, we saw a perfect harmony of our team concept and Hank's strengths, which lead to our first place finish and Hank's Vezina.

Last year though, we traded away and let walk our team concept, and Hank crumbled along with it, particularly during the playoffs.

If you have the stomach for it, go re-watch all the goals that Hank let up during the playoffs, particularly against the Bruins. Then, come back and tell me how many of them were outside shots that wouldn't have went in had he been standing a foot further outside his crease and cutting off the angle.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Hank didn't make great saves last year during the playoffs. But does making a few out of your mind saves really give you license to let up weak goals that come down to Bantam hockey basics? Cut off the angle, do what every goalie is taught to do in elementary drills their whole life, and so many of those goals don't go in.

skymachine

Aug 2, 2005
New York
I'm starting to get concerned. This isn't slow start Henrik. Every shot that went his way tonight was an adventure. Poor rebound control and even his balance seemed off. He usually shows much more poise, even when he allows a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad