What the Bruins are doing/What you'd like to see this off-season 2014 (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
If Iggy doesn't re-sign, I can see Chia going after a guy like Vrbata. Loui goes to the first line and Smith down to the 3rd.

Lucic/Krejci/Eriksson
Marchand/Bergeron/Vrbata
Kelly(or Providence call-up)/Soderberg/Smith
Paille/Campbell/Florek
Robbins

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m not so sure I move Loui up to the first yet , liked him a ton with Sods

Keep hearing names like Koko/Spoons being potential 3rd line fillers, but judging/asking SOLELY on his stats which never tell the whole story, would Griffith still be a ways away from being NHL ready and an unrealistic player to see getting the nod on the B`s somewhere in the lineup?

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins balance short-, long-term interests at NHL Draft

Next year, the power in the NHL will remain in the Western Conference in the likes of Los Angeles, Chicago, Anaheim, and St. Louis. If the Bruins can remake their fourth line and increase the metabolism of their defense — think faster, quicker, higher-paced — they’ll be in position for a deeper run than the one Montreal halted.

Part of management’s responsibility this weekend is to put the 2014-15 version of the team in an optimal position to win. The sector requiring improvement is the blue line.

The Bruins are heavy on defensive defensemen: Chara, Seidenberg, Johnny Boychuk, Kevan Miller, and Adam McQuaid. This is not an ideal formation. The game demands mobility, fluidity, and speed in the areas of puck retrieval and movement the other way.

The Bruins won’t have enough cash for a cheese steak, to say nothing of a pace pusher, on the open market come Tuesday. The transition must take place via trade. If so, Boychuk would net the highest return.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...s-nhl-draft/zUOv0R49GoZuwiBMDGwFgI/story.html

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They can't trade Johnny!!! Ugh. Peter nooooooooo not Manchuck! Not Johnny Rocket! Not Johnny Drama! Think of the children, the pink hats. Horrible

Kaoz*

If there's any truth to the rumors that they're shopping Marchand at the draft... eck. Not a good move.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
If there's any truth to the rumors that they're shopping Marchand at the draft... eck. Not a good move.

Yeah, they're going to get hosed on a Marchand deal. I'm about 99% certain.

I hope we're sniffing around something with Krejci/Ekblad personally, and that's even with Krejci being my favorite non-Bergeron Bruin.

acr*

I'm pretty against trading Manchuk. I think he indispensable for a cup run this year. I don't want to deal Marchand either, but given the choice between the two of them, I would move Marchand. Tough choices. I think that Boston will have to let Iginla walk if he won't take a low deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
How foolish (IMO) of the NHL to have their draft the day after the NBA... Today all the sports talk radio stations in the U.S. will be centering their talk on them and the NHL draft will 'maybe' get mentioned in updates. Thoughts?:help:

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
funny, nobody wants to trade Boychuck, Marchand, Krejci, etc...basically anyone of value. All I see are trade offers with Kelly, Campbell, Khokhlachev, etc...guys with no value, hoping to get an Eberle in return. If we want to upgrade our wingers (please God), it will have to be value going out too.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How foolish (IMO) of the NHL to have their draft the day after the NBA... Today all the sports talk radio stations in the U.S. will be centering their talk on them and the NHL draft will 'maybe' get mentioned in updates. Thoughts?:help:

Doesnt matter- 99% of the posters here know more about hockey than any of the talk show hosts. There are a lot of insane things said here and I include myself in this discussion, but end of the day pretty much the majority here know the game, the players, and are passionate. And know where to find information and its not on the radio

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
With all our problems on d last season, trading Boychuk would be a mistake, imo.

Hes as solid as you're going to get. And he's only getting better. I know we need to trade some value guys, but he's one i'd hold onto for the time being.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm pretty against trading Manchuk. I think he indispensable for a cup run this year. I don't want to deal Marchand either, but given the choice between the two of them, I would move Marchand. Tough choices. I think that Boston will have to let Iginla walk if he won't take a low deal.

the team won the Presidents Cup and was one of the best teams in hockey- add Seidenberg back, Smith should be better, Marchand should be better, Hamilton better, Krug better, Soderberg and Eriksson should be much better- losing a 37 year old player should not capsize the SS Bruins. I want him back, but they should be good enough to be home ice first round again.

Kaoz*

Yeah, they're going to get hosed on a Marchand deal. I'm about 99% certain.

I hope we're sniffing around something with Krejci/Ekblad personally, and that's even with Krejci being my favorite non-Bergeron Bruin.

The cap number is likely out to GM's now, believe the NHL and PA met yesterday about it. I assume we'll find out what it is soon enough but I think it will honestly be the biggest determining factor in how the Bruins proceed this offseason.

I feel like Boston is strongest at center and on D and could more easily absorb the impact of losing a player at either position. With Soderberg looking solid at center, Bergeron producing like he is, and Spooner knocking on the top 6 C door I think they're poised perfectly to capitalize on a Krejci return, but, I'm not the most unbiased guy in the world in this respect either.

I hate the idea of trading Boychuk, as Boston's defense goes so does their success and the better they can beef that up the better off the team will be imo. A reason I want them to keep Seids, Boychuk, Chara, etc... and a reason I'm pro Ekblad as well.

All that said though, Chia and Co. tend to look at things differently. A cap situation that could have been dealt with last year by dealing away the likes of Kelly and Peverley ended up seeing Boston's best internal chance of a premiere forward getting dealt. Yes they may have had their reasons, but they bit on that one early imo simply because their hand was forced.

I can see them doing the same with Marchand now, a kid who has consistently yet inconspicuously been one of the teams offensive leaders the past few years. It's hard to accept the idea that they are trying to improve a team by trading away young kids who have stepped in and done that, but it won't be the first time they've taken that path, and it hasn't always blown up in their faces, someone has a horseshoe shoved somewhere.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
I feel like Boston is strongest at center and on D and could more easily absorb the impact of losing a player at either position. With Soderberg looking solid at center, Bergeron producing like he is, and Spooner knocking on the top 6 C door I think they're poised perfectly to capitalize on a Krejci return, but, I'm not the most unbiased guy in the world in this respect either.

I think the front office loves David Krejci far too much to consider trading him. They probably already have a contract extension offer for him.

Kaoz*

I think the front office loves David Krejci far too much to consider trading him. They probably already have a contract extension offer for him.

I wouldn't be surprised, it's entirely possible. Look at their attitude toward Kelly.

If that's the case they need to figure out what they're going to do with Soderberg and Spooner. They have Soderberg for another year and he won't stick around for a 3rd line gig once his contract is up, not when he's obviously ready for a top 6 role and already into his prime money making years. They also need to find a place for Spooner, and maybe that's back filling Soderberg next season, but can't imagine Spooner or his agent would be pleased with the thought of toiling away in Providence for another year only to be forced to fight for a 3rd line spot next season.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
The cap number is likely out to GM's now, believe the NHL and PA met yesterday about it. I assume we'll find out what it is soon enough but I think it will honestly be the biggest determining factor in how the Bruins proceed this offseason.

I hate the idea of trading Boychuk, as Boston's defense goes so does their success and the better they can beef that up the better off the team will be imo. A reason I want them to keep Seids, Boychuk, Chara, etc... and a reason I'm pro Ekblad as well.

All that said though, Chia and Co. tend to look at things differently. A cap situation that could have been dealt with last year by dealing away the likes of Kelly and Peverley ended up seeing Boston's best internal chance of a premiere forward getting dealt. Yes they may have had their reasons, but they bit on that one early imo simply because their hand was forced.

I can see them doing the same with Marchand now, a kid who has consistently yet inconspicuously been one of the teams offensive leaders the past few years. It's hard to accept the idea that they are trying to improve a team by trading away young kids who have stepped in and done that, but it won't be the first time they've taken that path, and it hasn't always blown up in their faces, someone has a horseshoe shoved somewhere.

Even as the person who gave you the Krejcist label, I think this is perfectly rational thinking, I had to think about it when Dom first suggested it a few weeks back, and that's mostly because my main concern would be Soderberg facing top 6 attention from other teams (possibly offset by top 6 linemates). Boston's top TWO prospects are better off in the center. They don't have the same replacement set on the wing. Ditto defense, I personally have more faith in Morrow than I do Fraser, Florek, Ferlin, and obviously this particular deal would move Morrow down to #2 prospect on defense. But 10 years of Ekblad, Dougie, Morrow, Krug with Chara and Seidenberg as veteran presence until they mature? Yeah, I'll take that.

But as we approach draft day, I think we'll see them move someone off the wing or not replace Iginla. We'll be talking about Spooner and Khokhlachev being blocked or playing outside of their strengths, and on down the line.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Doesnt matter- 99% of the posters here know more about hockey than any of the talk show hosts. There are a lot of insane things said here and I include myself in this discussion, but end of the day pretty much the majority here know the game, the players, and are passionate. And know where to find information and its not on the radio

In the larger sense it does. Again, the NHL has chosen to be overshadowed. I don't get my info from radio either when I'm at a computer but I'm on the road 80% of the day and I'd like to hear hockey talk and "this or that happened or is rumoured to be..." I don't have satellite radio, since when I'm at a job I'm not able to put it on in a customers house so I get my hockey "fix" on a 75% day like today from 98.5. Reminds me of 10-15 years ago when all we had was WEEI and they stunk.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised, it's entirely possible. Look at their attitude toward Kelly.

If that's the case they need to figure out what they're going to do with Soderberg and Spooner. They have Soderberg for another year and he won't stick around for a 3rd line gig once his contract is up, not when he's obviously ready for a top 6 role and already into his prime money making years. They also need to find a place for Spooner, and maybe that's back filling Soderberg next season, but can't imagine Spooner or his agent would be pleased with the thought of toiling away in Providence for another year only to be forced to fight for a 3rd line spot next season.

Aside for the franchise altering Krejci for Ekblad idea. The best bet there is to identify a center barren team that has a Spooner-like prospect on the RW and make a hockey trade. But since this sort of thing never seems to happen, I'm not sure. People mention Chiasson, but I'm not sold on him at all. He has something like 8 goals in his last 67 games. The idea of Seguin and Spooner centering for Dallas down the road isn't a pleasant one for me (though I'm sure the group of people whose thesaurus just has 500 synonyms for soft aren't bothered by that idea at all).

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Aside for the franchise altering Krejci for Ekblad idea. The best bet there is to identify a center barren team that has a Spooner-like prospect on the RW and make a hockey trade. But since this sort of thing never seems to happen, I'm not sure. People mention Chiasson, but I'm not sold on him at all. He has something like 8 goals in his last 67 games. The idea of Seguin and Spooner centering for Dallas down the road isn't a pleasant one for me (though I'm sure the group of people whose thesaurus just has 500 synonyms for soft aren't bothered by that idea at all).

It does make the most sense. I'm not sold on Chiasson either. & the fact that Dallas fans are very eager to deal him is telling.

Anaheim has some young pop on the wings, AND they need centers. Easy fit? Spooner for Palmeiri?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bruins balance short-, long-term interests at NHL Draft

Next year, the power in the NHL will remain in the Western Conference in the likes of Los Angeles, Chicago, Anaheim, and St. Louis. If the Bruins can remake their fourth line and increase the metabolism of their defense — think faster, quicker, higher-paced — they’ll be in position for a deeper run than the one Montreal halted.

Part of management’s responsibility this weekend is to put the 2014-15 version of the team in an optimal position to win. The sector requiring improvement is the blue line.

The Bruins are heavy on defensive defensemen: Chara, Seidenberg, Johnny Boychuk, Kevan Miller, and Adam McQuaid. This is not an ideal formation. The game demands mobility, fluidity, and speed in the areas of puck retrieval and movement the other way.

The Bruins won’t have enough cash for a cheese steak, to say nothing of a pace pusher, on the open market come Tuesday. The transition must take place via trade. If so, Boychuk would net the highest return.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...s-nhl-draft/zUOv0R49GoZuwiBMDGwFgI/story.html

Fluto has taken over in all ways for his old pal Dupont. Follow the latest media created trend. Kings, Blackhawks and Ducks are big, physical teams so lets get a small, fast defense they can push around.

The loss to Montreal showed a need for finishers (and a goalie that doesn't **** himself at the sight of the Canadiens) not for speed at the sacrifice of physical tough play. Do they need to get a bit faster, yes. Should it be the main focus of the team in the off season? No. Should Fluto write about another sport? Yes.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
It does make the most sense. I'm not sold on Chiasson either. & the fact that Dallas fans are very eager to deal him is telling.

Anaheim has some young pop on the wings, AND they need centers. Easy fit? Spooner for Palmeiri?

From the trade board (take grain of salt, divide by 10) they didn't seem too interested in Spooner because of Kerdiles and (I think) Karlsson. But that's the sort of trading partner you'd be looking at.

Honestly, outside of Ekblad, that would be the other team I'd be shopping Krejci to. They're looking for a 1B center, and they're loaded with Wings on their EL/2nd contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad