What the heck are we going to do for goalie next year?

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Michal Neuvirth has so much potential, but seems to get hurt, so he may never reach it. Ullmark is doing pretty great in Sweden, but needs seasoning in the AHL and may take 2-3 years before he's up with the big club IF he reaches his potential.

I know we have to have the goalie situation we do now to ensure the tank goes properly, but what about next year? There's no heir apparent ready to go. I know a few people have mentioned Niemi, do we go with the veteran, or try to pluck a youngster in a diluted goalie market, like Bernier or even younger in Subban? Or do we stay the course and draft Mackenzie Blackwood so that Ullmark and Blackwood are our future while we spot check until the boys are ready to contend?

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
The sabres will probably chase after Enroth or Niemi, unless they can make a trade for a young guy stuck behind a talented veteran.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Apparently Niemi is not going to get re-upped plus Bryz is slated to be a UFA. I'm not too worried about it as it seems every season there is a goalie left standing after musical chairs.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I think what will ultimately happen is Murray will target a guy like Martin Jones in the offseason and then bring in one of the 1B/high end 2 types on the FA market. Enroth, Neuvirth, Fasth, Greiss, and Ramo are some potential targets I remember off the top of my head. If Niemi could be signed to a Hiller- or Miller-type of contract, I definitely wouldn't be mad about that. I think some team will be willing to give him more years than I'd want to commit, though. He's the only proven #1 on the market this year, which is different from last offseason.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Markstrom, Jones, Niemi, Pavelec, Reimer, Ramo, Dubnyk, Bishop? Crawford? Might be better to target Burke or Ranford as a goalie coach, build and refurbish goalies on our own that way.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Markstrom, Jones, Niemi, Pavelec, Reimer, Ramo, Dubnyk, Bishop? Crawford? Might be better to target Burke or Ranford as a goalie coach, build and refurbish goalies on our own that way.

Fucale, Subban, Lack, Gibson, Grubauer, Lehner, Takarski...there are names. Who knows. I would prefer it to not be Enroth though.

Bps21*

When I see the question "what are we going to do at goalie" my first thought genuinely is "try not to allow the most shots against in the league". Until we start doing that...it doesn't matter who is back there.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
I really hope Tim Murray has some scouts at the bruins game tonight to watch Malcom Subban play. I'd love for him to trade for Subban. Liked him ever since he was drafted.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What would you give up for him? He would be turning 29 in November and entering his UFA year.

Also on that note, I wish we could go back to 2012 and take Girgensons/Vasilevskiy and not Grigs/Girgs.

I don't really want to trade for a goalie. I just think Vasilevski takes that job soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: