What teams don't have a captain and who do you think gets named captain next?

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
I doubt it.

Being captain is honestly about marketing the team. I'm not in the room or involved with the team. It comes down to Matthews being our franchise player. That's why I think he should be captain.
Agreed. It's really for the fans, selling jerseys, etc.

Is Eichel "captain material." I have no idea. But as a fan I think it's cool that his jersey has a C on it.

Reactions: smitty10

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Agreed. It's really for the fans, selling jerseys, etc.

Is Eichel "captain material." I have no idea. But as a fan I think it's cool that his jersey has a C on it.
Exactly.

I always use him and McDavid as an example when making the argument for Matthews. These guys are the next generation's 'face of the league'. They're captains because they have a dominant skill set and are well known. It only makes sense.

Reactions: Voight

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
VAN - Horvat
TML - Matthews
SJ - Couture
VGK - MaxPac or Stone would be my guess
DET - Larkin, or wait another year
OTT - no strong candidate
NYR - Staal or Kreider would be the default choice but maybe they'll wait another season.
Mika Zibanejad will be the next captain but yes probably next season, although sooner would not shock me.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I doubt it.

Being captain is honestly about marketing the team. I'm not in the room or involved with the team. It comes down to Matthews being our franchise player. That's why I think he should be captain.

I agree to an extent but then you have guys like MacKenzie, Ference and Greene who are/were captains.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I agree to an extent but then you have guys like MacKenzie, Ference and Greene who are/were captains.

Those were probably locker room votes. I can't see a big market team letting a marketing opportunity like that go, the locker room knows who the leader is regardless of which letter is on which jersey.

Reactions: smitty10

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Vegas - Stone
Toronto - Reilly
Detroit - Larkin
Ottawa - none
New York - none
Carolina - Williams
Sharks - Vlassic
Vancouver - Horvat

BrassCompels

Jun 27, 2019
It should be...

Vegas - Stone (2019)
Toronto - Tavares (2019)
Detroit - Larkin (2019)
Ottawa - Melnyk (2019)
New York - Kakko (2020)
Carolina - Aho (2019)
Sharks - Vlasic (2019)
Vancouver - Petterson (2020)

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
there's 11 other teams without captains? sorry little confused lol
No. There is only 7 teams without captains with a potential 8th. Since the Leafs lost their captain 18 other teams also lost their captain and named new ones. I am saying they are taking a much long time to name a captain then any team in recent times. If "VACANT" was a real person he would be the 12th longest reigning captain in the NHL right now as the leafs captain.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Really don't know why teams like Toronto and Vancouver drag this on. It shouldn't be a big deal, if you're not sure just give it to a vet that players respect. The media makes it way bigger than it should be if you let it go on and it gets awkward.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Rangers might not have a captain for a while. I wouldn’t mind giving it to Staal until his contract is up though. Mika has deserved it with his leadership and on ice play as well. Lias has been projected to be our next captain since he was drafted but offensively he’s struggled a bit, though he looked very good in his second call up.

Not tryna be snarky im just wondering, how is Lias Andersson expected to be a captian when he hasnt even done anything in the league? Like is he even a NHL regular yet? Ive never heard of a guy being looked at as the future captain before solidifying a roster spot. I get it with McDavid or Matthews but not a 8th overall pick who isnt a franchise talent. Sorry im just comfused. Was he always the captain on teams that he played for growing up?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yeah its bullshit Goalie's can't be the captain, even on paper. Because it would definitely be Lundqvist. No one else really deserves and the guys who figure to be here long term are still way too young.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
VAN - Horvat
TML - Matthews
SJ - Couture
VGK - MaxPac or Stone would be my guess
DET - Larkin, or wait another year
OTT - no strong candidate
NYR - Staal or Kreider would be the default choice but maybe they'll wait another season.

These all sound about right - maybe Zibanejad too for NYR, but they might go vacant

Reactions: Voight

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Not tryna be snarky im just wondering, how is Lias Andersson expected to be a captian when he hasnt even done anything in the league? Like is he even a NHL regular yet? Ive never heard of a guy being looked at as the future captain before solidifying a roster spot. I get it with McDavid or Matthews but not a 8th overall pick who isnt a franchise talent. Sorry im just comfused. Was he always the captain on teams that he played for growing up?
I said if he develops properly. He has leadership qualities on and off the ice. And I don’t feel like searching up when he was captain but I do remember he captained Sweden at the WJC and was their best forward there. His skating needs to improve a lot though and his offensive game has been up and down. I’m not worried about him though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad