What the heck are we going to do for goalie next year?

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Hackett is the only guy who is really at the point in his career where you see a goalie start to crack the NHL and he hasn't been good the past few years on top of the injury. Lieuwen's career might be over due to concussion issues. Makarov is in his first full AHL season after spending 2/3rds of the season in the ECHL last year. He's had a poor year with Rochester. Ullmark isn't going to jump into the NHL right out of the SHL. Johansson is 19 and isn't coming over to North America any time soon. Petersen is a freshman with Notre Dame. He's not going pro any time soon.

I don't get how anyone could see an NHL goalie in our system for next season besides Neuvirth who is still a pending UFA.

You don't know how anyone could see that? Well, then I'll tell you. Hallmark certainly could jump right to the NHL. I believe you called the SHL the 3rd best League in the world, if it wasn't you, it probably still is, which alludes to the S being more competitive than the AHL. Ullmark will be a 22 year old when next season begins with 2 full seasons playing against grown men in an elite league, and doing it impressively. He was also our best goaltender in camp this past September. A jump to the NHL May not be the most likely scenario but, not being able to see it is a bit short sighted, no?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
You don't know how anyone could see that? Well, then I'll tell you. Hallmark certainly could jump right to the NHL. I believe you called the SHL the 3rd best League in the world, if it wasn't you, it probably still is, which alludes to the S being more competitive than the AHL. Ullmark will be a 22 year old when next season begins with 2 full seasons playing against grown men in an elite league, and doing it impressively. He was also our best goaltender in camp this past September. A jump to the NHL May not be the most likely scenario but, not being able to see it is a bit short sighted, no?

You're right that I called the SHL arguably the third-best league in the world but I was wrong. It used to be, but it isn't anymore. Now the best non-NHL Swedish veterans often play in other leagues. The NLA is the second-best European league and the AHL is better as well. That doesn't really matter though, Ullmark is still getting quality professional experience, but it doesn't mean he's ready to jump into the NHL as a starter. How many 22 year old goalies are there starting in the NHL? Ullmark isn't Vasilevski or Gibson, who're better prospects and still not starting. If he's not starting, why is he in the NHL rather than starting in the AHL where he can adjust to the North American game while getting a lot of action which young goalies need? Ullmark isn't going to be a Sabres goalie next year. It's not impossible but it's unlikely enough not to entertain as a solution to our short-term goalie issue.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
You're right that I called the SHL arguably the third-best league in the world but I was wrong. It used to be, but it isn't anymore. Now the best non-NHL Swedish veterans often play in other leagues. The NLA is the second-best European league and the AHL is better as well. That doesn't really matter though, Ullmark is still getting quality professional experience, but it doesn't mean he's ready to jump into the NHL as a starter. How many 22 year old goalies are there starting in the NHL? Ullmark isn't Vasilevski or Gibson, who're better prospects and still not starting. If he's not starting, why is he in the NHL rather than starting in the AHL where he can adjust to the North American game while getting a lot of action which young goalies need? Ullmark isn't going to be a Sabres goalie next year. It's not impossible but it's unlikely enough not to entertain as a solution to our short-term goalie issue.

Ha, well maybe that's not the only thing you're wrong about. The better question would be "how many 22 year olds have started in the NHL in the last 5-7 years?" That's not quite as time relative. You'll find more, obviously. Vas and Gibson are really unfair comparisons because, if they weren't behind legitimate #1 goaltenders, perhaps they would be starting. That's not the case here in Buffalo and its fair to say that they would both start for the Sabres next season. We are talking about next season and although you've admittedly detracted a statement from a couple months ago(?) and fundamentally changed your hypothesis from which I had originally argued (it's not impossible but unlikely enough/I don't get how anyone could see an NHL goalie in our system...), I'll play your game.

Ullmark, if he were up with Sabres obviously would be the #1 or at least one of a tandem. A goaltender doesn't need to be 24 to start in the NHL, generally, they need to have successive, successful (I didn't mean to do that) season's playing in an elite league. Wherever you rank the SHL (seemingly dependent on the argument) it is an elite men's league and for the second straight season, Ullmark is an elite goalie in that league.

Your opinion on him is your opinion but if that is your basis, maybe reassess.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ha, well maybe that's not the only thing you're wrong about. The better question would be "how many 22 year olds have started in the NHL in the last 5-7 years?" That's not quite as time relative. You'll find more, obviously. Vas and Gibson are really unfair comparisons because, if they weren't behind legitimate #1 goaltenders, perhaps they would be starting. That's not the case here in Buffalo and its fair to say that they would both start for the Sabres next season. We are talking about next season and although you've admittedly detracted a statement from a couple months ago(?) and fundamentally changed your hypothesis from which I had originally argued (it's not impossible but unlikely enough/I don't get how anyone could see an NHL goalie in our system...), I'll play your game.

Vasilevski is better than Bishop right now, no question. I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees. Vasilevski is the best goalie prospect since Carey Price. Bishop had a very good last year but hasn't repeated it. He's no guaranteed starter going forward. Gibson is being kept out by a 25 year-old Andersen. Andersen had three strong seasons in Denmark before having an insanely good season in the SHL. Where do you think he went next? The AHL, like everyone else. After that he was in the NHL. Andersen is at worst the same level of goalie prospect as Ullmark.

I don't really know what the rest of your paragraph is saying. I said I don't know how anyone could see an NHL goalie next year in our system. I don't know how anyone could see Ullmark in the NHL next season. That doesn't mean I think it's impossible, it means I don't know why anyone would see it as likely enough to consider it an option in a conversation about what the Sabres are going to do at goalie next season. My second comment elaborated on what I said rather than contradicted it. If you want to have some silly semantic throw-down over phraseology to pretend I fundamentally altered my argument from one comment to the next, knock yourself out.

Ullmark, if he were up with Sabres obviously would be the #1 or at least one of a tandem. A goaltender doesn't need to be 24 to start in the NHL, generally, they need to have successive, successful (I didn't mean to do that) season's playing in an elite league. Wherever you rank the SHL (seemingly dependent on the argument) it is an elite men's league and for the second straight season, Ullmark is an elite goalie in that league.

Of course a goalie doesn't need to be 24 to start in the NHL. They tend to be 24 when they start out in the NHL, though, because of what's necessary to become a starter: experience to develop one's game, proving oneself, and a circumstance conducive to winning the job. Two of those three things depend on the goalie himself and almost always take a good amount of time except for with the most elite goalie prospects, a group to which Ullmark doesn't belong. The third is out of the goalie's control. The only way it's a favorable circumstance is if we go into the season without an NHL goalie. If you assume that's likely then you can argue Ullmark has a reasonable shot, but it's a pretty ridiculous assumption.

Ullmark is having an elite season? He's rebounded, but no one would say he's having an elite season. He certainly wasn't playing elite in spite of his team earlier in the year, he was playing poorly behind a poor team. He then rebounded to playing fairly good behind a poor team. I haven't seen a full game in a while. By the numbers it looks like he may be playing at a very high level behind a poor team, but that certainly doesn't equate to an elite season.

I did not change my opinion on the SHL based on the argument. I reassessed where I rank the leagues after a good conversation with some Swedish posters a while ago, after which I put into focus what I already knew about the decline of talent in the league. How I relate the leagues doesn't imply some massive change in my view of the league itself. I didn't bring up the quality of the league. My view of play in the SHL or AHL translating to the NHL or showing NHL-readiness is the same. My view is that Ullmark will be in the AHL in 2014-2015. If Ullmark improved on last season this year, then I would consider it more likely he could win an NHL job under the right circumstances, but he didn't.

Your opinion on him is your opinion but if that is your basis, maybe reassess.

If what is my basis? The quality of the SHL relative to other leagues? That's the basis of your argument. It's pretty irrelevant to mine. I only said anything in response to what you said, because I disagreed with it. The basis of my opinion on him is having watched a lot of MODO the past two seasons. The basis of my opinion that he won't be the Sabres' starter next season is a combination of that and an understanding of the process of becoming a starting goalie in the NHL. Going through the AHL is an established path for non-elite prospects -- including those from European men's leagues, especially goalies -- one which allows goalies to accustom themselves to the NA game and get lots of action while the team evaluates the prospect.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Gudlevskis and Nolan have a connection but not sure Nolan will be here next year.

<b>I dont think the sabres should sign any UFAt goalie longer then 2 years. </b> I think that 2 years is a good time to revisit where this team playoff chances are and how the goalie prospects have matured.

yeah, we need to make sure we don't do anything stupid and pull what chicago did with khabibulin when he first came onto the team. We need to be mindful of term if we're bringing all of these top horses into our stable.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The Ducks can't keep Andersson and Gibson forever.

NYI 1st+Grigorenko+Cornel/Martin/Karabacek for Gibson. Maybe it's not enough but goalies aren't worth that much aside from a few special cases (Corey Schneider)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I know I've advocated signing Niemi, but honestly I think Neuvirth is a plenty good enough goalie for at least the short term. He's not a superstar, but there aren't any superstar goalies available...we're not going to get a top ten guy in free agency.

I'd be perfectly happy seeing him get resigned to a two-year deal. I'd prefer the proven commodity of Niemi but if Neuvirth is half the price and close to the same value, it's a no brainer.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

NYI 1st+Grigorenko+Cornel/Martin/Karabacek for Gibson. Maybe it's not enough but goalies aren't worth that much aside from a few special cases (Corey Schneider)

Schneider was a better, more proven goalie than Gibson is when he got traded, so why are we spending twice as much for Gibson as Schneider brought in trade?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Uh...yeah...pass. :laugh:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Best case and worst case?

There is definitely hope that we have our guy somewhere in the system..... I'd love for Makarov to earn that title by this time next year.

There is hope we have our eventual guy, no doubt. The way I'd order our guys now would be:

#1 Ullmark
#2 Petersen
#3 Johansson
#4 Makarov
#5 Hackett
#6 Lieuwen

The list favors guys who are earlier in their development like Petersen and Johansson because the guys who are further along haven't impressed, especially of late.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Rob, I haven't skewed your words. As a matter of fact, I used quotes, so don't trick yourself into thinking that was the case. So I'll knock myself out, out loud. You based your argument against Ullmark on statistics alone, that was your first mistake, and a fact which you proved by noting that you haven't seen a game in a while. You changed your previous opinion of the SHL by your own admission. The stupid part is I don't think we're even that far away. If the Sabres don't bring in a top goalie, I think Ullmark has a better chance, obviously. If they do pay a vet, yeah they'll probably play him. It's not that difficult to see.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I am not concerned at all. The goalie market is usually flush with potential options and often one or two goalies come out of nowhere to establish themselves as number ones. (Bob in CBS, Andresson in ANA, Hutch in Winnipeg...etc.)

What is key is that we DO NOT GIVE UP PRIME ASSETS FOR A GOALIE. It's not like we are going to be a contender next year or even the following year. I'd rather take my chances with some unknowns to see if we can find a decent starter for the minimal loss of assets.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
There is hope we have our eventual guy, no doubt. The way I'd order our guys now would be:

#1 Ullmark
#2 Petersen
#3 Johansson
#4 Makarov
#5 Hackett
#6 Lieuwen

The list favors guys who are earlier in their development like Petersen and Johansson because the guys who are further along haven't impressed, especially of late.

I wonder if he will even be here. Doesn't he have to play 9 NHL games to stay a RFA or he becomes a UFA? Barring a long term injury to Neuvirth or he gets traded (both possible). I don't see how Hackett gets those games in with Neuvirth/Lindback here.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I wonder if he will even be here. Doesn't he have to play 9 NHL games to stay a RFA or he becomes a UFA? Barring a long term injury to Neuvirth or he gets traded (both possible). I don't see how Hackett gets those games in with Neuvirth/Lindback here.

I think it's 7 more games for at least 30 minutes. Hackett has said he wants to stay with the organization, so if there's interest from Buffalo, he very well could be back. He hasn't looked bad in his limited NHL action, actually.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I really hope Tim Murray has some scouts at the bruins game tonight to watch Malcom Subban play. I'd love for him to trade for Subban. Liked him ever since he was drafted.

He had a rough game tonight....I think he faced 6 shots and let in 3 goals and was pulled.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If we want to compete soon, maybe getting Ryan Miller back could be a solution? Vancouver could very well decide to go with Läck/Markström and improve some other part of the team with the Miller-Money.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If we want to compete soon, maybe getting Ryan Miller back could be a solution? Vancouver could very well decide to go with Läck/Markström and improve some other part of the team with the Miller-Money.

We can compete soon without paying a soon to be 35 year old goalie $6 million a year until 2017. He was traded because he's not in the long term plan, there's basically zero chance we attempt to re-acquire him unless it's to sign a one day retirement deal.

There are better options.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I'm pretty sure he won't get the games. The only way is if Neuvirth is traded. If we land O'Connor from BU Murray basically said we'd gift him a roster spot for the rest of the year (like we did with Ruhwedel), so that should be in the back of our minds as well. Still, I wouldn't rule out what happens next until it happens. Lieuwen seems even more of a longshot to me right now. #5/#6 are pretty interchangeable with a large gap from the rest of the pack due to non-talent factors.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'm pretty sure he won't get the games. The only way is if Neuvirth is traded. If we land O'Connor from BU Murray basically said we'd gift him a roster spot for the rest of the year (like we did with Ruhwedel), so that should be in the back of our minds as well. Still, I wouldn't rule out what happens next until it happens. Lieuwen seems even more of a longshot to me right now. #5/#6 are pretty interchangeable with a large gap from the rest of the pack due to non-talent factors.
Trade Neuvirth, sign O'Connor, waive Lindback, call up Hackett

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Hackett needs 28 games played or he will become a UFA. 25 and not played 80/28 NHL games for skater/goalie ( playoff games count)

He is at 22 now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese