What the Bruins are doing/What you'd like to see this off-season 2014 (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Yes I do.

I'm not sure who's calling for him to be a front line player. If he's an option, and there are rumors, I don't think its for top $$ and top line duties.

i mean, there are worse options. but he's slow and a shell of the player he used to be. also shoots left. i'm gonna say heatley ends up elsewhere. but this whole roster building thing for next season is pretty interesting. sort of.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't know.

I'd hope for Kelly, Boychuck, Koko and a pick. That coupled with Snow being nuts might do it?

If so, I'll pick Okposo up at Logan myself.

Boychuk is one yr from being a UFA.
Kelly is a $3m fourth liner.
Isles with a glut of bodies and deep prospect pool, have no use for picks /prospects.

You do not offer 1 piece , the nyi would think worth moving KO(69 pts in 71 games) for.

And no interest in Ericsson for Okposo either.

Newsday says the isles will likely shop Grabner and Bailey for a top 4 D.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
One guy from the bargain bin who might fit is Devin Setoguchi. He had a bad year and hasn't developed as expected but he would be cheap, he is still only 27, a RW, shoots right and brings some speed and some goal scoring ability.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
One guy from the bargain bin who might fit is Devin Setoguchi. He had a bad year and hasn't developed as expected but he would be cheap, he is still only 27, a RW, shoots right and brings some speed and some goal scoring ability.

Oh yea. We've brought his name up a few times here, I'd take a whack at em if I were PC. Playing next to the Yeti, he could probably score around 20. For cheap money too. Can take a regular shift on top lines as well.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Nobody on this team is even close to as talented as John Tavares; he carried Okposo.

During March and into the 2012-2013 playoffs, Okposo was the isles best player.
The second line of Bailey/Nielsen/Okposo dragged the isles into the playoffs.

Which line mate, Bailey or Nielsen, carried Okposo there?:shakehead

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Boychuk and Marchand

for

Grabner and Okposo

That has to save us some cap room, no?

Unless there's some reason for the Islanders that they WANT to trade Okposo (I haven't heard anything, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any), then I can't imagine that this is a strong enough offer to get them to consider.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
I wonder what Dan Carcillo would cost.

Think this line up needs some more physicality.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Unless there's some reason for the Islanders that they WANT to trade Okposo (I haven't heard anything, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any), then I can't imagine that this is a strong enough offer to get them to consider.

I would change the isles pieces. I don't think you are gettingn Okposo. I change it to Brock Nelson and Cal Clutterbuck and have them add a 2nd for Boychuck and Marchand. We save a lot more cap space and add size toughness and a guy in Nelson who will likely break out in thee next two years.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I would change the isles pieces. I don't think you are gettingn Okposo. I change it to Brock Nelson and Cal Clutterbuck and have them add a 2nd for Boychuck and Marchand. We save a lot more cap space and add size toughness and a guy in Nelson who will likely break out in thee next two years.

That went from one extreme to the other. No way I do that from the B's perspective, even though Nelson looks like he could turn into a decent player.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
That went from one extreme to the other. No way I do that from the B's perspective, even though Nelson looks like he could turn into a decent player.

Fast forward a year when Nelson is a 25 goal guy and Boychuck is gone for nada. Then evaluate it.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Fast forward a year when Nelson is a 25 goal guy and Boychuck is gone for nada. Then evaluate it.

That is a good point. But it's a huge risk moving Marchand for 2 down grades at this point in time. Your banking on Nelson replacing that production immediately when that could be 2, 3, 4 years, if at all.

A Nelson/Boychuk + deal would interest me for sure, just think that's a step back when you consider the whole package. And even Clutterbuck for the right return could be a decent fit, but I don't move Marchand for either.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Yes I do.

I'm not sure who's calling for him to be a front line player. If he's an option, and there are rumors, I don't think its for top $$ and top line duties.

Dom- my guess is he could be had for as little as a million right?

Make him a 4th liner and PP guy. He still has a shot just no wheels. Park him back door on the PP and hope he has some goals left. Otherwise he is a 13f which isn't terrible either.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
That is a good point. But it's a huge risk moving Marchand for 2 down grades at this point in time. Your banking on Nelson replacing that production immediately when that could be 2, 3, 4 years, if at all.

A Nelson/Boychuk + deal would interest me for sure, just think that's a step back when you consider the whole package. And even Clutterbuck for the right return could be a decent fit, but I don't move Marchand for either.

I doubt that works on a one off because Boychuck has only one year left. But the isles do have cap to sign him and a major need on the blue line...major.

I think we downgrade possibly for one year but wouldn't surprise me to see Nelson hit 20 this season and Clutterbuck adds some edge we don't have. It would also allow us to keep both DK and CS long term.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Still trying to figure out how the third line will look like ….

Spooner-Soderberg-Griffith (right handed shot)
Spooner-Soderberg-Fraser
Kelly-Soderberg-Fraser
Paille-Soderberg-Fraser
Soderberg-Spooner-Kelly
Kelly-Soderberg-Griffith

???

I don't think Griffith (or Koko) have a real shot at sticking with this team in the Fall. I expect them to get some games and get their feet wet, but not be regulars.

If they just let camp play out with the best players getting the spots (which they never do, camp has a way of turning out just how they "expected" it to, regardless of how people actually played). Then I'd expect the 3rd line to look like...

Spooner-Soder-Fraser with Eriksson starting on the Krejci line.

That said, I think the line they'd like to go with is

Fraser-Soder-Eriksson but obviously, for that to happen they have to find someone to play on Krejci's wing (or move Smith up and find someone to play on Bergy's wing).

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I don't think Griffith (or Koko) have a real shot at sticking with this team in the Fall. I expect them to get some games and get their feet wet, but not be regulars.

If they just let camp play out with the best players getting the spots (which they never do, camp has a way of turning out just how they "expected" it to, regardless of how people actually played). Then I'd expect the 3rd line to look like...

Fraser-Soder-Eriksson but obviously, for that to happen they have to find someone to play on Krejci's wing (or move Smith up and find someone to play on Bergy's wing).

I have the same feeling. Either Loui goes to the top line and challenge Krejci for the scoring title on the team, or he stays with Yeti and give the Bruins the best 3rd line in the game and they dominate the opposition bootom two lines.

For the success of the team, I thing Loui staying with the Yeti would help more even if it means him getting less point.

That means they need to have a Providence guy or a very cheap UFA on Krejci+Lucic line. If they go this route, give our best prospect that chance and reassess during the year if it doesn't work by moving Loui there...

Lucic-Krejci-Spooner
Marchand-Bergy-Smith
Kelly-Yeti-Loui
Paille-Campbell-Knight
Fraser

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Yes I do.

Think they are more focused on looking for someone right handed?

Left handed:

Loui, Smith, Spooner, Koko, Fraser, and also Heatley.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Screw all of these soft ass line ups. Seriously, the last thing i want to see is the Bruins looking like Carolina.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Oh yea. We've brought his name up a few times here, I'd take a whack at em if I were PC. Playing next to the Yeti, he could probably score around 20. For cheap money too. Can take a regular shift on top lines as well.

I wouldn't be opposed. If we have some room and we can get him cheap, he'd be an excellent 3rd liner. If he has a rebound season, he's more like a 2nd liner, too. Before this season, he was pretty much a sure 20 goals. Makes our team a lot deeper, gives us a RH shot.

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Fraser/Spooner-Soderberg-Setoguchi

That one addition makes our depth a whole lot better.

Screw all of these soft ass line ups. Seriously, the last thing i want to see is the Bruins looking like Carolina.

What do you suggest, then? Pick up Jamie Benn for Kelly and McQuaid? Trade for Evander Kane for Campbell and a 3rd?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

If you are keeping Ryan- and I would, you have two options,

1) he plays center and you move Campbell to LW and he's still kinda, sorta, a center/wing.

2) you put him up with Soderberg like you have done here. You are throwing a lot at him to be a wing and people can pooh pooh this but I am sure I have seen him live more than 99% here. Would I put him at wing? sure I would- because you never know; but looking at the skill set, the body of work, his skating his vision, how he plays along the wall, I see a center- not just a center a classic 100% center.

But, unless you deal him for the equivalent player who plays RW, you have to put him somewhere, to talented. BUT why not just stick him at center on the fourth line and make Campbell move. Love Soup but his versatility should be part of the package that makes him so valuable.

The HF Boards bottom 6 would be (assuming Kelly gets traded based on all the posts here and the inside stuff being referred to is this)

Paille-Soderberg-Fraser

Campbell-Spooner-BMS

send Koko down to start- he'll be fine and we can find out about Ryan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad