What the heck are we going to do for goalie next year?

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I like the idea of bringing in Niemi. Experienced, talented, watchable. I also like the idea of trading for Malcolm Subban if the price is right. I think it's ideal to have a veteran goalie for youngsters to chase and try to knock off the throne.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think 3-4 years of Niemi would do us just fine...bridges the gap while we see if one of the prospects is going to work out or not. I'd also be very interested in trading for Martin Jones.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena
I bet Murray will re-sign Neuvirth until a better option comes along.

I'd be down for Subban if the price is right - I wouldn't want to overpay for anyone unproven.

In the draft, I'd prefer Vladar. Seems to fit the big goalie mold Murray likes (6'5") and the pedigree of a Buffalo Czech Goalie would be cool.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Next year, two guys who aren't currently in the organization I hope.

This is easy for me. Niemi @ 4 x 4.5.

That seems optimistic to me. I think Niemi is going to be closer to Miller's contract than Halak's. I'd give him the Miller contract though.

When I see the question "what are we going to do at goalie" my first thought genuinely is "try not to allow the most shots against in the league". Until we start doing that...it doesn't matter who is back there.

The issues are independent of each other though, right? Developing or acquiring a goalie really doesn't have anything to do with how many shots the team gives up.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Murray has no reason to give up on Neuvirth yet.

Not feeling a long term deal for a 32 year old Niemi.

Goalies swap around every offseason, so I won't speculate. But, I'd expect some '#2' with size in the 1-2M range

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
I really hope Tim Murray has some scouts at the bruins game tonight to watch Malcom Subban play. I'd love for him to trade for Subban. Liked him ever since he was drafted.

Curious to see how he looks if they use him while he's up. Always been a fan as well. Their cap situation is pretty tight, but I'd love to see another Fasching/Deslauriers for McNabb type deal involving Subban, maybe toss in Stewart at 50% retained if they can make that work. That being said, don't think he would be the guy next year.

Also wouldn't mind taking a chance on Cam Talbot, or even Calvin Pickard who had a nice stint with the Avs earlier this year.

Last edited:

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Gudļevskis in Tampa looked a waaaay better than Lindback in last season. He played one game in regular and 30 min in two games or so in playoffs. But it was obvious.
I hope that, Gudļevskis will gets traded, now when Vasilevsky is in Tampa, it looks unreal to get up.
Elvis Merzļikins was drafted in 3rd by Columbus in 2014, great prospect.
And there are Ivars Punnenovs who is born in the same year with Merzļikins and they both plays in NLA. Don't know why he isn't drafted, because some says, that he got more talent than Merzļikins.

Kristers Gudļevskis
Elvis Merzļikins
Ivars Punnenovs

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Gudļevskis in Tampa looked a waaaay better than Lindback in last season. He played one game in regular and 30 min in two games or so in playoffs. But it was obvious.
I hope that, Gudļevskis will gets traded, now when Vasilevsky is in Tampa, it looks unreal to get up.
Elvis Merzļikins was drafted in 3rd by Columbus in 2014, great prospect.
And there are Ivars Punnenovs who is born in the same year with Merzļikins and they both plays in NLA. Don't know why he isn't drafted, because some says, that he got more talent than Merzļikins.

Kristers Gudļevskis
Elvis Merzļikins
Ivars Punnenovs

Gudlevskis and Nolan have a connection but not sure Nolan will be here next year.

I dont think the sabres should sign any UFAt goalie longer then 2 years. I think that 2 years is a good time to revisit where this team playoff chances are and how the goalie prospects have matured.

Last edited:

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Gudlevkis and Nolan have a connection but not sure Nolan will be here next year.

Connection or not, but sometimes it's hard to prove your talent if you don't have a chance in the big league.

Since I follow Sabres, I'll say - you have a criminally bad situation with goalies.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Not worried at all. It's become a pretty easy position to address and the talent gap is as narrow as its ever been. I'd prefer Niemi for a few years, but with how the defense is shaping up for the next decade, I'm confident we won't be worrying about goaltending. It's actually pretty nice to see a Sabres squad not built from the net out.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
The time isn't right yet, but I want to pry Andersen or Gibson out of Anaheim. They're not going to keep both long term.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Honestly wouldn't shock me if Ullmark comes in, makes it impossible for them to send him down, and wins the starting job out of camp (This of course contingent on the team not signing/trading for a major goalie in the offseason).

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
Is anybody else interested in trading for Jack Campbell?

He was the 11th overall pick in 2010 and just got sent down to the ECHL to get more playing time because he's been having a rough year. I think we should try to snag him for cheap to see if he can revive his career in Rochester

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

He was the 11th overall pick in 2010 and just got sent down to the ECHL to get more playing time because he's been having a rough year. I think we should try to snag him for cheap to see if he can revive his career in Rochester

We have enough project goalies as it is. We need guys who are ready to put time in the NHL starting next season.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
What about making a trade for either hurricane goalie?

Anton Khudobin (2.0m cap figure)
Or
Cam Ward (6.8m cap figure)

Both have one year left on their contracts and the Canes need cap relief.

Likely wouldn't cost much and it would buy Ullmark a year in Rochester

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
What about making a trade for either hurricane goalie?

Anton Khudobin (2.0m cap figure)
Or
Cam Ward (6.8m cap figure)

Both have one year left on their contracts and the Canes need cap relief.

Likely wouldn't cost much and it would buy Ullmark a year in Rochester

Cam Ward? In Buffalo? GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIR!

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena

If Murray had any interest in Campbell I think he would have been included in the trade for Enroth

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Honestly wouldn't shock me if Ullmark comes in, makes it impossible for them to send him down, and wins the starting job out of camp (This of course contingent on the team not signing/trading for a major goalie in the offseason).

For those that are hoping or assuming that nobody in our system will be the top 2, any particular reason why?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
For those that are hoping or assuming that nobody in our system will be the top 2, any particular reason why?

Hackett is the only guy who is really at the point in his career where you see a goalie start to crack the NHL and he hasn't been good the past few years on top of the injury. Lieuwen's career might be over due to concussion issues. Makarov is in his first full AHL season after spending 2/3rds of the season in the ECHL last year. He's had a poor year with Rochester. Ullmark isn't going to jump into the NHL right out of the SHL. Johansson is 19 and isn't coming over to North America any time soon. Petersen is a freshman with Notre Dame. He's not going pro any time soon.

I don't get how anyone could see an NHL goalie in our system for next season besides Neuvirth who is still a pending UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad